Previously medicated for anxiety, but no diagnosis. Will it be a problem?

G

I’m looking to get a medical for PPl training. I had been medicated for anxiety (Prozac) a couple years ago, but I was never diagnosed with anything by a psychiatrist, just “treated” for anxiety. I was also a minor at the time, not sure if that helps in terms of how much of my medical record the FAA can access. I’m just not sure where to go from here. I was filling out my medxpress and I don’t know what I should select when it asks if I’ve been diagnosed with a mental illness. I don’t know much about this stuff, so I don’t want to talk to an AME and have to jump through hoops and make the process harder than it has to be, when I can potentially say I’ve never been diagnosed with anything and move on.

Sigh. To get the meds on insurance he had to diagnose something.

The key to understand is whether you had a one off, of if this was a more than one off, OR duration was so long. As to be reasonably be thought to be recurrent disease (so he kept you on for a prolonged time). >5 years the presumption is of disease expected to be recurrent.

why is that important?
FAA denies 100% of “recurrent disease unmonitored and untreated”. So if it qualifies as a one-off, get a current status visit update visit, and you’ll probably be okay.

So - you can fly with certain SSRI's - however, this WILL require a Special Issuance, a psychiatric consultation (HIMS psychiatrist would help), and a HIMS AME _ however - IF you really do NOT need the medication, it would be BEST to get off the medication and once stable - usually within a few months, and a proper evaluation that clears from all psychiatric issues (depression, Anxiety, etc) - then the FAA might allow a 'regular' issue - but a good note from your doctor and a helpful AME will help here - see the FAA website here:

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_or...process/exam_tech/item47/amd/antidepressants/

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back