Midwest POA Janebruary Lunch February 3, 2024 1200 EST Rick's Boatyard KEYE

If you do it at JVL I might come. Farther east or south puts me out of reasonable Cub range.

Hell, I don't even get up that early on Saturday's to make it to our local EAA breakfast let alone a another state! :)
I'm a maybe. Flightstar will actually have my plane earlier that week for some work. They *should* be done w/ it by then.

Hell, I don't even get up that early on Saturday's to make it to our local EAA breakfast let alone a another state! :)
I'm a maybe. Flightstar will actually have my plane earlier that week for some work. They *should* be done w/ it by then.
You're welcome to ride with me if they don't. Let me know if you need a ride to drop her off/ pick her up, too.

I need to get over there for breakfast. I assumed those guys had stopped during covid, but Charlie just told me they never really did.

Read this late, but if you can handle a 2600' grass runway, my home airport (3G8) in Geneseo, IL is having a Father's Day pancake breakfast from 7-11 on June 20th...

2021_3G8_Breakfast_Flyer.jpg

I love when I see “Midwest” and get all excited, only to find out that you’re discussing airports that aren’t west of anything. I’ve got half a mind to change the title of this thread to Middle East POA Breakfast.

I love when I see “Midwest” and get all excited, only to find out that you’re discussing airports that aren’t west of anything. I’ve got half a mind to change the title of this thread to Middle East POA Breakfast.
Heh! Yeah, when I think ‘Midwest’ I’m thinking Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma and *maybe* Iowa and Missouri. Anything east of the Mississippi? No way! :)

Maps. We need more maps.

Fun fact ... according to Wikipedia, that young lady evidently has a second career as a real estate agent in California. Hopefully she has a lot of maps at her office.

P.S. South Carolina is not part of the Midwest. Unless you’re in North Carolina, perhaps.

Middle East? Hell yeah, let’s meet in Lebanon, TN.

Heh! Yeah, when I think ‘Midwest’ I’m thinking Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma and *maybe* Iowa and Missouri. Anything east of the Mississippi? No way! :)

The Census Bureau's definition [of The Midwest] consists of 12 states in the north central United States: Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, and Wisconsin.

The Census Bureau's definition [of The Midwest] consists of 12 states in the north central United States: Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, and Wisconsin.
How can Michigan and Ohio be Midwest? They’re longitudinally the same as Tennessee, Alabama, Georgia and western North Carolina. :confused2:

How can Michigan and Ohio be Midwest? They’re longitudinally the same as Tennessee, Alabama, Georgia and western North Carolina. :confused2:

Because the Government says so. If you think they are wrong, write your congressperson. They’ll ignore you but you’ll feel better. Better yet make a YouTube video exposing why it’s wrong. You’ll still be wrong but famous.

Cheers

I get Michigan... but Ohio is more like Mid-Atlantic/East coast

KHUF has a great restaurant, that would be my first choice if Wisconsin is still too restricted.

"Wisconsin" isn't restricted at all. Our state's republican legislators, rather than, you know, legislating, sued the governor over the mask mandate and the state supreme court ruled in their favor. So the state hasn't had a mask mandate in quite a while. But, as a result, we have a zillion different local mask mandates and other covid-related restrictions instead! Progress! :facepalm:

But, with the latest CDC guidance it seems that everything is pretty much open at full capacity again, though it's worth checking the individual places to be sure.

Waiting on final date for an install in Longview but at the current rate of delay, I should be good for June 5.

Bessies is good. @EdFred has a Mexican place north part of IN that he likes. Rochelle’s fun to watch the cargo drop outta planes. I know KOSH has some good places through the fence.

Mexican joint is Mi Tierra at 05C. Fantastic.

Rochelle has good food too.

I've heard LNR has a restaurant opening back up in a couple weeks.

Really? Last I heard they were permanently closed. It was sold just before Covid and Covid killed it off. I dunno what the draw was anyway, the place was tiny and had average food and terrible service. Last time I went - And I mean the last time, regardless of whether they open up again - It took 2.5 HOURS to get our food.

I get Michigan... but Ohio is more like Mid-Atlantic/East coast
I would argue Ohio is culturally more similar to IL & IN than east coast states. To me the "midwest", while arguably not properly named, is defined by the Appalachians to the east, the great plains to the west, and the Mason-Dixon line to the south. Lots of corn & soybeans.

Really? Last I heard they were permanently closed. It was sold just before Covid and Covid killed it off. I dunno what the draw was anyway, the place was tiny and had average food and terrible service. Last time I went - And I mean the last time, regardless of whether they open up again - It took 2.5 HOURS to get our food.
Jess and her husband did the best they could considering it was only the two of them, the sheer volume of people that came in overloaded their small kitchen on weekends. Flooding and Covid combined into the perfect storm to put them out of business and it was a raw deal no matter how you look at it. It will be open under new owners and management in the near future, and I fully intend to support the new place since I'd really like it to stick around.

Along with parts of Mexico and Central America and Canada and....Antarctica! I guess all that's Midwest too. Oh And The Middle East is longitudinally the same as Russia, Finland and the Baltics. I guess those are Middle East too. I guess Washington State should be classified as southeast, since it's south and east of Alaska.

:rolleyes:

Along with parts of Mexico and Central America and Canada and....Antarctica! I guess all that's Midwest too. Oh And The Middle East is longitudinally the same as Russia, Finland and the Baltics. I guess those are Middle East too. I guess Washington State should be classified as southeast, since it's south and east of Alaska.

:rolleyes:
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I would argue Ohio is culturally more similar to IL & IN than east coast states. To me the "midwest", while arguably not properly named, is defined by the Appalachians to the east, the great plains to the west, and the Mason-Dixon line to the south. Lots of corn & soybeans.

I suppose I don’t spend any time in Ohio, but every time I hear Cleveland I think east... remember Chicago is the center of the universe :D (we pay enough taxes for the privilege)

Speaking of food - I’m here at JXN at the Apron 517 Restaurant and it’s quite good! JXN is towered and there’s a huge ramp for transients. We should add it to the rotation.

I suppose I don’t spend any time in Ohio, but every time I hear Cleveland I think east... remember Chicago is the center of the universe :D (we pay enough taxes for the privilege)

Speaking of food - I’m here at JXN at the Apron 517 Restaurant and it’s quite good! JXN is towered and there’s a huge ramp for transients. We should add it to the rotation.

I go there often, but I have a M-F job.

I suppose I don’t spend any time in Ohio, but every time I hear Cleveland I think east... remember Chicago is the center of the universe.
Cleveland is indeed an Eastern City in character. Cincinnati is a very Southern city. Columbus is midwestern. Dayton is a dump.

Okay...I'm looking at going to Bessie's at KJVL on June 26.

I'm thinking 10AM. If some guys further away would rather do lunch, speak up. Likewise if it's just locals we could do it earlier.

Please post if you're likely to show up, and I'll call them a few days ahead to let them know if there's going to be more than a half dozen of us.

Sorry Ed, let's plan to hit your Mexican joint in August.

Bad Saturday and to far away for me. Maybe next time.

Been to JXN with Grumman Gang. Nice place for lunch.

Cleveland is indeed an Eastern City in character. Cincinnati is a very Southern city. Columbus is midwestern. Dayton is a dump.
Whoa whoa whoa as someone living directly between Columbus, Dayton, and Cincinnati but who works at DAY I feel I need to defend Dayton's honor here. We invented frickin aviation!

But yeah, Cincinnati is Kentucky as hell.

And I'll add one thing here, as a geography major I did a project defining the Midwest using demographic and other aspects. Pittsburgh is Midwest too.

And also, by the end of summer I'll be interested in attending these if they're going to be recurring.

Some of these conceptions evolved in an earlier era. There was a time when the Ohio country was considered the western frontier.

tenor.gif

Back