ADVICE

thomas long

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Thomas Long
Hello everyone!
I’m new here, and an aspiring commercial pilot. I’m glad too see so much sense of community as I explore my options on which path too go. I currently have a full time job, but they are offering a free bachelors degree. Should I go too school first, then start my flight training? Or go too a Part 61 school and do flight training on the side of school too achieve the end goal? I appreciate any insight on this, and again thank you so much!
-Tom

Last edited:
Step one: you have to be able to pass a FAA physical.
Get yourself to an AME and pass a class one physical, if you can’t do that your commercial pilot career is over before it started.

Take the free college, study something you're interested in as a fallback career, start learning to fly in your spare time. Don't go into debt. Start with an introductory lesson to make sure you even like it. And yeah, make sure you can pass the medical.

Thank you for the response..
I have already passed my first class medical, and have been studying for the ground school through sportys online ground school too prepare for when I start so I don’t waste my CFIs time with lack of knowledge. I’m just really tied with exactly which direction I want too go. I know seniority is everything in the airline's, which is why I’m leaning towards a part 61 school and pay as I go too get my foot in the door. I could always take the college courses on the side because I know many of the majors like too see a bachelors.

+1000 to get the free bachelor’s degree in a field that can be used in addition to or as a replacement for aviation. Such as IT, finance, business management, supply chain, etc.

Hello everyone!
I’m new here, and an aspiring commercial pilot. I’m glad too see so much sense of community as I explore my options on which path too go. I currently have a full time job, but they are offering a free bachelors degree. Should I go too school first, then start my flight training? Or go too a Part 61 school and do flight training on the side of school too achieve the end goal? I appreciate any insight on this, and again thank you so much!
-Tom

Why not do both at the same time? Sure it will be a lot of work, but if you do Part 61, you can pick your hours and do self-study.

Why not do both at the same time? Sure it will be a lot of work, but if you do Part 61, you can pick your hours and do self-study.
I’m highly considering that option! I’de be crazy not too take advantage of the amazing opportunity I have presented in front of me. Do you think it’s feasible too manage a part 61 and take some classes on the side?

+1000 to get the free bachelor’s degree in a field that can be used in addition to or as a replacement for aviation. Such as IT, finance, business management, supply chain, etc.
My field of study was a major in business management with a minor in computer science or IT

Another thing on my mind that I should add is that I’m 24 years old. If I spend the time for the bachelors first I’ll be nearing 28-29. If I wait til flight training til then I’ll be nearing low 30s in my guess before I complete everything. That’s still a good age right?

I have already passed my first class medical, and have been studying for the ground school through sportys online ground school too prepare for when I start so I don’t waste my CFIs time with lack of knowledge.

LOL! Wasting their time? That's what CFI's are paid for. It's good to get a jump on the material, but most will follow a syllabus and you will likely have to go through it anyway...

Another thing on my mind that I should add is that I’m 24 years old. If I spend the time for the bachelors first I’ll be nearing 28-29. If I wait til flight training til then I’ll be nearing low 30s in my guess before I complete everything. That’s still a good age right?

From my perspective it's a great age. But I'm pushing mid-fifties, so... At 30 you would have a 35 year career in front of you. Plenty of time! But you are correct, the airlines are seniority based, so the sooner you get that hire date the better. As others have said, Part 61 may be the way to go. After you have two years of college you will likely be competitive enough to get on with a regional. Continue going to school while flying for the regional and finish the BA/BS.

But consider that airlines aren't for everyone. My father flew for 32 years for a major airline and always told me living out of a suitcase gets old. He also thought I had the better deal with a regular job. So pick a major that you enjoy, you may find you would rather have a different career...

Good Luck!

If possible, do both at the same time. That way, you’re not flushing 4 years of seniority down the toilet to get your degree first. Good luck!
PM with any questions. I got my bachelors in economics and flew concurrently.

Hello everyone!
I currently have a full time job, but they are offering a free bachelors degree. Should I go too school first, then start my flight training? Or go too a Part 61 school and do flight training on the side of school too achieve the end goal? I appreciate any insight on this, and again thank you so much!
-Tom

Are there any strings attached to the "free" bachelors degree? I'm thinking commitment to work for that firm after graduating.

My experience:

I had free tuition back in the 70's because my father was a low paid college professor. The college would pay tuition at any other school. I had to pay room and board. I went the part 61 route. Had my CFI before I finished my sophomore year and replaced the side gig I was working to pay room and board with instructing. I attended a major aeronautical university and graduated with an aviation management degree. I had over 1000 hrs v. my peers who graduated with 250 hrs. After instructing and flying checks I found myself with a family and a starvation wage job at a regional. After eight years, seven as captain, I got tired of the lifestyle and returned to school for a graduate degree.

Did I make the right choices? I don't know. My only regret is that now I must pay to fly.

Evaluate your options, be creative and make the choice that works for you.

Along with other posters, I'd vote to do both at the same time. Don't know about the details of your 'free' bachelors degree, but I think you'd be nuts to pass that up. Flight training would probably be the equivalent, time-wise, of, say, one 4-credit hour college course, with lab, maybe like chemistry or biology. Hard to do if you've already got a full load of classes, but not at all impossible. As to the seniority issue, personally, I wouldn't worry about that, it'll happen when it happens, you're not too old to start, whenever. And, there's many other options of professional flying careers besides the airlines.

Wow the first couple of post hit my big recommendations
Get a 1 class medical
Get the degree and in a discipline other than aviation, so if you don’t like it, are furloughed, or loose 1 class medical you have a back up.
Start flying at local airport while getting the degree.
Don’t get arrested, dui and if possible don’t fail checkrides.
My sister in law hires pilots for my company, the last sentence is not necessarily a career killer but makes it harder.

If you really need advice solving this issue flying is not for you.

Back