Sad News. Happy News.

FastEddieB

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Fast Eddie B
Karen and I have never been down to a single dog. This was our gang back in 2013 - all rescues or owner surrenders:

8496850443_9e67967ea4_z.jpg

Clockwise from Jake - the brown dog - was Willie, Halo and Chowder.

Over the last several years we first lost Jake (my best canine friend ever), then Willie quite unexpectedly, and then a recurring untreatable tumor took Chowder from us just over 2 weeks ago.

We're sad, of course, but having multiple dogs, some large, made traveling in our Sky Arrow problematic. Now, being just down to Halo, we can actually start planning trips again. We ordered her some Mutt Muffs and took her up for the first time today, on a short flight to Knoxville Downtown Island and return.

51202321762_c3a27cd467_z.jpg

It was HOT today, but she seemed to handle it OK. She's 10, so we'll hopefully have many flying adventures ahead!

Last edited:
Yup ...at one point we had three labs. One of each color. Last year the last one passed. A couple of weeks ago Mrs.C couldn’t stand being dog-less....and convinced my oldest son to “acquire” another. We now have a great pyrenees puppy and all is well. Here’s Barron, 40lbs and 3 mos old...lol He will be well over 100 lbs in a year or so.

here’s Barron at 13 weeks. Lol

Attachments

• 72BB82A8-E966-4B0C-A99D-1857522E68B9.jpeg
    72BB82A8-E966-4B0C-A99D-1857522E68B9.jpeg
    171.7 KB · Views: 30
  • 22B73271-4BA4-46DC-AAE5-243F57A2DFF4.jpeg
    22B73271-4BA4-46DC-AAE5-243F57A2DFF4.jpeg
    196.7 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Dogs simply rock

PXL_20210321_214738355.jpg

This was a few months ago, he's older and bigger now and has been on quite a few plane trips!

There are two coat color genes operant in Labrador Retrievers. The first, B, acts dominantly to make the dog black if present. BB and Bb genotypes are black. bb is brown. The is a second gene in Lab called E. If a dominant E allele is present the dog is whatever color the B alleles specify. If the dog is ee, that is has two recessive e alleles, it is yellow.

I have a problem of a different and very worrisome nature. My tortoises junk is prolapsed. Yes, he's hanging out and he isn't supposed to. I think I'm going to have to use some sweetened carrot juice to try and shrink the offending member, and then stuffit back into his cloaca with a mineral oil soaked Q tip. What joy.

There are two coat color genes operant in Labrador Retrievers. The first, B, acts dominantly to make the dog black if present. BB and Bb genotypes are black. bb is brown. The is a second gene in Lab called E. If a dominant E allele is present the dog is whatever color the B alleles specify. If the dog is ee, that is has two recessive e alleles, it is yellow.

I have a problem of a different and very worrisome nature. My tortoises junk is prolapsed. Yes, he's hanging out and he isn't supposed to. I think I'm going to have to use some sweetened carrot juice to try and shrink the offending member, and then stuffit back into his cloaca with a mineral oil soaked Q tip. What joy.

Ah, the infamous Testudinidae tally whacker issue. Hope it isn't serious.

Ah, the infamous Testudinidae tally whacker issue. Hope it isn't serious.
Me too. Gave it a week to clear itself up, but I think I'm going to have to intervene. I think he just hurt it in his first round of utterly insane copulatory activity. Teenagers. I should break down and take him to a Vet, but I don't wanna.

Me too. Gave it a week to clear itself up, but I think I'm going to have to intervene. I think he just hurt it in his first round of utterly insane copulatory activity. Teenagers. I should break down and take him to a Vet, but I don't wanna.

I'd probably bring it, it's part of what you sign up for owning something like that. It would bug me wondering if it was in pain.

You forgot the hotly contested Silver Lab.

Enjoy the travel!

I know what ya mean about Jake - I lost my best best friend a few months ago, Capone. Still get damp cheeks when I say his name. I’ve had all good dogs but this one was special.

we had opposite issues for travel- most of ours is overnight camping in the c140 but with only Rocky at home I couldn’t leave him by himself, so we adopted an 8 year old mastif/lab so he has a buddy. Beutiful dog all brindle- but I adopt seniors as I’m not a puppy fan (unless they are someone else’s) well this guy at 8 is still puppy! Lol.

but now the dog door and two of em we don’t feel bad getting away 1-2 nights and if we do two I have my older boys pop by. Oh n yes they have a dog door.

enjoy some flying w ur pup!

It’s always a bummer losing a family pet. Usually it’s not to long before we get another, doesn’t seem right without.

Kara is 6 now, hopefully many years left.

71A08E0A-725C-476D-9333-221E8E302C70.jpeg

I'd probably bring it, it's part of what you sign up for owning something like that. It would bug me wondering if it was in pain.
He doesn't appear to be in any pain at all, and is still eating and behaving normally. The offending member doesn't seem to bother him in the slightest that I can see. I dislike taking exotics to vets in the extreme. Odds are the guy knows little more than I do and will do the exact same thing I would and charge me out the nose for it. Had I any confidence that the vet had done this procedure prior I might acquiesce. The other thing is going to the vet is stressful for most animals, triply so for tortoises who are place dependent and highly stressed when placed in a new environment. If I didn't know why this malady had come about I might go to the vet to figure it out, but I know exactly what happened. I always knew he would turn into a raving sex monster, and I was right. I even know when it happened. My guess is he injured it sightly during the act and it needs to be stuffed back in and time to heal. Indeed the only change in his behavior is I haven't seen him chasing the female lately.

The funny thing is many of your will repair your own vehicles and not take them to a mechanic. I've seen many grouse that they're not allowed to repair their own airplanes. I'm sort of this way about animals, I'm fully able to do most things a vet can do short of major surgery and would rather do them myself. I used to give the dogs their injections, and would only take a exotic to a vet in great need.

He doesn't appear to be in any pain at all, and is still eating and behaving normally. The offending member doesn't seem to bother him in the slightest that I can see. I dislike taking exotics to vets in the extreme. Odds are the guy knows little more than I do and will do the exact same thing I would and charge me out the nose for it. Had I any confidence that the vet had done this procedure prior I might acquiesce. The other thing is going to the vet is stressful for most animals, triply so for tortoises who are place dependent and highly stressed when placed in a new environment. If I didn't know why this malady had come about I might go to the vet to figure it out, but I know exactly what happened. I always knew he would turn into a raving sex monster, and I was right. I even know when it happened. My guess is he injured it sightly during the act and it needs to be stuffed back in and time to heal. Indeed the only change in his behavior is I haven't seen him chasing the female lately.

The funny thing is many of your will repair your own vehicles and not take them to a mechanic. I've seen many grouse that they're not allowed to repair their own airplanes. I'm sort of this way about animals, I'm fully able to do most things a vet can do short of major surgery and would rather do them myself. I used to give the dogs their injections, and would only take a exotic to a vet in great need.

Offending member, lol. Well, you do know more than most about this stuff. Hope things calm down for him. Maybe she bit it?

Offending member, lol. Well, you do know more than most about this stuff. Hope things calm down for him. Maybe she bit it?
She could have bit it, the other tortoise could have bit it, he could have scraped it on a weed or a rock. He could have hurt it in the act, Mrs. Steingar says they were really going at it, and I believe her. Normally I'd be looking for a medical cause, but I don't think I've got one here. First and furious sexual encounters, especially in a captive setting, are highly suspect.

She could have bit it, the other tortoise could have bit it, he could have scraped it on a weed or a rock. He could have hurt it in the act, Mrs. Steingar says they were really going at it, and I believe her. Normally I'd be looking for a medical cause, but I don't think I've got one here. First and furious sexual encounters, especially in a captive setting, are highly suspect.

Well, this has turned into the weirdest thread yet.... I am learning things I really didn't need to learn....:lol::lol:

Um.... I agree with Zeldman....

back to Eddie - sorry about your losses but so happy to hear you have a new friend! We adopted a little mutt a few years ago and she has pretty much all of us wrapped around her little finger (paw?).

So sad though... on Monday she went into have some dental issues looked at - several bad teeth that we knew about - and the dentist/vet said she needed to have a bunch of teeth surgically removed. X-Rays and pics proved he was right.... so she had the surgery Monday and now is just moping about. Sleeping all the time. Doesn't want to eat or drink (which is apparently normal). And she just looks at my wife and I like we are the world's biggest a-holes for driving her somewhere, dropping her off then waking up with missing teeth and pain. I feel so bad for the little girl, but in the end it will give her a better life. Still... it kills me to see her in pain and not her usual happy self. :(

AKC seems to disagree.
AKC often isn't right, or at leas there are lots of other viewpoints.

I'm considering a pointing lab as our next pup and that's a other bag of worms with us hunting sorts. But a lab rocks in general.

I'm considering a pointing lab as our next pup and that's a other bag of worms with us hunting sorts. But a lab rocks in general.

Nothing beats a GSD. I had one, lost it to cancer, and got 2 Labs when we made an ankle biter. They are great dogs, but nothing like a GSD.

Lol, I was just ribbing Steingar. I don't give a darn what the AKC recognizes or doesn't. I'm a "retriever" kind-of-guy, so labs and goldens are both outstanding dogs for sport or family. I've got a 15-yr old golden at home that's been one of the best dogs you could ask for. His time with me may be short, but I'm glad he's been around for both of my kids in their early years. If nothing else, his easy temperament and high tolerance for being sat on or tugged on has been great for teaching the kids. The wife's Weimaraner on the other hand generally wants nothing to do with kids or other dogs; she may as well be a cat.

If you aren't worried about breed standards there are about a billion different color and patterning alleles in dogs. OK, not a billion, but a LOT. Heck, there are suspected patterning alleles for which we haven't genes and the dog genome was done years ago! Sorry about the diversion, it has been weighing on me, especially since this morning I decided that I was done with the waiting for things to get better on their own part of the exercise. Then again, perhaps some of you ought to loosen up a bit. Yeeesh.

Nothing beats a GSD. I had one, lost it to cancer, and got 2 Labs when we made an ankle biter. They are great dogs, but nothing like a GSD.

Yep, great dogs and I've hunted over many of them. We'll be living in NH when this happens and I think a lab will put up with winter hunting better - it's really out of academic. Just what folks like in the NAVHD range of breeds. I'd be very interested in a German Long Haired Pointer but the breeders are few and far between. I also hunted with some Lewllen setters lat year that were great.

Yup ...at one point we had three labs. One of each color. Last year the last one passed. A couple of weeks ago Mrs.C couldn’t stand being dog-less....and convinced my oldest son to “acquire” another. We now have a great pyrenees puppy and all is well. Here’s Barron, 40lbs and 3 mos old...lol He will be well over 100 lbs in a year or so.

You buying a C-47 to haul that dog around?

The hardest part of owning a pet is saying goodbye. It's especially bad when you have to put one down yourself. Dad was a veterinarian and had to do this more than once.

Karen and I have never been down to a single dog. This was our gang back in 2013 - all rescues or owner surrenders:

Over the last several years we first lost Jake (my best canine friend ever), then Willie quite unexpectedly, and then a recurring untreatable tumor took Chowder from us just over 2 weeks ago.

We're sad, of course, but having multiple dogs, some large, made traveling in our Sky Arrow problematic. Now, being just down to Halo, we can actually start planning trips again. We ordered her some Mutt Muffs and took her up for the first time today, on a short flight to Knoxville Downtown Island and return.

It was HOT today, but she seemed to handle it OK. She's 10, so we'll hopefully have many flying adventures ahead!

Sorry for your loss....having multiple fur babies will help ease the pain but one never forgets. Have fun flying with halo...good times!

In case anyone is interested (I know, weird) President Roosevelt the tortoise went to see the vet. After two trips and 0.175 AMUs it was determined that the offending member was inflamed and thus sticking out. I was advised to keep Mr. President away from the female tortoise and lubricate his member. No, I am not making this up. The strategy does appear to be working.

Mrs. Steingar's friend from Michigan is visiting for the next few days, and is bringing her little Bichon. The dog isn't toilet trained and wears a diaper. On the other hand he is a delightful little animal. I'm certain my dog Phyzzbyn will keep him in line. Thankfully I get to miss the proceedings.

Just another day in the life of the Steinholme.

You had me at cloaca. And, for those blissfully unaware of such anatomy, keep it that way. It's a mess down there.

Back