How big of an issue is it if the FAA requests medical records that don't exist?

AJ Henderson

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
AJ Henderson
I'm working on trying to get my 3rd class medical and the FAA requested medical records for an outpatient operation I had performed as a young child over 30 years ago. As near as I can tell, the records they are requesting do not exist. How significant of a problem is this and what should my next steps be?

So many ways to answer - none of them helpful, all snarky with a twist of bewilderment at this absurdity.

Does the 30 year old outpatient operation come with a life long diagnosis? I'm struggling why the FAA would even be aware of a hospital visit from 30 years ago.

It does not have a life long diagnosis and I did list it as part of my medical history. It was a hypospadius repair and has been fully repaired since I was in 1st grade or so.

And people are shocked when others say they withhold info on their medical applications.

This is the thread that I save to link to anyone who claims that the FAA is reasonable in its medical requests. 30 years ago, likely before he was 2, this guy had a surgery to fix something that has nothing to do with flying. And the crazed FAA delays his application because they want to see everything.

It does not have a life long diagnosis and I did list it as part of my medical history. It was a hypospadius repair and has been fully repaired since I was in 1st grade or so.
My opinion….

Have a discussion with your regional flight surgeon to gain their input and perhaps a determination of how to proceed.

And where is your AME in this? He or She should be acting as your advocate and making the call to the reviewers to get this dealt with.

This is the thread that I save to link to anyone who claims that the FAA is reasonable in its medical requests. 30 years ago, likely before he was 2, this guy had a surgery to fix something that has nothing to do with flying. And the crazed FAA delays his application because they want to see everything.
No link to past thread provided

My opinion….

Have a discussion with your regional flight surgeon to gain their input and perhaps a determination of how to proceed.

And where is your AME in this? He or She should be acting as your advocate and making the call to the reviewers to get this dealt with.

If I'm not able to clear it up before I get the other stuff worked out, then I will (get my AME involved). This was one additional thing requested after I already had OSA and undiagnosed hypertension to deal with for it, so I've got other information gathering and treatment development to do for the two real issues and then they surprised me with this third thing they are asking about. From what I heard from someone on a Q/A site, it sounds like they had a similar situation and simply said the records didn't exist and the FAA was ok with that. Here's hoping I get the same reaction.

This doesn’t sound right. You AME didn’t cover it in his commentary, for you?
This is why you don’t do a “Massive send”. ...except in Psychiatry..".. Sigh.

This doesn’t sound right. You AME didn’t cover it in his commentary, for you?
This is why you don’t do a “Massive send”. ...except in Psychiatry..".. Sigh.
Honestly, I don't think he expected them to ask about it. It's a common routine surgery with no long term effects if done properly. There is no medical history of any issues after it. It makes no sense that they are asking about it in the first place. I assume he thougt the same thing. It's really bizarre. For anyone not familiar with what the surgery is, it literally is just where there is a second opening on the penis that they close up surgically. It's super basic and relatively common. It's really not even remotely interesting or relevant.

Honestly, I don't think he expected them to ask about it. It's a common routine surgery with no long term effects if done properly. There is no medical history of any issues after it. It makes no sense that they are asking about it in the first place. I assume he thougt the same thing. It's really bizarre. For anyone not familiar with what the surgery is, it literally is just where there is a second opening on the penis that they close up surgically. It's super basic and relatively common. It's really not even remotely interesting or relevant.
You are only pointing out what many know. Treating physicians treat a patient's condition. The FAA analyzes medical issues in a way which creates big boxes to put people in based on worst case scenarios, and wants the pilot to prove the worst case does not apply to them. Plus, as Bruce says, there is the "massive send" problem where you end up giving the FAA more than they want or need, opening the door to yet more questions.

You are only pointing out what many know. Treating physicians treat a patient's condition. The FAA analyzes medical issues in a way which creates big boxes to put people in based on worst case scenarios, and wants the pilot to prove the worst case does not apply to them. Plus, as Bruce says, there is the "massive send" problem where you end up giving the FAA more than they want or need, opening the door to yet more questions.
Thank you for summarizing some of the problems with aeromedical for us.

FYI, I managed to get ahold of aeromedical division today. They said that it's fine to just send in a note that the records are not available. They'd prefer a note from the hospital or my doctor, but even just a note from me should be sufficient.

A hypospadia repair is a non-issue - should be listed as a surgery - and explained on the medical - and that is all that needs to be done - now if this is something else - then a possible concern.

A hypospadia repair is a non-issue - should be listed as a surgery - and explained on the medical - and that is all that needs to be done - now if this is something else - then a possible concern.

Thanks, yeah, I was able to get in contact with aeromedical division and they said that while they would have liked to have had the files, since they don't exist, I can just send a letter saying they don't exist anymore in place of them along with my other documentation for the HTN (newly treated) and OSA (already treated) and everything should be fine.

I was surprised when they asked for records though. My AME hadn't even bothered to mention anything about it because it was a non-issue, so was surprised when the aeromedical division asked for records on it.

Last edited:
HT - Hormone therapy - can be a nightmare - Testosterone for men is okay - does not require a SI - BUT once you add Anastrazole, HCG, Clomid - that will REQUIRE a SI, there are other hormones that are absolutely NOT allowed - my pilots know about this as I keep them up to date. As for OSA _ another nightmare for many pilots - as this requires annual paperwork and COMPLIANCE with your CPAP - and if not done - the FAA is quick to remove your medical - so keep up with the paperwork and using your CPAP

no problem - usually we in the medical world abbreviate Hypertension with HTN - and that is quite easy with a CACI - as long as you have 3 medications or less, once you go to 4 - that will require a SI - and usually I suggest Increasing the dosages to the maximum vice going on 4 medications.

Yeah, hypertension (updated my original post). My bad. And yeah, I just started treatment. It should only be one medication, so shouldn't be a problem, just have to get the dosage right and get the paperwork in order. I'd been right on the line for hypertension for a while and the pandemic seems to have finally pushed me over the edge in to hypertension, but I was just barely outside the FAA's standards. Disystolic was over by like 5. :/ My Dad had hypertension from when he was 20 though, so its not exactly a surprise.

My CPAP, I have 100% compliance with the program and the CPAP digitally sends the data. I have a pretty minor case, but it made me snore (the only symptom I experienced prior to starting treatment) which was a problem for the wife, so mostly it's a snoring treatment for me and if I didn't use it, the wife might stab me in my sleep. :) The sleep center I have it through is used to working with FAA medical reviews too so I just told them I needed the paperwork for one and they were like "sure, here you go, shouldn't have any problems". They even set me up with follow up appointments to get the paperwork in the future too.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back