Ventucky Red

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Jon
Does this entry sound "kosher" to you:

Tach = 1026
TT = 1026

Engine shaft removed and inspected for minor prop strike.

That is it, nothing else. This is for a Lycoming 0-235 and the current engine time is 2,373 which if getting close to TBO.

I ask as in the past when I have seen a log entry for a prop strike, and there is usually a very detailed description to what was actually done.

Tach = 1026
TT = 1026

Engine shaft removed and inspected for minor prop strike.

That is it, nothing else. This is for a Lycoming 0-235 and the current engine time is 2,373 which if getting close to TBO.

I ask as in the past when I have seen a log entry for a prop strike, and there is usually a very detailed description to what was actually done.

Not enough information but I'm inclined to say no, that sucks and I wouldn't buy it.

https://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_...e5f8683a0a4686256e9b004bc295/$FILE/041014.pdf

2300+ HRS on the engine? Buy it as a runout and overhaul.

I assume an "engine shaft" is a crankshaft. Admittedly, I am not an A&P, but of those I have worked with, none have referred to a crankshaft in that manner. Removed for a "minor" prop strike?

Any entry in the log about replacing the "engine shaft"?

How long ago did this incident happen?

Is there any documentation of compliance with AD 2004-10-14?

At a minimum, that AD needs to be complied with. Whatever else happened is above and beyond that. You’ll have to decide if you feel comfortable with it or not.

How long ago did this incident happen?

Is there any documentation of compliance with AD 2004-10-14?

At a minimum, that AD needs to be complied with. Whatever else happened is above and beyond that. You’ll have to decide if you feel comfortable with it or not.
Don’t have to comply with Ad if it occurred before then. My engine wasn’t even split, thy just did a runout test on it and it flew another 1000 hours without issues and crank was fine when I overhauled it.

Ditto. My 180 was wrecked before it saw 100 hours since new. I have documentation of significant airframe repairs and not one word about engine or prop. I bought it 1100 hours later and the engine wasn’t a concern.

Don’t have to comply with Ad if it occurred before then. My engine wasn’t even split, thy just did a runout test on it and it flew another 1000 hours without issues and crank was fine when I overhauled it.

Thats part of why I asked when it happened. I believe there was an AD prior to the one I posted though, but I’m too lazy to look.

No. Which shaft? What was the date of the entry? Definitely need to account for this write up in any price offering if looking at aircraft.
I believe there was an AD prior to the one I posted though,
FYI: The 2004 AD superseded AD 91-14-22 as noted in the above link but the 91 AD wasn't as detailed.

No signature/rating/certificate #?
Could an owner have pencil whipped that?

Signature, certificate and rating are there, but you can barley read anything...

I am going to have a full gander at the logs over the weekend... I already know going into this that a new engine, or a rebuild is on the horizon.

Here's the Lycoming service bulletin referred to in the AD:
SB475C.doc (lycoming.com)
I'm not an A&P, but I'm pretty sure the inspections are accomplished without splitting the crankcase, all accessed from the rear accessory case. Not sure how that would translate to "engine shaft removed and inspected."

Not only that, if the crank was removed where is the list of parts replaced? Did they reuse the bearings, rod bolts ect. Sloppy docs make me believe there was sloppy work

Contact the mechanic/shop and see if they have records on the work done.

I’d be very suspect ,if you are talking about a purchase,consider the engine timed out and price it accordingly . Have the engine overhauled.

Back