This will convince you to buy a twin

Lance F

En-Route
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Lance F
Our esteemed SixPapaCharlie politely doesn't overly promote his very popular YouTube channel here, but I will. And why? Because my plane and I got to be in his most recent video. Not only is it humorous (as all of his videos are), but it will simultaneously convince you to buy a twin. Here's the link. Enjoy.

9.2 hours gaining my multi engine add on and I’m definitely on board with the performance characteristics of a twin.

If my partners ever wanted to upgrade from the 201 to a 310, well, I wouldn't be opposed :)

"I bet you're wondering what these little fins are for in the back? That's a great question!"

Didn’t watch the video (in a meeting), but I can get behind that!;)

Now that was worth watching. We’ll done.

They was a great video! I had a good laugh watching it. The out takes we’re just as funny

Most of the videos on here are pretty boring but that was very well done!

Did anyone else notice that @SixPapaCharlie used a picture of a 421 for the title slide? :)

...mite!

If anyone would like to partner up on a 310Q located in south Houston, TX, let me know. It is professional pilot and A&P owned.

You must have a multi rating and multi experience. I’m not looking to partner with someone and no multi time. Way too much time and money invested. The preferred pilot is 1500 TT, 250 ME, 25 in C310 for insurance. CFII and MEI.
81d69e9052b2391776d3e6836285daf1.jpg

It has updated avionics, new props. It’s currently getting a new interior now, and I’m replacing 6 green/crazed windows. The new windows are UV grey. It’s in annual now. Located at KEFD. Hope to have the interior fully installed by mid July.

I’m looking for someone that shares the same passion of flying as I do. This means spending some time at the hanger doing occasional preventive maintenance and helping with the annual under supervision of an A&P and IA of course.

74 310Q 5173 TT
LE 1070
RE 1728
Props 45

Dual Garmin G5’s
GTN 650
GTX 345 ADS B In/Out
Century 2000 Autopilot
Garmin Aera 660 panel mount
XM weather and music
Garmin 350C Audio Panel
GTR 225 Comm
Garmin USB
JPI 790 Engine Monitor
Arctic Air Real AC (50lbs)

The right engine is at TBO. I bought the airplane with a TBO’d right engine. These are IO-470’s and go well beyond TBO if maintained correctly.

Engines run great, oil samples are great, I cut the filters recently and zero metal. I’m a follower of Mike Busch and Savvy Analysis subscriber. I upload every cross country for analysis and early detection as well as 6 month oil samples.

Paint/VG’s is the next upgrade and any partner would have input on colors/design.

PM if interested.

a54eb2cc2b1bab2b46f033e60250cb3f.jpg

872548c7e446714a410b5b2ee898d09b.jpg

1110b9da93c05c57dd20a001849b83e8.jpg

e81dab7aaed8b913c5e9500dd5c74b87.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

holy sh#$, I can get a JOB with less time than that..............

JK, good luck.

Just quoting my insurance. Everyone is insurable. It’s just a matter how much you’re willing to pay for it.

Someone like me, who is in the market and is waiting to get my MEL until I have access to a twin, would probably be willing to pay the difference in insurance.

But I totally understand wanting to establish trust with an experienced partner. If I buy before I find a partner, I’ll probably do the same.

Someone like me, who is in the market and is waiting to get my MEL until I have access to a twin, would probably be willing to pay the difference in insurance.

But I totally understand wanting to establish trust with an experienced partner. If I buy before I find a partner, I’ll probably do the same.

I could work with that.

Man I'd be all over that if I still lived in the Houston area.

Now if I could just get @Fracpilot to relocate himself and that 310 to the DFW area...

I just bought one without watching the video. N9044V '72 Beech Baron 58 is now mine. Lol. So now on to some multi engine time building as well relocating some puppys.
Man, that looks pretty damn nice for being a former AirNet check hauling freighter... I think it'd be cool to find and fix up one of the old 310Rs that I flew for US Check 30 years ago, but, methinks they're all worn out and scrapped by now... they were pretty tired when I left there in 1992.

Our esteemed SixPapaCharlie politely doesn't overly promote his very popular YouTube channel here, but I will. And why? Because my plane and I got to be in his most recent video. Not only is it humorous (as all of his videos are), but it will simultaneously convince you to buy a twin. Here's the link. Enjoy.
Before you can convince me to own a twin, you need to convince my consulting clients to double my daily rate. As Dickens wrote,
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
Right now, with my Piper PA-28, I'm still sixpence on the happiness side; the expenses of owning a twin would easily push me sixpence onto the misery side. :(

Man, that looks pretty damn nice for being a former AirNet check hauling freighter... I think it'd be cool to find and fix up one of the old 310Rs that I flew for US Check 30 years ago, but, methinks they're all worn out and scrapped by now... they were pretty tired when I left there in 1992.
Thanks. Yeah she's in pretty decent shape considering the hours >18500. The parts that im having the hardest time finding is the rear spar cover and the headliner most of the other plastics and side panels i think I've located. But it will do for now.

Before you can convince me to own a twin, you need to convince my consulting clients to double my daily rate. As Dickens wrote,

Right now, with my Piper PA-28, I'm still sixpence on the happiness side; the expenses of owning a twin would easily push me sixpence onto the misery side. :(

The expenses of owning a twin are not double like a lot of people think. It’s actually quite manageable. At least in my experience it has been.

The expenses of owning a twin are not double like a lot of people think. It’s actually quite manageable. At least in my experience it has been.
That's fair — airframe repair, instruments, avionics, and home hangar/tie-down don't double, just engine, prop, fuel, insurance (?), and often, transient landing and ramp fees.

I might just squeak by owning a twin until the first $70,000 two-engine overhaul hit, but I'd be forced to sell then, I think. My total flying budget is about US $10K/year (excluding optional upgrades like a new GPS or A/P)—it hasn't been hard to stay in that neighbourhood (±50%) for 19 years with a basic fixed-gear single.

I've also heard even from high-performance single owners that they're much less likely to go up just for fun because of the huge gas cost involved; I'm sure that applies even more to twins. With a PA-28-161 that I can pull back to just over 6 gph @ 55% power LOP, there's nothing to discourage me from going up with no goal at all except to meander along following railroad lines and orbiting lakes for an hour or two.

No argument that piston twins are great cross-country machines. They're roomy, can carry a load, climb faster into the smooth air, get high enough to top weather or follow airways over the Rockies, and sometimes even have pressurisation, radar, and/or (marginally-useful) FIKI. I just don't really need them for my flying (I rarely go more than 500 nm from home), and couldn't afford them even if I did. If I owned a chain of businesses around Canada and the U.S., on the other hand, a twin would make perfect sense for getting around to visit them.

Last edited:
I'm at about 1.7X, moving from a Bonanza S35 with IO-550 to a D55 Baron with IO-550s. I set aside 20 grand for "hour 1" and the rest is fuel. I haven't exceeded that budget yet, which has left room for upgrades.

Some subtleties lie in the already mentioned fixed costs are comparable, hangar and airframe maintenance don't double. I usually ran my Bonanza at 75% power, whereas I tend to run the Baron closer to 60-65% (so 14gph vs 24gph) -- when it's that much fuel, running 28gph for an extra 10kts doesn't feel worth it... unless I'm showing off or feeling small and want to see 200kt on the dial :) My insurance in the baron is 40% higher for comparable hull, but I have a lot more single time than twin, so that may level out over time.

The twin has a 60% higher useful load, or a nearly double 4-hours-of-fuel payload. It's quieter. It doesn't freak out non-pilots (which is erroneous of course, they don't know my training rigor or even the exotic ways the twin may try to kill them), the heater is better, the cargo space is better, it sails through turbulence that would have me crying in the V-tail. It's comforting seeing the redline on the ASI up at 258mph, I know she's gonna take a punch if I need her to.

I definitely don't take it out as often for random hole-boring, but I do plenty of "yo let's go flying" $300 hamburger trips. Honestly I think the hassle of fishing it out of the hangar from an airport 20 minutes from home is the biggest limiter, not the fuel bill.

They're fun, but I like having a plane that is somewhat "serious business" and needs me to stay sharp to fly well. I spend a fair bit of time contemplating selling it though, particularly in this strange market -- twins are gonna be the very first to nosedive when values correct. :)

I’m at 22gph for 178 KIAS. I can go 183 KIAS for 25-26 gph. Doesn’t really seem worth it.

I compare my performance to another 6 seat retract, not a 172 or Cherokee. My buddy had a Saratoga and did 150 Kias on 18-19gph. I’m definitely not double as a twin. I go faster, 1700lb Useful load, 1000nm range for 2-3 gallons more per hour. Not bad.

I agree that pulling it out of the hanger to bore holes is the sky and cleaning it up afterwards is demotivating for me. I may fly it to lunch at a place with cheap gas nearby.

I purposely found a twin with staggered engine overhaul times. $70k for new engines was too much at once for me as well. I have IO470’s and plan to take them past TBO…hopefully.

There are times, like now, that I would not mind selling it, just because it takes so much of my time off to do all of the maintenance. I know my wife is tired of me spending every off day at the hanger.

I started the annual in April. It’s still not done and the windows put me behind another 3 weeks waiting for them. I’ve had to wait on various parts and it just halts progress. Hope to have the annual finished this week. If not, then it has to sit another week while I’m out flying my full time job and then gets my attention again on my next set of days off.

When everything is working and we have the ability to enjoy it, that’s when we truly enjoy airplane ownership. I do enjoy working on it, but I’d much rather be flying it on my days off.

The thing about having a wife and a mistress is each one thinks you’re spending time with the other one, while you’re actually out boring holes in the air.

Back