Written test prep

vinlearns2fly

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Student Pilot
Hello :)

I am a student pilot getting ready to start prepping for my written test. I have already soloed and in the process of completing all other PPL requirements. I am hoping to take and pass the written test in June / July and then plan my checkride for August.

I am looking for help with training material and test simulation apps geared specifically towards the test. Any guidance will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Several to choose from. It's up to you to judge which fits your needs, study style, and budget.

In no particular order:

Are you doing an actual in person ground school, or are you doing a home study course? If you want to do it at home, signing up through Gleim, Sporty’s or any other number of online ground schools will give you all the material you could ever hope for. I paid like $220 for my Gleim ground school, it came with all of my books, a bag and access to their online test prep material. While it wasn’t the most exciting thing I’ve ever done, it was nice to be able to pick areas and subjects that I felt weak on, and take practice tests on those subjects. I think the practice tests helped me prepare for the written more than anything else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For the PPL I used Dauntless, because I work best with a Q/A type format (looking up concepts when I don't understand a question).

Once you get past the PPL, SheppardAir rules the roost.

@vinlearns2fly ... use caution trying to rote memorize the questions and answers.

@write-stuff can provide more insight to this. In recent times, the FAA has been making substantial changes to the testing material, especially the questions. You could spend oodles of time memorizing (and not understanding or applying) just to discover all of the questions on your exam do not match anything you memorized.

The best approach is to study the knowledge material so that no matter how a question is asked, you understand the concepts, and can apply what you have learn to solve the puzzle.

@vinlearns2fly ... use caution trying to rote memorize the questions and answers.

@write-stuff can provide more insight to this. In recent times, the FAA has been making substantial changes to the testing material, especially the questions. You could spend oodles of time memorizing (and not understanding or applying) just to discover all of the questions on your exam do not match anything you memorized.

The best approach is to study the knowledge material so that no matter how a question is asked, you understand the concepts, and can apply what you have learn to solve the puzzle.

I couldn’t agree with you more. I spent a lot of time trying to understand the concepts instead of trying to memorize and it’s a good thing I did. I took countless practice tests with supposed actual test questions and I only had 1 or 2 that were verbatim. Everything else was similar, but with different scenarios or situations. A guy who was going through training at the same pace as me took his test after I did and his questions were different than mine were as well.

Are you doing an actual in person ground school, or are you doing a home study course? If you want to do it at home, signing up through Gleim, Sporty’s or any other number of online ground schools will give you all the material you could ever hope for. I paid like $220 for my Gleim ground school, it came with all of my books, a bag and access to their online test prep material. While it wasn’t the most exciting thing I’ve ever done, it was nice to be able to pick areas and subjects that I felt weak on, and take practice tests on those subjects. I think the practice tests helped me prepare for the written more than anything else.

I have considered in-person ground school, but my CFI says that I can learn using study materials. I have purchased access to the Sporty's Private Pilot learn to fly course. But found like the video's are fairly high-level. I have not looked at the FAA test prep sections yet and will do that soon.

I have considered in-person ground school, but my CFI says that I can learn using study materials. I have purchased access to the Sporty's Private Pilot learn to fly course. But found like the video's are fairly high-level. I have not looked at the FAA test prep sections yet and will do that soon.

I use the Sporty's Learn to Fly course with my students.

PM me your email and I will send you what I share with them on how to use the system to it's fullest advantage.

Back