deferral question

C

CuriousNewb

The letter comes and its worded in such a manner dont reply and be denied, reply and everything will be used against you. Not expecting a hey new student greeting but geez.

Does uncle sammys air administration not want more pilots or just perfect ones.

I wonder how many just dont bother proceeding as the tone in the letter basically says "long shot".

Do deferrals come out in favor of the pilot or student.

Or a bunch of work to be declined anyway

Do deferrals come out in favor of the pilot or student.
In lots of cases, yes.

How difficult or how quick is the determination and decision? Depends on the medical situation and the quality of the material provided to the FAA

Or a bunch of work to be declined anyway
Again, depends on the medical situation.

Most denial decisions are quickly decided and the airman informed.

But if you get the "we need more info and here's the list" letter, you still have a chance.

AME deferred and its the "send us a recent visit "and any pertinent records to support a decision letter.

Will see how it goes.

Search through the medical section here for your particular issue and other issues in general. There are two AMEs here who give great advice on how to deal with these issues. The holy grail of that advice is never "go live" with a medical examination until you know the answer will be yes. If one finds the answer may not be yes or the answer will be yes with the proper info, the goal is to provide all the pertinent info at the initial exam, which greatly reduces the amount of time it takes for the FAA to answer, versus what you are stuck in now, where you apply, get deferred, then get a letter asking for info, which you have to gather, then submit. All this makes the process take longer.

So you are in the "present info" stage of the deferment. I suggest finding out what the correct answer/info is and gather that info before you submit, versus gathering what you have now, which may or may not be sufficient. Doing it this way makes the path to success much more likely.

Be proactive, find an experienced AME who will tell you what you need to pass, get that info, send it in.

AME deferred and its the "send us a recent visit "and any pertinent records to support a decision letter.

Will see how it goes.
As needed, make contact with the AME you used to (1) get 100% clear on what is needed, then (2) show him/her what documents you gathered and verify that 100% solves the puzzle without opening up more cans of chaotic worms.

If he gives you a green light on (2), send that in to OKC.

If he gives you a yellow or red light on (2), then you can fix it before sending in to OKC. Otherwise, you might suffer more rounds of
  • Items sitting in long waiting queue to be reviewed
  • reviewer determining that's not what is needed
  • generating a letter asking (once again) of what you should have sent
  • letter taking 2 weeks to get printed, mailed and put in your mailbox
  • you chasing after the stuff they want
  • sending it back in
  • items sitting in long waiting queue to get scanned
  • Items sitting in long waiting queue to be reviewed

Thanks all. One thing im hoping will help in the two instances precribed zoloft of celexa, cant even remeber now. In both instances my doc specifically said none of it was ever long term. It was life change events of the kind that punch you in the face, 7 years apart as well.

when your kid tries to depart this place a few times, it strains life, you get anxious when living life like a fireman on alert for the next time of attempt. Your own life and marriage on hold. And theres no stigma in that, going to your doc and saying one does not feel like ones self.

If the end is a denial, so be it.

As a Senior AME - Deferrals can be something that is easy to do and get the paperwork to - Cardiac conditions - MOST can be approved - however pacemakers (NO), Coronary artery disease with CABGs, Stents, AFib - all can be approved - usually as along as all the paperwork is clear and letters by the cardiologist are WELL written can be approved. Diabetes - if you qualify for the CACI for pre-diabetes - use that, if you are on oral medications - make sure you are following the AME guidelines - very easy, if on insulin - that can be tricky - but must be followed. Cancers - many can be done on a CACI - so make sure your AME knows this -some might not if they do not do many exams. Sleep Apnea (let's say UGH) - if you follow the guidelines - VERY EASY - but if you have issues with the rules - then the FAA will not allow an issue of a medical certificate. And, when you get those letters from the FAA after a deferral - yes the wording is scary - but realize it is boilerplate that is required by congressional act - but JUST follow what the FAA wants - and you will more than likely get your medical - but as I have said before - if you are on medications such as Benzodiazpines, Uppers (Adderall), and if you have a 'legal state' MJ care - you can forget your medical for MANY months to come. Also, FAA does 'appear' to prioritize people for medical certificates - so if an airline pilot, who has had clear medicals for years and then all of a sudden you might have had a cancer - once all the treatment is done (off radiation/ chemo) - then usually issued within weeks - so I usually counsel my pilots not do to a medical until ALL treatment is done. Also, PLEASE do not ask an AME do purposely defer you (especially if you are NEW to that AME) - I have had some pilots purposely as me to do this so they can collect LTD - sorry - that is not really ethical - and not cool! Color vision - not a reason to defer - just issue a limited 3rd and then get the medical flight test. I did have a pilot who was flying for over 20 years, had a good record, no issues, and then he was new to me - I did his color - and lo and behold - he failed - UGH - what is happening - sent him to an ophthalmologist - he was having issues with more than just color - he eventually was able to get a SI - but he needed time. So as an AME - I act in your favor - but do the right thing - so you do not put your AME in a bind and when you work with your AME - things can go smoothly and if you have a good AME, they usually have a good communication status with the FAA in their region and with OKC. So do not be afraid of Deferrals - we are required to do that. Also, remember if it is for a FIRST time issue that says AASI (AME Assisted SI ) - the FIRST time the paperwork must be submitted first prior to the medial being issued.

letters by the cardiologist are WELL written

Could you elaborate on this, please?

I'm just about to get the last item the FAA wanted for an appeal—a Holter monitor report, followed by a cardiologist's report. The FAA reconsideration letter requests that "the report should also include demonstrated control of your frequent PVCs."

So essentially with Afib / PVCs the FAA is looking for control of the 'events' - this could be with use of medication, an ablation as in ablating the nerve for AFib/ Wolf Parkinson White - and also a 24 hour holter should show a decrease in events, and/or at least stability which a holter will show AND also a VERY good supportive note from your Cardiologist.

Got my med records apparently I forgot about a time in 2015.

I really wish I could send a letter in my own word. Hah.

2011 mom passed away, rode the Celexa train for a bit.

2015 forgot I saw anyone. Had my kid hospitalized 2 or 3 times for trying to depart the planet. Took its toll.

2018 he quit eating, work got in a spot, me and my bride got in a spot.

I don't get put on meds, I got to my doc and say hey, I'm in a spot. Always awareness of things...

So 2 trans kids and a wife with MS... It's been a handful at times.. But haven't been on anything for 3 years.

2015 completely slipped my mind, does the ME need to alter anything. Or just send it in with 2011 and 2018 as I did report?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back