KSNA C-310 Down

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's funny how people claim that the 310 has a complicated fuel system, but it's really not if you study and understand it
There is nothing funny about it. Compare it to say a Baron fuel system and you'll understand why people refer to it as 'more complicated'....because it is. Don't confuse the term 'more 'complicated' with faulty or necessarily inferior. You are correct, once you familiarize yourself with the system, there isn't anything wrong with it. BUT you have to spend a lot more time familiarizing yourself with the system than say a Baron where you likely never touch the selectors other than to verify they are on.

I must say that's an odd practice if they didn't bother to say it was simulated..

Well maybe where you fly but ATC appreciated the heads up. We trained in a high volume student training airport and by letting them know what was going on, they adjusted accordingly. And another thing, it wasn't simulated - the engine was feathered.

Well maybe where you fly but ATC appreciated the heads up. We trained in a high volume student training airport and by letting them know what was going on, they adjusted accordingly. And another thing, it wasn't simulated - the engine was feathered.
Just because you feathered it, doesn't make it an actual engine failure.. it's still simulated. The courteous thing to do would be to tell tower it's a simulated engine failure back to land, regardless if it's a high volume student environment or not. Maybe I'm thinking on a weird level here? Just my 2c

Just because you feathered it, doesn't make it an actual engine failure.. it's still simulated. The courteous thing to do would be to tell tower it's a simulated engine failure back to land, regardless if it's a high volume student environment or not. Maybe I'm thinking on a weird level here? Just my 2c
In my class D , we always let ATC know simulated engine failure, emergency descent etc. It makes sense to inform the guy that it's an training exercise who is watching the radar and seeing a plane diving at 100 kts and going from 6k to 2k

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

In my class D , we always let ATC know simulated engine failure, emergency descent etc. It makes sense to inform the guy that it's an training exercise who is watching the radar and seeing a plane diving at 100 kts and going from 6k to 2k

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Exactly. That's the way it should be done, busy airspace or not. I can't imagine an ATC facility that would "appreciate the heads up" for announcing a false engine failure when you're actually just doing a training exercise.

Exactly. That's the way it should be done, busy airspace or not. I can't imagine an ATC facility that would "appreciate the heads up" for announcing a false engine failure when you're actually just doing a training exercise.
Especially if they rolled the trucks...

Four years later, and we are still waiting on the NTSB report. After about two years, I reached out to the NTSB investigator assigned to the case, Andrew Swick to see when he thought the final report would be published. He responded, "... a couple more months." (Maybe he wasn't relying on Earth months when he said that.)

Also four years later, Pisano's insurance company, US Specialty still refuses to accept liability. They have hired a law firm, Michaelis Montanari & Johnson to defend him. Four years later, I am still trying to recover my damages. In a court filing, Garry Montanari, Esq. stated that any claimants are barred from recovery due to the doctrine of "imminent peril." Of course, the case law that Mr. Montanari, Esq. cited does not involve aircraft about to plunge onto one of the busiest freeways in the United States of America. And more than that, the case law he cited referenced a situation that involved a split-second decision, not the methodical training and emergency planning GA pilots are presumed to employ. If you look up the animation of the crash on VASAviation, you'll see that Pisano flew for nearly a minute before banking hard to the right.

Pisano has never said that there was anything wrong with the left engine. He has even admitted the plane had the ability to climb just fine.

Four years later, and we are still waiting on the NTSB report. After about two years, I reached out to the NTSB investigator assigned to the case, Andrew Swick to see when he thought the final report would be published. He responded, "... a couple more months." (Maybe he wasn't relying on Earth months when he said that.)

Also four years later, Pisano's insurance company, US Specialty still refuses to accept liability. They have hired a law firm, Michaelis Montanari & Johnson to defend him. Four years later, I am still trying to recover my damages. In a court filing, Garry Montanari, Esq. stated that any claimants are barred from recovery due to the doctrine of "imminent peril." Of course, the case law that Mr. Montanari, Esq. cited does not involve aircraft about to plunge onto one of the busiest freeways in the United States of America. And more than that, the case law he cited referenced a situation that involved a split-second decision, not the methodical training and emergency planning GA pilots are presumed to employ. If you look up the animation of the crash on VASAviation, you'll see that Pisano flew for nearly a minute before banking hard to the right.

Pisano has never said that there was anything wrong with the left engine. He has even admitted the plane had the ability to climb just fine.

Who’s who here? Sounds like Pisano is the pilot. Who are you and what were your damages?

EDIT: https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/truck-clipped-by-plane-that-crashed-on-405-freeway/18994/

Did you have your truck insured? If so, did your insurance company just blow it off?

Last edited:
This is why everybody lawyers up. What has your lawyer advised? Or were you waiting for the insurance folks to send Rip Taylor with a bag o cash and prizes for whatever your damages are?

In my experiences, damages that have receipts ("You broke my X") get paid quickly, others ("I have suffered emotional distress by seeing a plane crash and have been hiding under a bedsheet instead of going to work and need insurance to pay my missing salary") need to litigate to get paid. Then they don't get paid because the receipts-holders have priority.

This is why everybody lawyers up. What has your lawyer advised? Or were you waiting for the insurance folks to send Rip Taylor with a bag o cash and prizes for whatever your damages are?

In my experiences, damages that have receipts ("You broke my X") get paid quickly, others ("I have suffered emotional distress by seeing a plane crash and have been hiding under a bedsheet instead of going to work and need insurance to pay my missing salary") need to litigate to get paid. Then they don't get paid because the receipts-holders have priority.

ARTICLE I SECTION 1 of the California Constitution reads:
ALL people are by nature free and independent and have inalienable rights. Among these are enjoying and defending life and liberty, acquiring, possessing, and protecting property, and pursuing and obtaining safety, happiness, and privacy.

On Jun 30, 2017, Pisano infringed these inalienable rights to which I was entitled under this constitution.

I was one of several motorists who Pisano struck. My vehicle was struck the hardest, spun around 360 degrees within about a second and was slammed into the right retaining wall. I'm guessing Pisano's plane struck my vehicle at over 100 MPH. I thought I was going to be crushed alive. I also thought my vehicle was going to roll over and that I was going to die that way. It's really only by the grace of God (and maybe a little bit of skill on my part) that I survived.

The vehicle was declared a total loss and although I didn't appear visibly injured at the scene, I suffered spinal injuries which are permanent to this day. Perhaps surgery can resolve what's remaining, but the surgical options I've explored so far aren't reversible and involve certain risks and tradeoffs.

I wasn't commenting so much about my injuries as the legal argument according to Mr. Pisano's attorney that people on the ground aren't entitled to any sense of safety. According to him, pilots have no duty of care toward the unsuspecting public. But judging from the slant of the previous three comments, I'm starting to get the feeling this might be the prevailing attitude amongst general aviation pilots, that if they get into trouble, then all bets are off and no one else but them matters.

One of the problems I had with Mr. Pisano was that he appeared to be refusing to provide his insurance information even to the CHP. That is, while the CHP obtained the insurance information from all the innocent motorists, they weren't able to obtain Pisano's aviation insurance information. It was eventually explained to me that there isn't actually any law requiring pilots to have airplane insurance. Therefore, the police can't enforce a law that doesn't exist.

In my view, I would have thought Mr. Pisano would have been grateful God had spared his life and would have gladly furnished this information whether or not he thought he was at fault. Not being an aviator, I actually had to do a bit of detective work to run it down and finally was able to obtain the policy information by invoking the Freedom of Information Act upon the John Wayne Airport. And even though Pisano and his family issued press releases lauding the heroism of fire captain, John Meffert who helped to effect the rescue of the Pisanos, after more than 6 weeks, no one from the Pisano family provided the insurance info even to him. Mr. Meffert even visited the Pisanos in the hospital two times just to see how they were fairing. But none of the Pisanos volunteered the info. After about a month and a half, Mr. Meffert followed up with me to obtain the insurance info.

I can't say whether or not Pisano's selfishness, indifference and cowardice is typical of pilots who crash their planes into to other people. I would certainly hope not.

But unfortunately for me, Pisano and his insurance company, US Specialty (aka TOKIO MARINE) have done everything they can to stonewall me at every turn even though Pisano has himself effectively admitted liability in September 2017 when I spoke to him briefly by phone and again in the deposition he gave last Friday.

Like I said before, I find it more than a little shocking that apparently, according to Mr. Montanari, Esq., he thinks that any pilots in an 'emergency' have carte-blanche to demolish other people's property and injure them permanently with impunity.

Another example of the sheer scumbag nature of Montanari, when he filed his Answer in court the First Affirmative Defense he raised was "Contributory Negligence." This is to say, that while I was using the 405 freeway exactly as intended by driving southbound toward the MacArthur exit, I was "completely barred" from any kind of recovery by virtue of this defense. Well, the fact of the matter is that California did away with the legal defense of "Contributory Negligence" around 1979 when California became a "Comparative Negligence" state. That's how much of a scumbag he is. He's raising a defense that doesn't even exist in law.

Maybe no one on this forum has any empathy for me and thinks Pisano is perfectly justified in shafting everyone who was negatively affected because he purportedly sustained an 'emergency situation.' Maybe it's like with cops and the "thin blue line." Right or wrong, they all stick together. I don't know if that's the situation here. But I'd have to ask any of you how you'd feel if someone else left you with a lot of broken pieces to pick up, how you'd feel about it.

And on a spiritual level The Golden Rule says:
"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."

Clearly, I don't have a very high opinion of Mr. Pisano or Montanari as human beings. Even though there are evil people out there who never have to deal with the consequences of their evil deeds, every once in a while, God does pay some of these people a visit.

All Pisano has to do is say, "Mr. Hamilton, I'm very sorry this happened. What can I do to make it right?" But, of course, Pisano's too cowardly to do what's right.

Last edited:
ALL people are by nature free and independent and have inalienable rights. Among these are enjoying and defending life and liberty, acquiring, possessing, and protecting property, and pursuing and obtaining safety, happiness, and privacy.

On Jun 30, 2017, Pisano infringed these inalienable rights to which I was entitled under this constitution.

I was one of several motorists who Pisano struck. My vehicle was struck the hardest, spun around 360 degrees within about a second and was slammed into the right retaining wall. I'm guessing Pisano's plane struck my vehicle at over 100 MPH. I thought I was going to be crushed alive. I also thought my vehicle was going to roll over and that I was going to die that way. It's really only by the grace of God that I survived.

The vehicle was declared a total loss and although I didn't appear visibly injured at the scene, I suffered spinal injuries which are permanent to this day. Perhaps surgery can resolve what's remaining, but the surgical options I've explored so far aren't reversible and involve certain risks and tradeoffs.

I wasn't commenting so much about my injuries as the legal argument according to Mr. Pisano's attorney that people on the ground aren't entitled to any sense of safety. According to him, pilots have no duty of care toward the unsuspecting public. But judging from the slant of the previous three comments, I'm starting to get the feeling this might be the prevailing attitude amongst general aviation pilots, that if they get into trouble, then all bets are off and no one else but them matters.

One of the problems I had with Mr. Pisano was that he appeared to be refusing to even provide his insurance information even to the CHP. That is, while the CHP obtained the insurance information from all the innocent motorists, they weren't able to obtain Pisano's aviation insurance information. It was eventually explained to me that there isn't actually any law requiring pilots to have airplane insurance. Therefore, the police can't enforce a law that doesn't exist.

In my view, I would have thought Mr. Pisano would have been grateful God had spared his life and would have gladly furnished this information whether or not he thought he was at fault. Not being an aviator, I actually had to do a bit of detective work to run it down and finally was able to obtain the policy information by invoking the Freedom of Information Act upon the John Wayne Airport. And even though Pisano and his family issued press releases lauding the heroism of fire captain, John Meffert who helped to effect the rescue of the Pisanos, after more than 6 weeks, no one from the Pisano family provided the insurance info even to him. Mr. Meffert even visited the Pisanos in the hospital two times just to see how they were fairing. But the none of the Pisanos volunteered the info. After about a month and a half, Mr. Meffert followed up with me to obtain the insurance info.

I can't say whether or not Pisano's indifference and cowardice is typical of pilots who crash their planes into to other people. I would certainly hope not.

But unfortunately for me, Pisano and his insurance company have done everything they can to stonewall me at every turn even though Pisano has himself effectively admitted liability in September 2017 when I spoke to him briefly by phone and again in the deposition he gave last Friday.

Like I said before, I find it more than a little shocking that apparently, according to Mr. Montanari, Esq., he thinks that any pilots in an 'emergency' have carte-blanche to demolish other people's property and injure them permanently with impunity.

Another example of the sheer scumbag nature of Montanari, when he filed his Answer in court the First Affirmative Defense he raised was "Contributory Negligence." This is to say, that while I was using the 405 freeway exactly as intended by driving southbound toward the MacArthur exit, I was "completely barred" from any kind of recovery by virtue of this defense. Well, the fact of the matter is that California did away with the legal defense of "Contributory Negligence" around 1979 when California became a "Comparative Negligence" state. That's how much of a scumbag he is. He's raising a defense that doesn't even exist in law.

Maybe no one on this forum has any empathy for me and thinks Pisano is perfectly justified in shafting everyone who was negatively affected because he sustained an emergency situation. Maybe it's like with cops and the "thin blue line." Right or wrong, they all stick together. I don't know if that's the situation here. But I'd have to ask any of you how you'd feel if someone else left you with a lot of broken pieces to pick up, how you'd feel about it.

Clearly, I don't have a very high opinion of Mr. Pisano or Montanari as human beings. Even though there are evil people out there who never have to deal with the consequences of their evil deeds, every once in a while, God does pay some of these people a visit.

All Pisano has to do is say, "Mr. Hamilton, I'm very sorry this happened. What can I do to make it right?" But, of course, he's too cowardly to do what's right.

What’s the Case? Who vs Who. Is there a number? Which Court?

Mr. Hamilton,

First of all, I'm sorry for the trouble you are going through and the injuries you sustained, through no fault of your own.

And, of course, for the financial losses I'm sure you've incurred if you had to pay your own medical bills and replace your vehicle with no help from insurance.

The vehicle was declared a total loss and although I didn't appear visibly injured at the scene, I suffered spinal injuries which are permanent to this day.

Were you examined at the scene? Transported? Examined at some later date?

That's not at all how most of us feel - But the attitude you're seeing here is mainly because aviation is constantly under attack. We pay insane insurance rates because of the number of lawsuits (often frivolous) that are filed after a crash, often with big payouts. Airports close every day, meaning we have fewer places to store our planes and have to drive farther to use them. And for some reason, I feel bad even saying that because your first reaction will probably be "oh gee, poor rich guy. :rolleyes:" But in reality, we're generally not super rich. Many of us have a plane instead of a boat. Many of the airplanes that we fly cost no more than what a new car costs. But, we're treated as if we're out-of-touch one-percenters.

So, I think what you're seeing above is some defensiveness.

But unfortunately for me, Pisano and his insurance company, US Specialty (aka TOKIO MARINE) have done everything they can to stonewall me at every turn even though Pisano has himself effectively admitted liability in September 2017 when I spoke to him briefly by phone and again in the deposition he gave last Friday.

Hate to break it to you, but that's what insurance companies do. Pretty frickin' evil, but unfortunately a necessary evil for most of us.

Again... Lawyers gonna lawyer. And nobody hates messed-up lawsuits more than pilots, because we see them all the time.

Maybe no one on this forum has any empathy for me and thinks Pisano is perfectly justified in shafting everyone who was negatively affected because he purportedly sustained an 'emergency situation.' Maybe it's like with cops and the "thin blue line." Right or wrong, they all stick together. I don't know if that's the situation here. But I'd have to ask any of you how you'd feel if someone else left you with a lot of broken pieces to pick up, how you'd feel about it.

He isn't at all justified... But chances are, he's merely doing exactly what his and/or his insurance company's lawyers are telling him to do. And I'd bet that your lawyer, if you have one, will take a very dim view of your post here. The court of public opinion does not play well in actual court.

All Pisano has to do is say, "Mr. Hamilton, I'm very sorry this happened. What can I do to make it right?" But, of course, Pisano's too cowardly to do what's right.

Or that's what the lawyers told him to do.

BTW, I don't think you need an NTSB report to file a lawsuit, since their conclusions are not admissible anyway.

My advice: If you don't already have a lawyer, you need one. If you do have one... What have they told you? Might want to get a better one. Sad, but it seems that's how this country works. :(

I was one of several motorists who Pisano struck. My vehicle was struck the hardest, spun around 360 degrees within about a second and was slammed into the right retaining wall. I'm guessing Pisano's plane struck my vehicle at over 100 MPH. I thought I was going to be crushed alive. I also thought my vehicle was going to roll over and that I was going to die that way. It's really only by the grace of God (and maybe a little bit of skill on my part) that I survived.

One of the problems I had with Mr. Pisano was that he appeared to be refusing to provide his insurance information even to the CHP. That is, while the CHP obtained the insurance information from all the innocent motorists, they weren't able to obtain Pisano's aviation insurance information. It was eventually explained to me that there isn't actually any law requiring pilots to have airplane insurance. Therefore, the police can't enforce a law that doesn't exist.

In my view, I would have thought Mr. Pisano would have been grateful God had spared his life and would have gladly furnished this information whether or not he thought he was at fault. Not being an aviator, I actually had to do a bit of detective work to run it down and finally was able to obtain the policy information by invoking the Freedom of Information Act upon the John Wayne Airport. And even though Pisano and his family issued press releases lauding the heroism of fire captain, John Meffert who helped to effect the rescue of the Pisanos, after more than 6 weeks, no one from the Pisano family provided the insurance info even to him. Mr. Meffert even visited the Pisanos in the hospital two times just to see how they were fairing. But none of the Pisanos volunteered the info. After about a month and a half, Mr. Meffert followed up with me to obtain the insurance info.

I can't say whether or not Pisano's selfishness, indifference and cowardice is typical of pilots who crash their planes into to other people. I would certainly hope not.

Do you go by Karen?

Mr. Hamilton,

First of all, I'm sorry for the trouble you are going through and the injuries you sustained, through no fault of your own.

And, of course, for the financial losses I'm sure you've incurred if you had to pay your own medical bills and replace your vehicle with no help from insurance.

Were you examined at the scene? Transported? Examined at some later date?

That's not at all how most of us feel - But the attitude you're seeing here is mainly because aviation is constantly under attack. We pay insane insurance rates because of the number of lawsuits (often frivolous) that are filed after a crash, often with big payouts. Airports close every day, meaning we have fewer places to store our planes and have to drive farther to use them. And for some reason, I feel bad even saying that because your first reaction will probably be "oh gee, poor rich guy. :rolleyes:" But in reality, we're generally not super rich. Many of us have a plane instead of a boat. Many of the airplanes that we fly cost no more than what a new car costs. But, we're treated as if we're out-of-touch one-percenters.

So, I think what you're seeing above is some defensiveness.

Hate to break it to you, but that's what insurance companies do. Pretty frickin' evil, but unfortunately a necessary evil for most of us.

Again... Lawyers gonna lawyer. And nobody hates messed-up lawsuits more than pilots, because we see them all the time.

He isn't at all justified... But chances are, he's merely doing exactly what his and/or his insurance company's lawyers are telling him to do. And I'd bet that your lawyer, if you have one, will take a very dim view of your post here. The court of public opinion does not play well in actual court.

Or that's what the lawyers told him to do.

BTW, I don't think you need an NTSB report to file a lawsuit, since their conclusions are not admissible anyway.

My advice: If you don't already have a lawyer, you need one. If you do have one... What have they told you? Might want to get a better one. Sad, but it seems that's how this country works. :(

Well put. Thankyou

I was going to write “what’s a non-pilot doing registered on Pilots of America?”, but I’ll go beyond that. Sorry you experienced this accident. Above, lengthy response was good response. You need a good lawyer to help you get insurance companies to pay for any real losses they are obligated to pay. No amount of disgust against pilots, lawyers, or insurance companies is going to solve a thing.

I'd like to understand what you believe about what "rights" are, how they exist, and how this pilot infringed upon them.
I believe in "rights" as well, but I do not ever pre-suppose that my right to life precludes the possibility that an "accident" that NO party intended, or desired to happen, may endanger my life. My rights also do not justify restricting the rights of others to enjoy their lives. If I am a dedicated pedestrian, that does not mean that you cannot drive a car, for instance.

I know that there are a lot of modern interpretations of the word "Rights" but it is often helpful, needful, useful, to go back to the definitions that were in effect when many of these documents were written.

To quote the Webster's 1828 Dictionary:

http://webstersdictionary1828.com/Dictionary/right
RIGHT, noun

10. Just claim; immunity; privilege. All men have a right to the secure enjoyment of life, personal safety, liberty and property. We deem the right of trial by jury invaluable, particularly in the case of crimes. Rights are natural, civil, political, religious, personal, and public.

11. Authority; legal power. We have no right to disturb others in the enjoyment of their religious opinions.

Last edited:
Four years later, and we are still waiting on the NTSB report.
Looks to me on the NTSB website the final report was issued May 6, 2021.

I was one of several motorists who Pisano struck. My vehicle was struck the hardest, spun around 360 degrees within about a second and was slammed into the right retaining wall.
I'm glad to see you and your passenger were OK - in fact, it looks like you were well enough to give a TV interview at the time of the event, per the video in posts 5 and 50 ("That's life, I guess..."). Interesting to note, I guess you were an Uber driver getting paid at the time of the accident? Did the insurance on your truck cover the repair, given that you were using it for commercial purposes at the time? Did Uber help you get assistance for your truck and back pain, since you were driving for them? How did your customer do in the long run?

Maybe no one on this forum has any empathy for me and thinks Pisano is perfectly justified in shafting everyone who was negatively affected because he purportedly sustained an 'emergency situation.'
Not sure where you're getting any idea that "no one on this forum has any empathy for me..." - haven't seen ANY evidence of that. I will say, whereas the accident caught you completely off-guard and was over for you within seconds, this pilot and his passenger (wife?), not flying for profit, lived through some terrifying minutes and were lucky to be alive. I don't know him at all but can pretty much guarantee he didn't start off the day planning to crash his plane (with his wife in it), let alone into someone else as he lost control in the air. I suspect, if he's a normal human being, he still has flashbacks of that terrifying event, regardless of his role in the cause. Hopefully you have the empathy for him and his wife you're looking for here?

Not sure what your goal was in joining this aviation forum and posting this stuff here. I'm very glad you and your customer appear to have survived this event well.

looks like the entire right rear blinker would have to be replaced on that blue truck.

This same Blackstone Hamilton in California or a different one?

https://unicourt.com/case/ca-ora-blackstone-hamilton-vs-francis-pisano-992066

How'd suing Pisano go for you?

‘Miracle on the 405’: Survivors of freeway plane crash tell their story – Orange County Register (ocregister.com)

Looks like they're grateful for the outcome. Seems a shame they get to relive the events on a frequent basis because of an ongoing lawsuit. I'm pretty sure they weren't able to give an on-scene interview that day...

As stated previously, even though Pisano himself believes that his insurance company, US Specialty (aka TOKIO MARINE) should have covered all the damages that he caused (intentionally or unintentionally), it's his insurance company that's been putting up the fight. When I spoke to Pisano by phone in Sep 2017, he told me he was perplexed why they wouldn't be covering the damages. And during the deposition he gave last Friday, May 28, he reiterated his confoundment as to why his insurance company refused to pay the damages he had caused (inadvertently or not).

Under California law for a personal injury claim, if a claimant cannot reach a resolution with a defendant or his insurance company (e.g. TOKIO MARINE) within two years, the claimant has to file a lawsuit in order to preserve his or her claim - or forever forget about recovering said claim. For property damage (alone), the injured party has three years.

Accordingly, it has been US Specialty (aka TOKIO MARINE) who has refused to accept liability for Pisano's failed landing attempt. And following from that, my lawsuit was filed relatively close to the end of the statute of limitations. That is, reluctantly. Therefore, it hasn't been me who's been causing Mr. or Mrs. Pisano to "relive the events on a frequent basis;" it has been their insurance carrier, US Specialty (aka TOKIO MARINE) that has been putting the Pisano's through any potential 'trauma' of "reliving the events."

In a similar way, while Uber's insurance carrier, James River wrote me a check (less $1,000 as a deductible) for the totaled vehicle in 2017, they were faced with filing a lawsuit against Pisano (and his insurance company) as the three-year statute of limitations was about to expire - unless they could settle with these parties before the expiration date. This is to say, that if James River didn't file a lawsuit to recover the loss of the totaled vehicle within three years, James River would recover nothing and I would not recover the $1,000 either (see "subrogation"). And whether or not James River opted to sue Pisano and/or US Specialty or settle, was not up to me. As this date approached, James River threatened a lawsuit against Pisano and US Specialty (aka TOKIO MARINE). However, because of the expense involved with litigating the case (and that the NTSB report was still in limbo), James River ultimately accepted about one third of the value that they had paid out to me in 2017. Thus, US Specialty called their bluff and paid pennies on the dollar.

As a side note, most major auto carriers (like State Farm) at least in California are part of an arbitration exchange. So they typically don't actually go to court over these kinds of refusals to settle. However, since US Specialty (aka TOKIO MARINE) is based out of Texas and doesn't participate in these arbitration exchanges, then the only way James River would have had to recover the total loss of the vehicle would have been to file a lawsuit, which in California costs $435 just to file in superior court.

This is the business model of insurance carriers. Charge as much as possible to the customer (e.g. Frank Pisano), then stiff all the people their insured causes damage to in a high-risk activity - all the while 'traumatizing' their customers (e.g. the Pisanos) by litigating the matter and causing them to "relive the events."

So you were made whole minus a $1,000 deductible on your insurance policy?

Go with a lower deductible next time?

This is the business model of insurance carriers. Charge as much as possible to the customer (e.g. Frank Pisano), then stiff all the people their insured causes damage to in a high-risk activity - all the while 'traumatizing' their customers (e.g. the Pisanos) by litigating the matter and causing them to "relive the events."

EXACTLY. Like I said, insurance companies are evil. They have two functions:

1) Collect premiums.
2) Deny coverage.

Those are the things that increase their profits, and thus they tend to be scummy as hell. But there's nothing we can do about it as pilots either. It might be worth having a conversation with your state legislators, as the states are really the only ones keeping the insurance companies from just running off with all of your money.

As stated previously, even though Pisano himself believes that his insurance company, US Specialty (aka TOKIO MARINE) should have covered all the damages that he caused (intentionally or unintentionally), it's his insurance company that's been putting up the fight. When I spoke to Pisano by phone in Sep 2017, he told me he was perplexed why they wouldn't be covering the damages. And during the deposition he gave last Friday, May 28, he reiterated his confoundment as to why his insurance company refused to pay the damages he had caused (inadvertently or not).

Under California law for a personal injury claim, if a claimant cannot reach a resolution with a defendant or his insurance company (e.g. TOKIO MARINE) within two years, the claimant has to file a lawsuit in order to preserve his or her claim - or forever forget about recovering said claim. For property damage (alone), the injured party has three years.

Accordingly, it has been US Specialty (aka TOKIO MARINE) who has refused to accept liability for Pisano's failed landing attempt. And following from that, my lawsuit was filed relatively close to the end of the statute of limitations. That is, reluctantly. Therefore, it hasn't been me who's been causing Mr. or Mrs. Pisano to "relive the events on a frequent basis;" it has been their insurance carrier, US Specialty (aka TOKIO MARINE) that has been putting the Pisano's through any potential 'trauma' of "reliving the events."

In a similar way, while Uber's insurance carrier, James River wrote me a check (less $1,000 as a deductible) for the totaled vehicle in 2017, they were faced with filing a lawsuit against Pisano (and his insurance company) as the three-year statute of limitations was about to expire - unless they could settle with these parties before the expiration date. This is to say, that if James River didn't file a lawsuit to recover the loss of the totaled vehicle within three years, James River would recover nothing and I would not recover the $1,000 either (see "subrogation"). And whether or not James River opted to sue Pisano and/or US Specialty or settle, was not up to me. As this date approached, James River threatened a lawsuit against Pisano and US Specialty (aka TOKIO MARINE). However, because of the expense involved with litigating the case (and that the NTSB report was still in limbo), James River ultimately accepted about one third of the value that they had paid out to me in 2017. Thus, US Specialty called their bluff and paid pennies on the dollar.

As a side note, most major auto carriers (like State Farm) at least in California are part of an arbitration exchange. So they typically don't actually go to court over these kinds of refusals to settle. However, since US Specialty (aka TOKIO MARINE) is based out of Texas and doesn't participate in these arbitration exchanges, then the only way James River would have had to recover the total loss of the vehicle would have been to file a lawsuit, which in California costs $435 just to file in superior court.

Hamilton

You keep calling him Pisano, which sounds…dismissive or insulting. Given your questions about the empathy of others, it’s difficult to sense any on your part.

“Nobody cares what you think unless they think you care”. Food for thought….

And I agree with TrueCourse: you’re on the wrong forum, IMHO.

Looks to me on the NTSB website the final report was issued May 6, 2021.

They did? I just went to the NTSB site and put in the case number: WPR17LA136
Last updated 3/23/2021 4:58 PM.

Project Summary: Aviation Investigation - 24 Docket Items - WPR17LA136
Description: N87297, CESSNA 310R
Mode: Aviation
NTSB Number: WPR17LA136
Date of Accident: 06/30/2017
City: Santa Ana
State/Region: CA
Project Type: Investigation

Docket Information
Creation Date: 12/30/2019
Last Modified: 03/23/2021 4:58 PM
Public Release Date & Time: 03/24/2021 8:00 AM

It produces this table of contents:

1 NTSB-ENGINE DATA MONITOR FACTUAL REPORT
2 NTSB-ENGINE DATA MONITOR FACTUAL REPORT - ATTACHMENT 1 - DOWNLOAD DATA SPREADSHEET 3 0 Other
3 NTSB-ENGINE DATA MONITOR FACTUAL REPORT - ATTACHMENT 2 - PLOTTED ENGINE DATA 4 0 Text/Image
4 RADAR AND ATC COMM
5 RECORD OF CONVERSATION-PILOT
6 FAA ONSITE NOTES
7 FD-ONSITE NOTES AND PHOTOS
8 NTSB WRECKAGE EXAMINATION SUMMARY
9 TEXTRON AVIATION-TECH REPORT
10 CMG-LEFT ENGINE EXAMINATION REPORT
11 CMG-RIGHT ENGINE EXAMINATION REPORT
12 MAINTENANCE RECORDS
13 MCCAULEY EXAMINATION MEMO
14 POH ENGINE FAILURE AFTER TAKEOFF-EXCERPTS
15 X-RAY IMAGES OF THE FUEL SELECTOR VALVE ASSEMBLIES
16 WEIGHT AND BALANCE CHART
17 STATEMENT OF PARTY REPRESENTATIVES TO NTSB INVESTIGATION-CMG
18 STATEMENT OF PARTY REPRESENTATIVES TO NTSB INVESTIGATION-TEXTRON AVIATION
19 RELEASE OF AIRCRAFT WRECKAGE, NTSB FORM 6120.15
20 PD ONSITE PHOTO ARRAY
21 FAA-PHOTO ARRAY
22 VIDEO 1
23 VIDEO 2
24 VIDEO 3
What site are you looking at that provides a final report as of May 6, 2021?

Not sure what your goal was in joining this aviation forum and posting this stuff here.

Well I stumbled upon this forum because I was looking for answers concerning this crash and found this thread.

I didn't really want to go into the whole court case and everyone's legal and social perspective. But the first person who responded said:
Sorry I'm not up on the accident. What were your damages?

I didn't really want to take the conversation in that direction. I wanted to find out what other pilots thought of this incident.

One of the issues at hand is whether or not Mr. Pisano handled this emergency situation properly.

In the ensuing years, I have attempted make sense of what happened and have reviewed a lot of training and other aviation material on YouTube, etc. For example, there is the situation with Devin Miller who was presented with a stuck throttle in a single engine (while his family was aboard).
YouTube: Caters Clips Pilot Completes Emergency Landing With Family Onboard (I can't post links yet)
In this emergency situation, Miller maintains his cool, radios to the tower and receives instructions from a ground mechanic.

Another issue is the reliability of Pisano's recollection of the events as they actually occurred. In the CHP report (from back then in 2017), Mr. Pisano said he was at about 350 feet AGL. And now that I've just read through these documents (shown above), I see that contemporaneously, he reported to the NTSB that he was between 400 - 500 feet AGL. A couple of months ago, my attorney sent a "Request for Admission" (RFA) to Mr. Pisano and his attorney, Garry Montanari, Esq. In that RFA, Mr. Pisano said that he was at 500 feet AGL. That admission was made under oath (i.e. penalty of perjury). Then during the deposition, Mr. Pisano said he was at 650 feet AGL when he began his turn to the runway ("base-to-final"). When Mr. Pisano was reminded of his previous written statements about being at 500 feet AGL, then he said well maybe it was 600 feet.

Also during this deposition, Mr. Pisano stated that the "recommended traffic pattern" for runway 20R was 1,000 feet, but that this "recommended traffic pattern" altitude was completely unrelated as to whether (under the conditions of a single engine-out situation) whether or not 500 feet (or even 650 feet was) sufficient to effect the right-banking 180-degree turn.

Until I just now reviewed the video in 4. RADAR AND ATC COMM I realize that Mr. Pisano did not make a simple "racetrack shape" like the animation by VASAviation on YouTube. I see that Mr. Pisano swung back in closer toward the runway before trying to effect his 180 degree turn. This made his turn all the more tight. So I tend to wonder if Mr. Pisano had maintained a wider approach, perhaps he would have made his landing.

Thanks for any input regarding this emergency situation.

Also, if I'm not looking in the right place for the final report, any guidance on that would be helpful too.

Thanks

This is not an emergency situation. Please be honest. In fact, please be honest about your motive here.
When I said "emergency situation," I was referring to the incident of Jun 30, 2017. Not that my inquiry was an emergency. You misinterpreted what I said.

https://data.ntsb.gov/carol-repgen/api/Aviation/ReportMain/GenerateNewestReport/95468/pdf

@Blackstone Hamilton . Factual data is admissible in Court. Probable Cause is not to the best of my knowledge
Thanks so much for posting the link. That was very courteous of you. I tried to find the report myself, but just couldn't figure it out.

As others have already pointed out, this site is not a legal forum, so I won't argue with you about the 'standard of proof' or the rules of evidence. Definitely outside my wheelhouse.

Thanks for your help.

BTW .. as a side note ... when I stumbled across this thread and posted my initial comment, the site notified me that more than likely no one would respond. So, in this particular case, it looks like it was able to bubble to the top.

Best regards

Thanks so much for posting the link. That was very courteous of you. I tried to find the report myself, but just couldn't figure it out.

As others have already pointed out, this site is not a legal forum, so I won't argue with you about the 'standard of proof' or the rules of evidence. Definitely outside my wheelhouse.

Thanks for your help.

BTW .. as a side note ... when I stumbled across this thread and posted my initial comment, the site notified me that more than likely no one would respond. So, in this particular case, it looks like it was able to bubble to the top.

Best regards

You should know that an insured under a policy has no control over how the insurance carrier decides to handle a loss, especially a third party action. Secondly, your "class action" suit against the "Flip or Flop" people is over a robo call? You seem to have a lot of time on your hands.

.....BTW .. as a side note ... when I stumbled across this thread and posted my initial comment, the site notified me that more than likely no one would respond.....

Best regards

@RyanB and other Managment Councilites. Is that some boiler plate thing built into the program or do one of you guys do something like that?

@RyanB and other Managment Councilites. Is that some boiler plate thing built into the program or do one of you guys do something like that?
To my knowledge there isn’t any disclaimer that says that, so I’m not sure what he’s referring to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back