Crash landed on an island

I think it says there was glove material in the #6 cylinder oil passage, even? I'd be pretty unhappy with my overhaul shop if that happened to me!

Of course, Larry had a little over 300 hours since overhaul and I'm only at 200. I could still have a glove lurking...

I just watched the video. I believe he says “cloth material” not “glove material”

Many years ago in a shop I was working at a cylinder was getting replaced on a Cessna 206. Often, while the cylinder is off the mechanic will put a shop rag under the connecting rod so it will not rest on the case. Well, over the weekend, the owner of the plane came by and decided he wanted to dress the gravel nicks out of the prop and in the process of turning the engine over the counterweight of the crankshaft pulled the rag inside. When the mechanic returned to install the new cylinder he was a bit miffed that his rag had disappeared but I guess he just blew it off as one of the mysteries of the universe like when socks disappear in the dryer. Anyway, that plane never made it 300 hours, it did manage to make it all the way around the pattern on the first test flight though and landed safely.

Well this is why hull insurance is so high. Because the country is covered in jungle and mountains or soft beach, so if you need to put it down it's almost a guaranteed total loss, as in this case. Especially flying at 50 feet.

Captions say that the oil analysis before and after the engine failure indicated the oil was "contaminated". 20 years of oil analysis and I've never had an oil sample come back with that before. He also says that either cloth or fabric was in the oil galleries. My guess would be a shop rag.
Also being someone who has several years of regular oil analysts (4 years) I’ve never had that. Can’t imagine getting a report like that and flying around Central America. It appears clear they were detecting something foreign that they wanted to relay to the owner.

*I didn’t see the part you are referencing just going off what you mention.

So sorry to hear about this, Larry, but very very glad you and your travel companions are uninjured. Hope to see you flying again soon - in person or on video.

The guy mentioned cloth material. I thought there was a thread on here a while back about a Conti overhaul that left paper towels in the case and stuff went south from there. And they say MIF is overblown....

Always wondered what would happen if you were forced down in the middle of nowhere. Now I know. Looks expensive. Good luck to the OP.

One of the reasons insurance is so high on tailwheel and float planes is because of their use in regards to landing in uncontrolled environments that can be inaccessible by any means other than air. These areas don't necessarily have to be that far from civilization either but even a slight mishap can result in exorbitant recovery costs if you can't fly it out.

I recently saw the result of a shop rag being left in an engine. Most of it had been packed into the bottom of the accessory drive and had been there for quite a while. It finally broke down and was discovered by cutting the oil filter and finding fibers.

The engine had run fine for years. I guess oil analysis would have discovered it sooner.

I have oil analysis done each oil change. What parameter would a cloth rag trigger? @motoadve if you don’t mind posting your results or commenting?

I don't recall exactly what he said on the video about what his analysis said, something generic like "contaminated" wasn't it?

Back