Concussion question

C

Concussed

Hi All,

I'm gathering info and preparing to work with an AME for a Class 3 medical. I currently have a couple other issues that will require an SI. Because of this I will not likely need to hand over my records going back a while.

In 2016 I was in a car accident, was taken to the hospital under the guidance of my wife. I never lost consciousness and was active and alert. Aside from some whiplash I walked away fine. At the hospital they performed a CT, and x-rays of my neck, all came back fine. I was asked to follow up with my primary if I felt worse after a few days.

Fast forward a week, my neck muscles were still in pain, and my doc prescribed some relaxers and physical therapy to help loosen them up. He asked point blank if I lost copiousness and I said no. PT went fine, and I recovered no lasting effects.

I recently request my medical records from my doc whom I've seen for nearly 20 years and they can only go back as far as 2007. In it I find "confusion with loss of consciousness- subsequent encounter". I'm in the middle of getting the record amended as I've stated from the beginning and is documented in hospital records that I did not loose consciousness. However considering I will have it amended and from what I've read it doesn't actually get removed from my records. How much of an issue will it be for me when I do in fact submit to the FAA?

How much of an issue will it be for me when I do in fact submit to the FAA?
Honestly, this is very difficult for random pilots on the internet to answer as each situation is different. There is no standard pat answer for you to hang your hat (and aviation dreams) on.

This needs to be a question asked of the AME during your consultation visit.

Along with:
  • What are the steps to proceed
  • What documentation should I gather up prior to submitting the application to avoid the letters requesting more information and having a too short deadline.
  • Will we be successful
  • Will you be my hard charging advocate during the entire process even if things go off the rails
  • If needed, will you make the calls to OKC to solve problems should the FAA take a strange turn to make it more complicated than necessary.

2016 > 3 years. If you were not admitted to the hospital, there is nothing to report regarding this incident. You should clear up the record with the doc, but there is nothing here to disclose to the FAA (including the AME) if you were only in the hospital for tests and not admitted.

to report ... or not to report. You yourself title this question a 'concussion' issue. It is reportable. Consult with an experienced AME.

to report ... or not to report. You yourself title this question a 'concussion' issue. It is reportable. Consult with an experienced AME.

Can you please explain where a (mild, at most, based on the description) concussion from 5 years ago requires reporting on the 8500-8 form? Is that legitimately considered an "other illness" under 18x? What am I missing? That a doctor, who wasn't attending when he went to the hospital, miscoded it a week later in a way that is not supported by the hospital or any other reliable record doesn't make it reportable.

So - the question on medexpress - have you had a LOC event - having a concussion by definition - is hitting your head - does not necessarily mean you had a LOC event. So essentially what you need is COMPLETE paperwork - explaining what happened BY a physician, and sometimes a Neurology consult might be necessary from an FAA standpoint - but if paperwork from your doctor shows there was no evidence of a LOC event - then the AME should be able to issue - and sometimes the FAA will want follow up - what I call a 60 day letter.

Get the first responder and settle the point. However if you had <24 hrs initial LOC and nothing on the CT, the recertification wait period has already passed. FAA officially like a neurologist to comment but at 3 years out and for third class you can use collateral measures of return to cognitive normalcy, e.g the successful interval life test as documented by employers/ supervisors/ clients.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back