Garmin 430 glare coating removal

FARF

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
NESTIAM
I've read a few posts on removing the old glare coating on the screen of a Garmin 430. Suggestions were made to use Windex with ammonia, tooth paste and Armor All products. I looked at my screen today and it appears as if there are "bubbles" behind the plastic giving a crazed/obscuration look to the screen. I ran my finger over the screen and it appears as if there is a layer of plastic about 1/16" in thickness, and the "bubbles" lay underneath this plastic. My question is if the "bubbles" are behind what seems like a layer of plastic, do you have to remove the face of the Garmin 430 to get at the glare coating? It doesn't appear to me that the Windex or other methods would have an effect through the upper plastic layer?

My "anti-glare" coating was on the surface. It was easily removed with a cotton ball, cotton ear swabs........and vinegar.

Mine is doing the exact same as yours. Looks to be behind the screen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've uploaded a file that shows what my screen looks like. Can anyone confirm that this is the result of glare coating deterioration?

Attachments

• 20201206_141508.jpg
    20201206_141508.jpg
    265 KB · Views: 36
Looks behind the screen like mine
5e98a0c109c477919d2d98fbbb8b084e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No...................that is something completely different. You'll need a new screen.

This is what ours looked like. Then the nav radio died, and we had to send it off to Garmin for their flat rate repair. Came back with radio fixed and bright new display.
upload_2021-5-15_10-41-12.png

OK, thanks for the replies. It is currently tied down outside but I've only owned it for 6 months so I don't know what the previous owners did. But the screen was in that condition when I purchased the plane.

Back