Unhappy as a pig in sht

From the Pik N Pig page:

Unfortunately, we have experienced an extreme tragedy here at the Pik N Pig. There has been a massive fire. Nobody was hurt. There is extensive damage to our beautiful place. We will be closed until further notice. Very sorry for any inconvenience. So sorry about any orders that have already been placed. Please keep us in your prayers. Our hearts are broken.♥️

173886546_787582148562090_6951317879221793551_n.jpg

It isn’t a real bbq joint unless it has a grease fire every now and then.

Wow that sucks! I bet they were smoking brisket and pork butts overnight. Fire in the smoker probably got out of hand. Just a guess but that’s what most places do. Cook the brisket overnight so it’s ready for lunch the next day. Hopefully they have a good insurance policy and can quickly rebuild.

Damn. Hopefully the aviation community can rally around the cause (gofundme?) in case the insurance doesn’t cover the damage.

Ouch.

Hoping for good insurance and a solid rebuild. Maybe with the smoker in a different building.

The stories of smokehouse fires at barbecue restaurants are very frequent.

Very sad news. I'm very close and woke up to it this morning.

Ouch.

Hoping for good insurance and a solid rebuild. Maybe with the smoker in a different building.

The stories of smokehouse fires at barbecue restaurants are very frequent.

the smoker was in a different building, although close enough that a fire could make the jump, apparently.

Well, Damn. I never made it there. I hope they rebuild, and if they do, I’ll definitely make the effort to get there. Southern Soul at SSI went through this and managed to rebound well. Best of luck to them.

I just flew over Pik N Pig on Monday thinking to myself at the time, given the consistent rave reviews, I have to stop there and soon. I sure hope they rebuild.

the smoker was in a different building, although close enough that a fire could make the jump, apparently.
The smoker was unaffected. Still standing in the areal pictures that have been circulating. I know they have been getting some renovations made lately.

Sorry to see the destruction. As an old farmer who has raised lots of hogs, let me comment that (rather vulgar subject line aside) hogs will stay clean if they possibly can. They only wallow in mud if it helps them stay cool, as hogs have no sweat glands and need to find a way to get rid of excess body heat. TGive them a choice and they do not lay around in their own filth.

Damn. I went there when I was working at Ft. Bragg and flying approaches into all the outlying airports...

How many airports have BBQ within walking distance? What a tragedy...

Ugh. Nice place.

Gives new meaning to the words "burnt ends" though.

It is sad, this was the first place I flew off airport to when I was taking lessons at 15 years old. Of course back then the restaurant wasn’t open after the previous failed one had closed for good. Runway felt a lot smaller too as it was surrounded by tall pine trees on all sides.

BBQ joints tend to burn down ever so often. Sounds like he has insurance for the property*.

The good thing with BBQ is that he can be up and running with a trailer and some EZ-ups next week.

* I am not suggesting a link, just my expectation that he will rebuild.

Last edited:
I heard first through the motorcycle grapevine. Horrible

maybe we'll try to organize another fly-in once they reopen. and by fly-in I mean I'll fly in.

I'm busy that day. ;)

I would like to make it. Hopefully they will be back.

Wayne

That's rough. I was just reading about this place a day or so ago that was not fire related. Hope that insurance was in force and they don't have issues financially.

Back