Dan Gryder is tweaking the NTSB

Do you know something specific? He makes wild allegations based on someone having dressed and shaved and working early. Wow.

Yes, what makes him right about Guthmiller? Like I mentioned before, it is risky for Dan to state in his video that Guthmiller was in on an insurance scam. Just because he mentioned earlier that he was working on something big and because he was dressed a particular way and was up late that night? Those are big assumptions.

Do you know something specific? He makes wild allegations based on someone having dressed and shaved and working early. Wow.
He said that Guthmiller knew about the ditching in the Pacific before it happened. I forget the guy's name, and I really care too little to look it but. But it appears a guy staged a ditching of a Bo to get notoriety. There was communication between Guthmiller and the guy right before the ditching. The guy's gf was wearing a shorty wet suit under her jeans at the time of the ditching. Guthmiller had a full video ready to go within hours of the ditching, before most people even knew it happened. It looked like a setup to me.

Interesting. People had no qualms making a meme out of accusations of insurance fraud on the part of henning's 310 gear up, but because they don't like ol' Dan that grenade-lobbing is all of a sudden blasphemy? Lady doth protest too much.

As to Lesh, he's an actual criminal that doesn't bring any positive influence to any avocation he touches. Just like that accessory to rape and human trafficking Global Girl, we don't need their kind poisoning the well of an already heavily-endangered activity, from a pedestrian tolerance purview. I give these people no quarter nor avocational solidarity of any kind.

Interesting. People had no qualms making a meme out of accusations of insurance fraud on the part of henning's 310 gear up, but because they don't like ol' Dan that grenade-lobbing is all of a sudden blasphemy? Lady doth protest too much.

As to Lesh, he's an actual criminal that doesn't bring any positive influence to any avocation he touches. Just like that accessory to rape and human trafficking Global Girl, we don't need their kind poisoning the well of an already heavily-endangered activity, from a pedestrian tolerance purview. I give these people no quarter nor avocational solidarity of any kind.
No doubt. That global girl needs to be locked up.

He said that Guthmiller knew about the ditching in the Pacific before it happened. I forget the guy's name, and I really care too little to look it but. But it appears a guy staged a ditching of a Bo to get notoriety. There was communication between Guthmiller and the guy right before the ditching. The guy's gf was wearing a shorty wet suit under her jeans at the time of the ditching. Guthmiller had a full video ready to go within hours of the ditching, before most people even knew it happened. It looked like a setup to me.
That was discussed extensively here. Personally, I felt the "it was staged" theory was seriously lacking in plausibility. I didn't hear about the wet suit, though. How do you know this?

https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/threads/bo-down-half-moon-bay.120862/

Dan shows a picture of the girl on the wing of the ditched airplane and describes how she’s wearing a wet seat underneath.

if people stop talking about guys like gryder and jerry and people stop watching their videos, they go away. my take is, jerry creates drama to get views and doesn't even know he's doing it. gryder is taking full advantage of his self-made drama to get views.

those aviation youtube award things were the biggest effing joke. it's basically a circle jerk by the people who make the videos to the people who make the videos. it's like the movie awards...."hey, look at us, please look at us, we're giving each other awards, aren't we great?!?!?". I was actually embarrassed for that whole shtshow and the people who participated, even tho I know a few.

if people stop talking about guys like gryder and jerry and people stop watching their videos, they go away. my take is, jerry creates drama to get views and doesn't even know he's doing it. gryder is taking full advantage of his self-made drama to get views.

those aviation youtube award things were the biggest effing joke. it's basically a circle jerk by the people who make the videos to the people who make the videos. it's like the movie awards...."hey, look at us, please look at us, we're giving each other awards, aren't we great?!?!?". I was actually embarrassed for that whole shtshow and the people who participated, even tho I know a few.

What aviation youtube awards?

What aviation youtube awards?
Gryder organized a fly in last summer. He invited people with aviation related youtube channels and gave awards for things like most views, most new subscribers, etc.

Say what you want about the awards, the event did bring together a lot of channels i watch and some interesting interviews and flying videos came out of it.

I’d forgotten, if I ever knew, that Gryder had put that all together. It’ll be interesting to see how the idea is received if he brings it up this year. Will Matt Guthmiller get a special award?

The NTSB budget was gutted. The NTSB some time ago quit traveling to the scenes of GA aircraft accidents and had the FAA do the preliminary investigation. The FAA budget was also gutted. So you end up with substandard investigations and an idiot making a video. Since NTSB aren’t admissible in court, does it really matter?

I’d forgotten, if I ever knew, that Gryder had put that all together. It’ll be interesting to see how the idea is received if he brings it up this year. Will Matt Guthmiller get a special award?

The guy creates a lot of websites
https://aviationcontentcreators.com/
Matt Guthmiller is conspicuously missing from the invitee list...

Why would anyone want to associate themselves with Dan's poopshow? I can't see that any good would come from it, and I think it could land you on the FAA's PITA list (see: Lunken, Martha) and increase your exposure in the case that you do something dumb.

The Gold Seal folks are clearly close with him, and Russ seems like a really good guy, so I can't believe he'd associate himself with Gryder if he is as out there as he seems in his videos. [/ATTACH]

Russ is probably too nice to say anything, but my understanding is that there is no relationship anymore.

Gryder organized a fly in last summer. He invited people with aviation related youtube channels and gave awards for things like most views, most new subscribers, etc.

Say what you want about the awards, the event did bring together a lot of channels i watch and some interesting interviews and flying videos came out of it.
I saw info on it last year and I was nearby. Seemed interesting but poorly marketed giving the impression that’s its exclusive and not for us normies. So I skipped it. I’m also going to be in the same state this year, but it’s setting up to be just as exclusive.

Since NTSB aren’t admissible in court, does it really matter?
FYI: the NTSB factual documents are usually allowed in court and in some situations it can matter.

According to the Atlanta Constitution Journal police said the incident began when two code enforcement officers responded to a complaint of someone driving a car across the runway. When they approached Gryder, he allegedly gave them a false name and then refused to sign six citations. He then boarded the DC-3, started at least one engine and “told one of the officers that if she moved, he would strike her car, police said,” the newspaper reported. The code officer called for backup and police “flooded the area” as Gryder taxied the 72-year-old airliner to the runway.

According to the police, as reported by the newspaper, Gryder held at the end of the runway and “demanded” fuel, which was not provided. He taxied back to parking area and was arrested as he left the aircraft.

https://www.avweb.com/news/pilot-arrested-after-airport-incident/

And you believe anything AJC reports? HAHA, There is more to the DC 3 story than we all know and yes he probably was culpable. So one incident and the flamethrowers are condemning him, what was that about stones and glass houses?

The TBM story about how the engine was smoking, for a while, yet they did the airshow box at low level anyway, and then went for a swim, lost the airplane but saved the Bose, and did a phot op, yes swimmers were in the area, the pilot got lucky that no one was hurt, that bird should have landed as soon as possible not fly around trailing smoke, waiting for the engine to quit. Gryder did point that out

Marking your airspeed indicator does not seem like a bad idea especially if you fly in and out of tight airstrips where airspeed is life insurance. They way he explained was less than KISS though.

Is he an asshat? maybe, but then look at his history, and this is not a blanket comment, but I have met my share of pretty arrogant "I am the smartest guy in the room type" in a lot of different arenas, it is a culture some times, in certain occupations more than others. and of course the individual.
What I want to know is what is that gal doing with him ?

FYI: the NTSB factual documents are usually allowed in court and in some situations it can matter.

Some courts have ignored federal law and allowed factual NTSB reports. Most GA accident reports are probable cause.

Last edited:
And you believe anything AJC reports? HAHA, There is more to the DC 3 story than we all know and yes he probably was culpable. So one incident and the flamethrowers are condemning him, what was that about stones and glass houses?

You mock the newspaper and then a sentence later agree that it was substantially correct? Hell yes, he was culpable.

No, it wasn't just one incident. Dude is a serial nut job. But threatening to run over the police with a DC3 is still notable.

And, I can throw all the stones I like, I don't live in a glass house. I've never tried to run over the thin blue line with my plane. I've never rushed to judgement on a crash. I've never stolen and refused to return items from a crash site. I think you may not know what that phrase means.

Some courts have ignored federal law and allowed factual NTSB reports. Most GA accident reports are probable cause.
If I understand the process properly, the investigator's 'Factual Report' is examined by the board itself, which decides on a Probable Cause. The typical docket will include the lab reports, photos, etc. I can see courts being willing to examine that data. In many cases the "Final" report differs from the "Factual" only in that a Probable Cause is included.

Ron Wanttaja

To the best of my knowledge, every NTSB case has a Prelim, Factual, and Final report regardless of the industry: aviation, rail, marine, etc. But you got it backwards. Final reports/probable causes (and witness statements, etc.) are not allowed because they are opinions, but factual reports or data is. There is plenty of legal guidance and history on this. And on every NTSB Final Report is the statement below which links you to the allowable factual report. While it's my understanding there are some unique cases that refused the use of factual reports, these were considered outliers only. But I've never seen or heard of a final report/probable cause allowed in court in my experience.

"The National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB), established in 1967, is an
independent federal agency mandated by Congress through the
Independent Safety Board Act of 1974 to investigate transportation
accidents, determine the probable causes of the accidents, issue safety
recommendations, study transportation safety issues, and evaluate the
safety effectiveness of government agencies involved in transportation. The
NTSB makes public its actions and decisions through accident reports,
safety studies, special investigation reports, safety recommendations, and
statistical reviews.
The Independent Safety Board Act, as codified at 49 U.S.C. Section 1154(b),
precludes the admission into evidence or use of any part of an NTSB report
related to an incident or accident in a civil action for damages resulting from
a matter mentioned in the report. A factual report that may be admissible
under 49 U.S.C. § 1154(b) is available here."

I thought this video was a real contribution to aviation safety and something I keep in mind in my own flying. The guy might be a tool, he certainly sounds like it some of the time. But I thought very highly of this.

Initially I was somewhat intrigued by this video, but came to the conclusion that his premise is wrong. Airplanes don't stall because the pilot failed to push down on the controls. They stall because the pilot pulls back on the controls. Most GA planes won't stall with power off if you let go of the controls. In fact, the best glide speed is often close to the airspeed you get with the trim all the way up and you let go of the yoke. Performing unnecessary aerobatics during a critical emergency is bad advice.

He’s exactly the same narcissist as Jim “Zoom” Campbell was. Similar story. Appears on the internet and makes sense in a couple of places, then he starts saying things that don’t make sense, claiming to have insider knowledge he can’t possibly have — especially knowledge of government malfeasance—, as well as insight that the hoi polloi (that’s you and me) can’t even dream of. Then the criminal past comes out. . . .

After watching his video on “maneuvering speed,” in which he makes up a definition for a term that was already defined well and differently, I vowed not to watch him any more. If Aviation101 and FlightChops are smart, they’ll pull the videos they have with him. They’ve been had.

I’m a new student pilot. What term was already defined? His DMMS, would that be Va? Maneuvering speed?

The courts are split in the issue, with many separating factual content from evaluation.

He’s exactly the same narcissist as Jim “Zoom” Campbell was.

Hadn't heard of Jim "Zoom" Campbell before. Googled him, and proceeded to fall down a deep, dark, internet rabbit hole, which seemed to be mainly old-school web boards from the mid-2000s. After about 30 minutes of poking around, I still don't think I get the whole story.

He was a guy with some money and a couple of nice planes, and liked to run to his lawyer and file lawsuits?

Hadn't heard of Jim "Zoom" Campbell before. Googled him, and proceeded to fall down a deep, dark, internet rabbit hole, which seemed to be mainly old-school web boards from the mid-2000s. After about 30 minutes of poking around, I still don't think I get the whole story.

He was a guy with some money and a couple of nice planes, and liked to run to his lawyer and file lawsuits?
There was a long thread about him here:

https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/threads/negative-ann-article-about-cirrus.44813/

You're half right. He liked to run to his lawyer and file lawsuits. Having money...no. Nice planes? Mooney for a while, Glasair for a short time, the Cirrus controversy (see the link Palmpilot posted). Some light homebuilts with unknown airworthiness.

Ron Wanttaja

I have to admit that I am surprised at the animosity towards Dan. I have been watching all his videos, and I appreciate the effort he is putting forward. He has an opinion and is not shy to express it. That ruffle some of the more “sensitive” aviators feathers, but I have not seen anybody with negative opinions about his efforts contributing to aviation safety. So take it or leave it. You don’t have to watch his videos. The responses of many here have been part of cancel culture thats so rampant in America today. Don’t like an opinion or what’s been said? Just google some dirt to disqualify and discourage any further comments and actions. Go ahead, cancel me too

I have to admit that I am surprised at the animosity towards Dan. I have been watching all his videos, and I appreciate the effort he is putting forward. He has an opinion and is not shy to express it. That ruffle some of the more “sensitive” aviators feathers, but I have not seen anybody with negative opinions about his efforts contributing to aviation safety. So take it or leave it. You don’t have to watch his videos. The responses of many here have been part of cancel culture thats so rampant in America today. Don’t like an opinion or what’s been said? Just google some dirt to disqualify and discourage any further comments and actions. Go ahead, cancel me too

Ok I'll submit a request to the cancel committee

Nah. I don’t think it’s anything like that.

How is disagreeing with him and sharing opinions equal to cancel culture? No one here is trying to cancel him. That’s silly.

Gryder's delivery is most times amateur and buffoonish and many facts in his mind are at best speculative. However, his latest assertions (after wadding through his shtick) about the Lesh ditching the Bonanza incident and Guthmiller involvement at least to me compelling and worthy of explanation.

Actions have consequences. And he's made plenty of stupid actions. Surely you aren't arguing that we should *reward* his brand of anti-authoritarian/conspiracy riddled nonsense?

Last edited:
Initially I was somewhat intrigued by this video, but came to the conclusion that his premise is wrong. Airplanes don't stall because the pilot failed to push down on the controls. They stall because the pilot pulls back on the controls. Most GA planes won't stall with power off if you let go of the controls. In fact, the best glide speed is often close to the airspeed you get with the trim all the way up and you let go of the yoke. Performing unnecessary aerobatics during a critical emergency is bad advice.
Maybe a Skyhawk, but mine trimmed for takeoff will bleed speed quickly in the absence of power. Don't believe it? Do it. Get up to altitude, and then have the guy in the right seat pull the power. Speed will bleed fast.

Maybe a Skyhawk, but mine trimmed for takeoff will bleed speed quickly in the absence of power. Don't believe it? Do it. Get up to altitude, and then have the guy in the right seat pull the power. Speed will bleed fast.
It seems like he would need to know what type you're flying in order to replicate your results.

It seems like he would need to know what type you're flying in order to replicate your results.
I fly a short body Mooney. Part of this is that the light aircraft used for trainers don't really rely on trim all that much. Heavier aircraft do, mine is especially trim happy. Trim for takeoff and loose the mill you're pushing hard. Take off in the landing configuration (as in a go around) and you're pushing really hard. If you aren't pushing you're risking a departure stall.

Dan shows a picture of the girl on the wing of the ditched airplane and describes how she’s wearing a wet seat underneath.

So, the question remains, with a slight modification: How does DAN know she's wearing a wet suit underneath?

The NTSB budget was gutted. The NTSB some time ago quit traveling to the scenes of GA aircraft accidents and had the FAA do the preliminary investigation. The FAA budget was also gutted. So you end up with substandard investigations and an idiot making a video. Since NTSB aren’t admissible in court, does it really matter?

Yes, it matters, because that's what aviation safety is built off of. And yes, the NTSB and FAA are woefully underfunded and will likely remain so until their oversight becomes so lax that an airplane with very important people aboard goes down and kills a bunch of people. :(

The responses of many here have been part of cancel culture thats so rampant in America today. Don’t like an opinion or what’s been said? Just google some dirt to disqualify and discourage any further comments and actions. Go ahead, cancel me too

Oh please. Nobody's saying Dan should be suspended from YouTube. They're saying that if you're smart, you won't listen to his crap.

It really is too bad because up until a couple years ago he did have some good stuff regarding safety, but now he's just being a grumpy old anti-authority has-been.

Interestingly enough, I discovered that he had some involvement in the AOPA 2007 "Catch-a-Cardinal" sweepstakes that also got him in trouble with the FAA and AOPA, who had to take the plane back and do an additional $40,000 worth of work AFTER awarding it to the winner because of him. Lots of entertainment here if you're interested: https://www.regulations.gov/docket/FAA-2009-0281/document?sortBy=postedDate

So far, the gems include the following:

JUDGE BENKIN: Back on the record, please.

I've been spoken to by one of the security personnel in this building who told me that Mr. Gryder came into the building and had on his person an item that is not permitted in this building. And when he was told to check it in with the guard and leave it there and pick it up on his way out, he ran off and came up here.

And, of course, windbags gotta windbag: ("Mr. Russell" is Gryder's lawyer)

MR. RUSSELL: Judge, I would like to put on the record, if I could, that the terms of the agreement are acceptable as we discussed them last night, but that when Mr. Gryder came in, he made the request to make a public statement, but that the FAA has objected to that. And I would like for Your Honor to say yes or no about that.

JUDGE BENKIN: Well, I can't receive any unsworn statement for the record. My function here is to conduct a hearing on the issues that are in dispute. If there are no issues in dispute, then under the procedural rules I've got to close the hearing. This is not the forum for the Respondent, or anyone else, to make an unsworn statement on the record. There are all kinds of alternate forums, political forums, media forums, and those are the appropriate place for it.

I can't do anything with respect to the Respondent's personal grievances against the FAA. I have no authority over them whatsoever, and that's not my function down here.

Last edited:
Back