Daily Pic

two

peckered

billy goat

holy @#$^* that is hilarious. I don't exactly know why, but it is.

I think it's because it doesn't make sense at first. Forces you to think about it, and envisioning it is just funny.

That one came from my uncle. He had a few others, but they'd probably get me banned.

Couldn’t resist

228f354dac9f99af5864fcdf969354f2.jpg

fargin great day of flying/golf (pic doesn't do the course justice!)

1.jpg

this mansion (pic doesn't do the house justice!)

2.jpg

mad crazy house (pic doesn't do the house justice!)

3.jpg

eman winning long drive competition (pic definitely does the victory justice!)

4.jpg

bunch of sexy mofos (pic doesn't do these planes justice!)

5.jpg

Fun day at KOWB.

The old Ford Tri-Motor "The Tin Goose" was on tour, and our local EAA chapter coordinated the event.
It will be 100 yrs old in 2027.

PXL_20210515_145146152.jpg
PXL_20210515_145029772.jpg

Got to right seat it for a bit. Very cool...

PXL_20210515_223319869.jpg
PXL_20210515_223328577.jpg
Love the steering wheels.

PXL_20210515_223351314.jpg

A nice Caravan on floats showed up...PXL_20210515_164847375.jpg

Josh's face when I told him @SixPapaCharlie and @Radar Contact were my favorite YouTuber's...

PXL_20210515_164113715.jpg

Fun day at KOWB.

The old Ford Tri-Motor "The Tin Goose" was on tour, and our local EAA chapter coordinated the event.
It will be 100 yrs old in 2027.

View attachment 96398
View attachment 96399

Got to right seat it for a bit. Very cool...

View attachment 96401
View attachment 96402
Love the steering wheels.

View attachment 96403

A nice Caravan on floats showed up...View attachment 96404

Josh's face when I told him @SixPapaCharlie and @Radar Contact were my favorite YouTuber's...

View attachment 96397
That's awesome! It was at BMI the weekend of Rough River, so that was my backup plan if we couldn't have come down. VERY convenient that the gross wt. is 12,499 lb.

As our son and his family are RV'ing (in a big fifth-wheel recreational vehicle, not a VanGrunsven-designed airplane :D ) around the western US, the stack of mail and parcels for them was building in our mailbox. Besides, we wanted to see them again! So we threw everything in the back of the Six and flew up to meet them at the RV park in St. Charles, Idaho (population 131), on the shore of Bear Lake, just north of the Utah state line. We reserved one of the tiny cabins at the RV park.

A nonstop from Goodyear AZ to Bear Lake County Airport (1U7) was mathematically possible with legal fuel reserve, but would sorely test the endurance of the occupants. So we made a fuel stop at Delta, Utah.
At Delta a C-180 pilot told us we would love Bear Lake and its clear, turquoise water. He was right. As we crested the mountain range between Logan Valley and Bear Lake, the lake and the reflections of the scattered clouds in the water were breathtaking.

It's still off-season at Bear Lake, and it was easy to spot our son's 39-foot RV from the air at the near-deserted RV park.

Bear Lake County maintains two courtesy cars at the airport, also available for overnight use -- just pay a small fee and fill the tank (and in the case of this seasoned 2001 Durango, also fill the power steering fluid). Trevor, the airport manager, was extremely courteous and helpful. The pilot lounge was nicely furnished and squeaky clean.

Fun fact: St. Charles Idaho was the birthplace of Gutzon Borglum (1867-1941), creator of the sculptures on Mt. Rushmore.

We knew the return trip would be slow and bumpy. A closed low pressure area stalled over southern Nevada, sending strong south winds aloft over Utah and northern Arizona. So we decided to break the trip into bite-sized chunks, with stops at Ogden (nice FBO, great service) and St. George. The southbound trip was half an hour longer than the northbound, and the turbulence put thousands of steps on Mrs. P's Fitbit.

Last edited:
Lovely trip, great photos. I'm intrigued by the fit bit turbulence detector. Seems like someone could create a smartphone app that uses the built in accelerometer to actually measure and record turbulence for reporting formal reporting purposes.

For being in the middle of nowhere, 1U7 is an extremely noisy airport. To wit:

During our stay I had occasion to drive back to the airport to prepare the airplane for the return trip. I had to turn around and take a ten-mile detour because of a traffic jam on the airport access road.

Last edited:
I have three boys already; I might not even notice another one!

The sad thing is that none of my kids really has much interest in aviation. I sometimes think about my teenage years and that if I had access to any airplane as a kid I would have been all over that! Abram

DAD! Is that you?! It's me, your fifth son!:p:D

My son flew with me everywhere until he went to college. I had several CFI friends that offered to teach him to fly in my previous plane (Tiger) for free ... now he wishes he had:mad:

I have thought it looked like a lake I would like to visit. Even from 40,000 feet you can see the bottom in areas.

Mine is a bit young to really tell but so far he is fascinated by airplanes!

View attachment 96504

Keep him at it! Mine has been an airplane nut since his first flight at 3 months old to visit @Ted. He's 4.5 now, and we still fly together whenever mommy needs a break (from both of us :rofl:). And I still love watching jaws drop when he correctly identifies various airplane types.

Flew to 4B0 and back today. When I landed I found this little beauty sitting on the ramp. IMHO, one of the prettiest airplanes ever built.
View attachment 96510

Absolutely. The Swift is one of my favorites. It's classic without looking old. And it looks like a happy airplane that wants to fly. :)

Tried something new today. Tried to fly out for breakfast around all of my work meetings. It mostly worked. I left super early and headed to the Apron at KJXN Jackson, MI.

Pulling out the plane
61BC1932-B59B-4ECD-BB3C-3FA799DFDCD8.jpeg

Chicago in the distance
749FE7C9-95BF-4846-8608-71CD2D798DD8.jpeg

Southern Shore of Lake Michigan (town along the shore is New Buffalo)
DF0A5210-6BB8-410E-B921-E58543DB0EE0.jpeg

Got a nice window view at the restaurant
196CE491-78DA-4911-A523-3A1EC531730E.jpeg

My work set up + this wickedly delicious breakfast
67DD092F-FAA5-411F-8D97-46A5D4023D0F.jpeg

DAD! Is that you?! It's me, your fifth son!:p:D

My son flew with me everywhere until he went to college. I had several CFI friends that offered to teach him to fly in my previous plane (Tiger) for free ... now he wishes he had:mad:

I suspect my oldest may have regrets at some point, but he is focused on finishing school. Even when he sits up front with me, he typically falls asleep! I guess there is always time later.

I have no idea if the other two will regret not learning to fly early. The middle child has shown no desire or curiosity although he has the most natural affinity for aviation. The youngest has shown the most interest and curiosity and asks questions when he sits up front with me, so time will tell!

They all like using the airplane to get themselves and their friends around, though!

Abram Finkelstein
N685AS

Flew down to KRZR, Cleveland TN Regional to visit family this weekend.

Took a quick visit to the Chilhowee Gliderport.
Due to scheduling we weren't able to go up, but hung out for a while, and will definitely return to do so.
@RyanB, (or others) ...been to this operation before and done this?
I'm sure @Bill Watson would say go for it ;)

The tow rope was much smaller than I expected. Looked about like a ski rope (with included obligatory knots from former breaks?)... hmm
PXL_20210522_201310136.jpg

This is from their website, which is a ridge located directly across from them.
Yep.. gotta go.
slideshow2.png

Bunch of turkeys showed up
PXL_20210523_184236519.jpg

Another bunch of turkeys showed up..
PXL_20210523_163556382.jpg

The gentleman in the recumbent bike is a retired Viet Nam vet, 101st Airborne, 82nd Battalion...(which was the same as my Dad)
He owned a few different aircraft until a stroke took him down a notch. Still going though, and a super cool guy.

Aeronca Chief
(yep, that's really him lol)
PXL_20210523_021547765.jpg

Rand KR-2
PXL_20210523_021532057.jpg

Quad City Challenger
PXL_20210523_021557700.jpg

Great weekend with great folks..

Last edited:
Holy cow, next time you're down this way, drop me a line! I've been to the gliderport several times, but have yet to try a ride. (I need yet another hobby like, well, you know...) They have a great rep in the gliding community and the young woman who owns the place is said to be an excellent instructor and all around good person.

Last edited:
Holy cow, next time you're down this way, drop me a line! I've been to the gliderport several times, but have yet to try a ride. (I need yet another hobby like, well, you know...) They have a great rep in the gliding community and the young women who owns the place is said to be an excellent instructor and all around good person.

They seemed like great folks. Someone at the field pointed out the owner, far right of first pic, but I'm not certain.
And I'll try to holler next time. Might make a good mini-fly in event. A bunch of guys who need yet another hobby like, well, you know...

@Skyrys62 - I’ve landed there before in a 152, but never have done any gliding out of there. Beautiful place to fly around!

Don’t be a stranger, come back this way anytime and give us a shout!

Back