Inadvertent omission in past (expired) 3rd class medical

G

Hi, I suppose the answer for this one will be for me to contact a professional, but I thought I'd get a forum opinion first, for what it's worth.

I've had 3rd class medical certificates twice in the past. One was issued 15+ years ago, and the other 12+ years ago.

On the first application, I disclosed that I had been treated for anxiety with medication (now 20+ years ago). I was on medication briefly and at the time of AME exam, I no longer had symptoms or required medication. I was issued that certificate no problem. On the second application, I must not have been very careful, and I inadvertently failed to list that diagnosis. I was still issued the certificate and it has long since expired.

Fast forward to now, I'm getting back into flying. While reviewing my past applications to jog my memory, I noticed this discrepancy. Not sure what is the best course of action. I have filled out MedXPress online accurately and have an upcoming appointment with an AME. Any advice or is it call Dr. Chien?

Sounds like you’re eligible for Basic Med. If that will meet your needs, just go Basic and stop worrying about it.

You've previously reported this diagnosis and there's been no change, right? So you might just check the box and write PRNC.

OP here. I'm actually fine with BasicMed restrictions. I just want to poke expensive holes in the sky a few times a year. I'm more worried about the omission I discovered than I am with getting a new medical certificate. Just happy I found it before the FAA did, since they could very well interpret it uncharitably, and I'd like to correct the record if possible.

OP here. I'm actually fine with BasicMed restrictions. I just want to poke expensive holes in the sky a few times a year. I'm more worried about the omission I discovered than I am with getting a new medical certificate. Just happy I found it before the FAA did, since they could very well interpret it uncharitably, and I'd like to correct the record if possible.
If I were you, I would postpone the AME visit until after you get advice from one of the AMEs referenced in Post #2. If you apply for a medical certificate and get denied, that prevents you from going BasicMed unless you are eventually successful at getting a new medical certificate. The MedXpress you filled out does not count as an application unless you visit an AME and he or she enters the confirmation number into the system.

It sounds like you held a valid medical certificate on or after July of 2006, so there is no need to obtain a new medical certificate in order to use BasicMed (unless you have one of the few medical conditions that require a one-time SI).

https://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/airmen_certification/basic_med/

https://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/airmen_certification/basic_med/media/basicmed_faq.pdf

Last edited:
If you are certain that you reported it long ago, it was also on the AME box 60 sheet which he gets when he opens your file.

If it was there, he is responsible to inquire. Did he ask about it?

Hi, bbchien,

I am certain I disclosed it on my first medical application, and forgot to on the second one. I discovered this by reviewing copies of both of my applications, which I requested from the FAA. Moreover, I also disclosed box T (rejection for life or health insurance) on the first application but not on the second one. The second AME never asked about the discrepancies.

...continued: You know, I actually don't recall the conversation with the second AME, as it was over a decade ago. I don't remember him mentioning anything, but I can't be sure. I wonder if it would help for me to see if he's still practicing and ask him if he had any record of the conversation.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back