Do not buy Garmin GDL-50

The most blatant way to flaunt wealth today is to shoot a box of 9mm at a plywood target.

Not sure if you tried this.

Often developers of embedded devices that have no displays or buttons or desire to lean on a ethernet/wifi/bluetooth assist will implement a 'cycle power X times" where it will then jump to its bootloader and if you are lucky the bootloader allows enough connectivity to recover OR the bootloader is actually an older stable release.

This can be nearly impossible if you can't fully de-energize it so if it has a internal battery it may not work. But you could try plugging it into whatever power location give it like 5 seconds or less. Unplug it for 1 second and then back on for 5 seconds. But repeat this like 10 times or more and see if any LED's blink any other way than normal. I have a an old GDL39 so its battery can be fully removed so it might work for that. Maybe the GDL5x internal battery makes this impossible (unless you can dissassemble and disconnect the battery).

So thats a 500:1 longshot.

I tried some of that, and will continue to monkey around with it in hopes of stumbling across some magic combination of incantations. Probably not gonna crack the case though, on the odd chance that the President of Garmin stumbles on this thread next week and offers to service it, or I find a solution later.

I did try editing the software version in the XML config file in RAM, in hopes that might force a new update. Nothing doing so far.

Was looking at Sentry mini, but apparently it only works with ForeFlight. Not keen to get locked into yet another ecosystem. Also not a fan that FF charges double to get hazard warnings. The Dynon DRX looks like the most versatile non-AHRS option. Also intrigued by iFly software, which is multi-platform, accepts all open-standard portable ADS-B's, and does not bury the features I want in a premium version.

You could try something like this......

I had similar issues with the Garmin Audio Panel. AOG without it, no effective repair available, but they'd be glad to sell me another one and fedex it overnight.

I have an older PS engineering audio panel fail. I sent it to PS, they charge me a couple hundred dollars if I recall correctly, and it came back like new.

I have. It's not super user-serviceable in there, and I didn't see any reset firmware buttons, just a JTAG port. There might be some jumpers that would do a hard restore, but I wasn't looking for them last time I had the box open, so couldn't say. You'd think there would be something, just likely undocumented.

If you go this route OP, be very careful about the battery connector plug, it's fragile. Also be very gentle when you take the case halves apart, as there is a ribbon cable that has no real slack on it that you could strain. You'll need a (T5? I think) bit and you'll want some nice fine-point tweezers. Any of the ifixit-style toolkits will have what you need, it's mainstream tech hardware.

The device has two stacked and shielded PCBs inside. I didn't do the work to separate them. I wish now that I had taken photos of my disassembly. :)

Pull the battery connector and short it out (the device connector itself , not the battery). Wait a minute before reconnecting the battery.

Last edited:
As a follow up from the original post, I switched to iFly GPS and bought a Stratux kit for $160. The Stratux works fine for GPS, weather and traffic. AHRS is lousy, but I don't use that. I installed a remote GPS puck and am in the process of installing a Ted antenna on the belly to improve ADS-B reception. That will also allow me to mount the Stratux under the panel to stay cool. If the Stratux doesn't hold up, I'll grab a Dynon. No more closed standards.

I like iFly GPS better than Garmin Pilot. It is more intuitive, especially the route planning. GP graphic design more polished ... I would describe IFG as "late 80's Atari". I keep waiting for space invaders to descend on my screen. But it is easier to use and runs much smoother on tablet hardware, with no overheating.

Last edited:
Great piece of kit. Loved it. Until a firmware update a few weeks ago bricked it.

Power up sequence starts, but aborts after a few seconds. I tried reset several times by holding the power button for 10 seconds, with no effect. I can connect it to Webupdater via USB, which recognizes the device and says it is up to date. I can connect my PC via USB and browse the file structure and logs. But I cannot get it into bluetooth mode to connect.

I called tech support at Garmin today. The guy checked if it was in warranty. I have had it more than one year, so the warranty has expired. He said my only option was to exchange it for $600. A new one costs $699.

I asked if I could send it in to be reflashed with correct software or factory reset. He said no, not an option. Nothing to be done. Buy a new one, or exchange, which might as well be buying a new one.

There is no reason this device cannot be restored, unless there is a hardware fault. They just decided it was not worth the cost to support. Guess they are too busy selling $20K flat panels these days.

Short sighted business approach, IMO. Small fish like me get hooked on the Garmin ecosystem and graduate to more expensive devices. I have since bought a GTX-335 and GTR-225, based in part on my heretofore-positive experience with the GDL and Garmin Pilot.

So now I need a device for ADS-B weather, traffic, and GPS that works with my iPad mini. AHRS not needed. Can anyone suggest a device produced by a company that stands by ALL their products, not just the expensive ones? Would prefer something compatible with Garmin Pilot (sigh) because my phone is Android. But screw them, maybe I'll take this opportunity to switch to Foreflight.

EDIT: looks like Sentry Mini would be the least expensive fix.
Really surprised (and sorry) to hear that! I had a very similar problem with a firmware update for my GDL-51 last year (also out of warranty), and Garmin tech support was great helping me find a way to restore it. They implied that there would be other remedies if that didn't work, but I never found out, because we didn't need them.

I assume you've already verified that the web updater won't let you reflash an older version. :(

I like iFly GPS better than Garmin Pilot. It is more intuitive, especially the route planning. GP graphic design more polished ... I would describe IFG as "late 80's Atari". I keep waiting for space invaders to descend on my screen. But it is easier to use and runs much smoother on tablet hardware, with no overheating.
iFly is not an option, unfortunately, for pilots who fly outside of the U.S. (including American pilots who cut across Canadian airspace or visit Toronto for a baseball game). The only three EFB mobile apps with Canadian charts are FltPlan Go, Garmin Pilot, or ForeFlight. GP has global coverage; FltPlan Go has (I think) Mexico and the Caribbean as well as the U.S.

Rather than start a new thread, I'll add on to this related one. Is there anyone on here that used the older Stratus (say a 2S) with backup AHRS that has switched to a Stratux ADS-B kit that includes backup AHRS and compared the performance of the two? This AHRS feature works OK in Stratus 2S, will it work as good with the Stratux kit?

My Stratus continues to drop the ADS-B in portion while GPS remains working and I've tried everything (including contacting support) and nothing seems to fix this failure. It keeps dropping it after X amount of minutes. Aggravating enough to get a complete replacement for those times I'm in a non ADS-B in equipped plane. So, the least expensive options are a Stratux kit ~$250'ish or a Sentry Mini ~$299. Just curious is the AHRS part of the Stratux a usable backup feature.

Rather than start a new thread, I'll add on to this related one. Is there anyone on here that used the older Stratus (say a 2S) with backup AHRS that has switched to a Stratux ADS-B kit that includes backup AHRS and compared the performance of the two? This AHRS feature works OK in Stratus 2S, will it work as good with the Stratux kit?

My Stratus continues to drop the ADS-B in portion while GPS remains working and I've tried everything (including contacting support) and nothing seems to fix this failure. It keeps dropping it after X amount of minutes. Aggravating enough to get a complete replacement for those times I'm in a non ADS-B in equipped plane. So, the least expensive options are a Stratux kit ~$250'ish or a Sentry Mini ~$299. Just curious is the AHRS part of the Stratux a usable backup feature.
I can't answer about the Stratus itself (I have a GDL 51), but for any AHRS source to be useful in an emergency, it needs to be firmly attached to the plane. My primary AHRS backup is my panel-mounted GTX 345 transponder. My portable GDL 51 also has AHRS, but I'd want to screw the optional snap-in tray right into the top of the panel to hold it if I were counting on it as an emergency backup.

Agreed. I've had the Stratus fall down before and those are the times I'm glad I wasn't using the AHRS at the time. If I were every using it as an emergency backup while a passenger was with me I'd say, "don't let this thing fall or move until we get on the ground!"

Just curious is the AHRS part of the Stratux a usable backup feature.

Not on my Stratux, no. Very unstable compared to the Garmin. I would not trust it. Also, my Stratux has a bad habit of only loading part of Nexrad, so that I have stripes of radar interspersed with blanks. Going to try an external antenna before I ditch it completely.

Not too happy with iFly GPS anymore. It decided to freeze up on me for the first time a few days ago. Unfortunately, it did so at a pretty bad time. I had tried to squeeze a few extra minutes of daylight out of an XC leg before landing for the night. Conditions were sketchy, with scattered low clouds up ahead and a lot of moisture in the air. It got dark faster than I expected, and I passed over a remote area with few ground lights. Felt weird hanging there in a black void, spidey sense tingling, so I decided to turn back and land at an airport I had flown over about 10 minutes prior. When I input the waypoint into iFly on my iPad mini, all the buttons froze up. Could not call up airport info or make changes to waypoints. It still tracked my location, but I had to pull out my backup device to get airport info.

Hmmm. Just when you need it....

As I do searches for portable gps receivers its a shame to see so many drop by the wayside. I can understand some change in demand because of in-panel units but its too bad there are limited choices for the others. I don't want to spend another $650 or whatever on another Stratus.

I have an older PS engineering audio panel fail. I sent it to PS, they charge me a couple hundred dollars if I recall correctly, and it came back like new.
The statement about not being able to fix a Garmin Audio Panel is incorrect. I just sent my G340 Audio Panel for a broken button. Garmin charges a flat fee (I think $250) and made it look like new, including all available firmware updates.

I Love my stratux, way better than my stratus 3 for ADSB in. I haven’t tested the AHRS, but heard it’s sketchy. I still keep the stratus 3 in the plane as a backup cya alternate.

Just thought I'd throw in my recent experience. GDL 50 purchased April 2021, brilliant little instrument that worked really well with Garmin Pilot on a Samsung tablet. Last week (Nov '22) it went sideways, no Bluetooth connectivity, weird flashing orange lights, etc. Read through the manual and tried resetting a hundred times with lots of variants, loaded the WebUpdater and confirmed through the USB that it had the correct software - nothing worked. This morning I called Garmin aviation customer service (866-739-5687). Guy was very helpful, told me the unit was clearly out of warranty and confirmed that no service was possible. He then offered me an exchange for $280 - while I am ****ed that this instrument only survived 19 months, I figure this exchange is a good deal given the circumstances and the cost of my other options. Further, since I was in a hurry (live under a Bravo veil and don't like to fly without it) he initiated an 'immediate exchange' whereby they ship a replacement unit to me now and charge my card $580, then when they get the dead unit back from me they will credit the account some $300.

I was contemplating a switch away from the Garmin ecosystem but it'll wait until another day..

Garmin - we’re not satisfied until we have all your money! :)

Just thought I'd throw in my recent experience. GDL 50 purchased April 2021, brilliant little instrument that worked really well with Garmin Pilot on a Samsung tablet. Last week (Nov '22) it went sideways, no Bluetooth connectivity, weird flashing orange lights, etc. Read through the manual and tried resetting a hundred times with lots of variants, loaded the WebUpdater and confirmed through the USB that it had the correct software - nothing worked. This morning I called Garmin aviation customer service (866-739-5687). Guy was very helpful, told me the unit was clearly out of warranty and confirmed that no service was possible. He then offered me an exchange for $280 - while I am ****ed that this instrument only survived 19 months, I figure this exchange is a good deal given the circumstances and the cost of my other options. Further, since I was in a hurry (live under a Bravo veil and don't like to fly without it) he initiated an 'immediate exchange' whereby they ship a replacement unit to me now and charge my card $580, then when they get the dead unit back from me they will credit the account some $300.

I was contemplating a switch away from the Garmin ecosystem but it'll wait until another day..

Exchange for $280 is reasonable ... I would probably have jumped at that had they offered it to me for my bricked GDL 50.

I have similar experience with my GDL-50, purchased in May 2022. The unit was staying fully charged and was brought up for today's flight. I could pair it with the tablet, but it doesn't connect in Connex. Now new indications on the leds, just blue led seems to go off quicker than before. 5 seconds reset procedure didn't help. Wasted 15 minutes of precious time and took off talking with NY approach :). My other Android devices don't connect either, which indicates an issue with GDL. Disappointed and opened a request with Garmin. Considering switching to another application and device depending on Garmin response. Will update.

Last edited:
GDL50 with Android GP has worked well for me.

Seems only good business to help customers who have issues that were caused by a crash during an update...oh well.

I built a couple Stratux receivers years ago for about 100 bucks each...both still work great. Parts from Amazon, support on internet. Now units more like 200-250 each.

Sorry to necropost here. But Chris Short will fix these Garmin pieces of junk.

He fixed my Aera 660 for $125. It was dead as a doornail.

Chris Short
Short Tronics, Inc
51612 US Highway169
Mankato, MN 56001-6584
612-326-4364
ips@chartermi.net

That is highly useful info, thanks!!

Back