Color vision correction

Benw

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Benw
I went to the eye doctor to see if color correction contacts work for me. To my surprise, went from not being able to see any of the ishihara color plates, to being able to see all 10. It was Awesome.

But I’m curious, why are color vision correction contacts disqualifying to the FAA? I can understand forgetting them on the day of a flight, but the agency trusts pilots to bring their regular glasses for the same flight.

Wrong answers only, sorry.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
These are all spectrum transfer devices that rob discrimination from a limited bandwith tool (your eyes) form one part of the spectum and shift it to another.

I went to the eye doctor to see if color correction contacts work for me. To my surprise, went from not being able to see any of the ishihara color plates, to being able to see all 10. It was Awesome.

But I’m curious, why are color vision correction contacts disqualifying to the FAA? I can understand forgetting them on the day of a flight, but the agency trusts pilots to bring their regular glasses for the same flight.
have you considered color correcting eyeglasses?

have you considered color correcting eyeglasses?

Eyeglasses do the same thing as contacts. Just contacts can be worn without having weird red lenses in public

These are all spectrum transfer devices that rob discrimination from a limited bandwith tool (your eyes) form one part of the spectum and shift it to another.
Which is what some hearing aids do.

Honestly - go through the Medical Flight Test - that way you will get a Letter of Evidence and never have to worry about color testing again. Also to let you know the FAA is considering other color tests in the near future - nothing has been approved yet, but hopefully in the future they will.

Honestly - go through the Medical Flight Test - that way you will get a Letter of Evidence and never have to worry about color testing again. Also to let you know the FAA is considering other color tests in the near future - nothing has been approved yet, but hopefully in the future they will.
Actually FAA’s Dr Lomangino tells me this all stopped in Jan 2019.....
But I too, am a proponent of the waiver (with the proper pre-prep).

Last edited:
...But I’m curious, why are color vision correction contacts disqualifying to the FAA...

They prefer everything to be seen in black and white.

Seriously though, I'm with you, if I can be corrected to 20/20 why can't you be corrected to being able to read the same color charts they test me with..

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back