Anyone know anything more about this 182 crash?

Sadly it sounds like he hit a guide wire on a tower. So young, so much ahead to look forward to.

My home turf. Sad story, the kid was really into aviation. Its believed he hit the guide wire on this very tall tower:

upload_2021-5-23_9-8-12.png

WUGN FM radio tower.

I’m very sorry to hear that. So sad. Thanks for the information.

Easy to get complacent in Upper Flatistan. But those towers are everywhere, and their wires are invisible. RIP, a real tragedy.

My first flight included that particular lesson.

On the ground, one of the things to remember at all times was to have a place to land picked out at all times. 20 minutes into the first lesson, he pulled power to idle, and asked where I was going to land. I immediately pointed to a hay field, and turned toward it. He asked about the vegetation scattered across the field, I responded that it seemed to be poke and milk weeds in the hay, not likely to damage the Cub.

He pointed out the big chunk of concrete, and asked why that was there. Suddenly, I realized there was a 200 foot radio tower, with guy wires. Landing was not a problem, we were going to pass over the wires, but lesson learned. Scan the whole field, figure out any anomalies, then commit to the best part of the field.

I suspect that he pulled power on every student at the same place to teach proper selection.

I have posted elsewhere, the first 4 instructors I had the good fortune to fly with were absolutely top notch. lessons from those few hours proved lifesaving repeatedly as my hours increased. All of them have gone west now, but I did return and meet with one of them about 20 years ago.

I wonder what the young man was looking at when he hit the wire?

RIP, though.

A local kid died from contacting a guy wire while flying pipeline patrol in south Texas about 3-4 years ago. If you're the pilot AND observer, I can understand how it would be easy to become distracted.

Before I retired, my company, which specialized in data center and broadcast facilities construction, did quite a bit of work in Cedar Hill. It's south of Dallas and home to several 2,000' AGL towers.

The KDFW site has a 2,000' tower, and is the previous home of KRLD's transmitter and tower, which was originally 1,600' tall IIRC. Sometime in the 60s, a Navy fighter operating out of NAS Dallas hit the tower and reduced its height by 400'. Amazingly, the tower withstood the collision and didn't come down. It's still in use as an antenna for a local FM station.

As for guy wires, you might be surprised to learn that a 2,000' tower's guys are 2" diameter cable. They are held in tension by 15,000 lb concrete weights that ride on slide assemblies built into the ground. I think they would shrug off a hit by a single engine aircraft.

By the above chart, he may not of been to far from the home airport, kinda familiar territory. It seems like maybe a flight school, rental plane. I had thought earlier it may of been more than that, maybe not.

Near the local airport one normally has a handle on local towers, obstructions, and terrain. For the distant trips, the MEF, Max elevation figure is helpful. Then when out West or near serious terrain, other methods come into play, could be as simple as an airway, even when VFR or at night.

I remember a flight through WY where the experienced pilots hit high terrain at night. Then there was the bluff out of Phoenix a few years ago. I wouldn’t put it in the same category(low hanging fruit) as running out of fuel, but it’s not to far above.

Back