<NA> Motorcycle photo thread

I'm slow now, and it's not about abject speed anyway, its about the corners. And when it comes to corners, I like the tighter lower speed stuff as well.

For a long time I liked the faster and higher speed corners, but I'm getting to where I'm preferring the tighter, slower-speed, more technical stuff as well.

My best friend and high school buddy, Pete, is trucking his BMW (S1000R?) up from Tallahassee Sunday for some E TN, N GA twisties next week. Among the possibilities, The Devil’s Triangle, Cherohala Skyway, Foothills Parkway, Deal’s Gap, T.W.O., that sort of thing. Don’t like large group rides, but open to one or two riders tagging along if desired.

I think I’ve posted this before, but this is at a campground in Algeciras, Spain, in 1970 with the Rock of Gibraltar in the background. Pete’s on the left, I’m on the right and a friend, Larry, that joined us on our adventure is in the middle.

8056590276_8e34d3ce85_z.jpg

Getting a Corbin seat for the Italian scooter this weekend! Woohoo!
I've been meaning to order one for my Rocket. What's their lead time like right now? I'm guessing months...

If you look at my last photo, that’s a seat Sargent custom made for me. The BMW K1200RS had just come out and there were no seats offered for it. I sent them a Corbin solo saddle I had on my R100GS and asked them to match that shape, and slightly widen and dish out the rear portion. Significant is that was about 20 years ago, and the bike and seat are still going strong.

Buying a used motorcycle seat complete with someone else's butt imprint and infused farts . . . that's a new kind of cheap!
Leather cleaner is your friend. Not only did I put a used Corbin seat on my 954rr, but I sold it separately and without difficulty when I sold the bike. I wouldn't do it unless the thing was used and in my area.

Leather cleaner is your friend. Not only did I put a used Corbin seat on my 954rr, but I sold it separately and without difficulty when I sold the bike. I wouldn't do it unless the thing was used and in my area.
I'm just giving you crap, Steiny. Kind of like the residue left on your used Corbin seat. :)

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

I wish I could find a used Corbin. Their prices are higher than Willie Nelson. That's what I get for buying an unpopular bike I guess.

I wish I could find a used Corbin. Their prices are higher than Willie Nelson. That's what I get for buying an unpopular bike I guess.
Yeah, I wasn't planning on it. This one just dropped in my lap.

My friend, Pete, just left for his home in Tallahassee. Over the last 3 days I’m sure I rode more miles than I did all last year.

Again, Day 1 was The Devil’s Triangle.

51190642578_bed1d3e594_z.jpg
[/url]

Day 2 we rode down to Tellico Plains and met my friend Russ at Tellico Grains Bakery. He has an R1250RS, his first BMW. Interestingly, all seven bikes at Tellico Grains were BMW’s of various models and vintages:

51190642588_106248aa60_z.jpg

(I guess it’s mostly retired old farts who get to play on weekdays!)

From there down to T.W.O. in Suches, apparently only open on weekends:

51191418101_68d771df34_z.jpg

Then over 180 to 129 and back home.

Day 3 to follow…

Last edited:
Day 3 was a shorter ride down to Foothills Parkway, then back via Happy Valley Rd.

51190642583_55dc69a6cd.jpg

When we got home, I noticed the headlight on my bike was still on. I assumed I must have forgotten to turn the bike off after I killed it in gear with the sidestand, which is my habit. But, no, key was off. Had to disconnect the battery to get the head light off. Troubleshooting today. I have a headlight relay I installed nearly 20 years ago, and my guess is it failed. I’ll pull it - I think it’s a MOPAR part for convertible tops - and see if NAPA has it or can get it.

It’s always something. More reflections to follow…

Eddie, looks like a great couple of days! If only I were retired lol....

I'm looking at a bike ride down to Georgia in a couple weeks. Getting kicked out the house. Might go down and learn to hang glide.

I'm looking at a bike ride down to Georgia in a couple weeks. Getting kicked out the house. Might go down and learn to hang glide.

Can't guarantee anything, but drop me a line when you get down this way, I may be able to show you around a bit. Also, I've done the hang gliding school, but haven't flown in a while and am not current. I'm holding off on hang gliding until retirement, or at least until after the kid goes off to college and I have more time.

My 1st mountain flight:

i-ScxnsDg-X3.jpg

If your route takes you anywhere near Knoxville, swing by.

They do hang gliding off Lookout Mountain in Chattanooga - don’t know if they have classes. Looks like Bill’s photo above.

Last edited:
If you’re route takes you anywhere near Knoxville, swing by.

They do hang gliding off Lookout Mountain in Chattanooga - don’t know if they have classes. Looks like Bill’s photo above.
That's where I'm headed. Do my best to stop by.

The other day I stopped by a Harley dealer for the first time in my life to see if they had one of these new Pan America's in the show room. They also had a demo bike that they offered to let me take for a ride. Who am I to say "no" to a ride on a new bike? I was speechless after riding it, this thing is as good as the motorcycling press says it is... Not sure if I'm ready to lay down $20,000 for one, but it's certainly on my list for my next bike...

Pan America

The other day I stopped by a Harley dealer for the first time in my life to see if they had one of these new Pan America's in the show room. They also had a demo bike that they offered to let me take for a ride. Who am I to say "no" to a ride on a new bike? I was speechless after riding it, this thing is as good as the motorcycling press says it is... Not sure if I'm ready to lay down $20,000 for one, but it's certainly on my list for my next bike...

Pan America

Looks like a Chinese knock-off.

Looks like a Chinese knock-off.

From that one single photo, it does appear a little “cobbled together”.

But the proof is in the riding, and I’ll take Mike’s word for it that it’s a hoot. But I seriously doubt they’ll sell many - Harley lovers won’t want an adventure bike and adventure bike riders won’t want a Harley. Kind of similar to the situation with Buell’s and sport bikes.

Speaking of which, if I were in the market for a bike like that I’ll bet there are some low mileage Buell Ulyssey’s out there for a song.

Buell-Ulysses-1.jpg

Finally, it looks like they followed BMW’s lead, running the spokes to the outside of the rim to allow tubeless tires. Good idea.

Last edited:
I dunno, the Pan America is getting really good press. They've even got some kind of lowering tech for those of us who are inseam challenged. Their price isn't much higher than the larger offerings from BMW and other makers, and I think it looks loads better than any of them. I'll be surprised if they don't sell lots. That looks like a really nice bike. Were I in that market it'd be at the top of my list.

But the proof is in the riding, and I’ll take Mike’s word for it that it’s a hoot. But I seriously doubt they’ll sell many - Harley lovers won’t want an adventure bike and adventure bike riders won’t want a Harley. Kind of similar to the situation with Buell’s and sport bikes.

Speaking of which, if I were in the market for a bike like that I’ll bet there are some low mileage Buell Ulyssey’s out there for a song.

Buell-Ulysses-1.jpg

Finally, it looks like they followed BMW’s lead, running the spokes to the outside of the rim to allow tubeless tires. Good idea.

I'll give Harley credit for at least trying to get into other segments, since their bread-n-butter demographic has been shrinking every year for over a decade and most of the riders are aging out. If they can build some legitimate options against the competition, people will eventually stop associating H-D with being only handlebar tassels and middle-aged white guys, lol.

What has impressed me about the Pan America is it's getting good press from ADV Riders. Usually Harleys get good press from Harley riders and nothing from anyone else. I am really and truly hoping these sell really well and make lots of money for Milwaukee. Perhaps that will encourage them to break out of their mold and make competitive products in other areas. I don't think they can continue forever selling big muscle cruisers to old white guys.

One end of the Dragon

Then went to Tellico Plains and found this bakery. Wife Arlene out in front with her S40 Boulevard

Missed Fast Eddie by a few days.

Thanks for all the help and advice that got us there.

Last edited:

Buell-Ulysses-1.jpg

In the '80s I always wanted a Honda Transalp.

bd29ce81-f30f-4ada-87fb-478f28b2f407.jpg

Scored a Corbin seat for my scooter over the weekend. Sadly, it isn't staying. Damn thing is too thick, pushes me up against the bars. No like. Should be able to get my money back out of it as well.

Back