Who here sassed the controller at Sun and Fun?

And we have seen the rise and fall of different countries/civilizations for thousands of years as well. It is clear that the direction of this country is changing, and I don't believe it is for the better. I am reminded of the quote by historian George Santayana. "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

So given that every generation has those who complain about the generations younger than them, and this has been true for millennia, and in all that time we have seen both the rise and fall of many societies during that time, one might say those two things are not at all correlated...

So given that every generation has those who complain about the generations younger than them, and this has been true for millennia, and in all that time we have seen both the rise and fall of many societies during that time, one might say those two things are not at all correlated...

You should go with that.....

I have experienced many TRACON guys asking which FBO I was going to, and *silently* passing it on by which runway they landed us. Teterboro comes to mind. They will try to land you 19 if you are going to Jet. 24 if going to (whatever it is now). That was understood by the tower, but no verbal communication was exchanged. Of course it was not a perfect system, so you had to speak up if you had to go to the other side.

why would any right minded pilot want to harass the controllers at sun n fun? just goes to show if you have expectations of people your going to be disappointed.

Technically it had nothing to do with sun n fun.

I hope there was a phone call.

Yep and I'd like to have heard it!

Wonder how his taxi departing at LAL went? :eek: "Taxi to 27 via. Taxiway Juliet, Bravo. Alpha, Charlie, hold short 27 to Echo, Foxtrot, Papa, Papa1, Alpha 1, Alpha, Golf, Juliet, Bravo, Bravo2, Charlie to hold short 27" :D

It’s against the rules to disobey a controller. Is it against the rules to be an a$$? He was a jerk but he did follow instructions.

Hopefully the FAA taught him a lesson that will factor into his next insurance bill.

I go into LAL frequently. If you don't tell tower where you are going, they will ask you, because they need to anticipate your turnoff north or south. Ground has your destination and gives taxi instructions on initial contact.

I think I recognize that controllers voice. When I started flying again after a multi-year break, I got all disoriented flying into LAL. Blew thru the pattern and turned the wrong way. The controller was firm but helpful in getting me sorted out. A total pro.

That pilots voice just says "punch me."

Anyone track the pilot down via the N number??
Only have a partial, but there's a few it could be. The only one that makes sense on my end that I couldn't rule out based on flights is a Barron that curiously has there flight aware turned off. But that's too much speculation to possibly falsely accuse someone

Hopefully the FAA taught him a lesson that will factor into his next insurance bill."

How so? Does a Pilot Deviation hit your insurance premium? This is all still new to me. (No, I don't have a deviation, not planning getting one LOL).

If you get one, are you considered a deviant?

How so? Does a Pilot Deviation hit your insurance premium? This is all still new to me. (No, I don't have a deviation, not planning getting one LOL).

If you get one, are you considered a deviant?
I think Ed may have been angling towards some type of suspension or revocation which would be discovered by insurance companies.
No sure though, just my best guess.

I think Ed may have been angling towards some type of suspension or revocation which would be discovered by insurance companies.
If the Vegas "NO" "Give me Clearance" "I asked for it - give it to me" guy flying into Bravo didn't have a suspension, this guy probably didn't. Not as if he flew under a bridge in Ohio ........

tenor.gif

I go into LAL frequently. If you don't tell tower where you are going, they will ask you, because they need to anticipate your turnoff north or south. Ground has your destination and gives taxi instructions on initial contact."

Been into LAL a couple times and the controllers have been excellent even when busy.

How so? Does a Pilot Deviation hit your insurance premium?

No idea. I'm just a random guy chattering on the internet. But I do know that my aircraft insurance application asks whether I have any convictions, suspensions, or revocations for violating FAR's. Presumably they would not ask that question unless it affected the premium.

I suppose this incident might not rise to that level of offense. But the guy was being a first class A hole, and I love seeing A holes get their comeuppance. So, I hope the FAA finds some way to suspend him for a week, just so it hits his pocketbook at insurance time.

Almost every controller I have spoken with on the radio has been professional and helpful. There is one airport I go into where the controllers seem to always be a bit annoyed, to the point that I almost filed a complaint. And sometimes they make mistakes, I learned a while back to listen to the controllers and do what they say, but also to not follow blindly and keep my own situational awareness up. When I am told to do something that seems wrong, I think about it for a bit and then question them if it really doesn't seem right.
But, even the perpetually annoyed controllers can be very helpful when you have a problem. I try to always be nice and meter what my brain is thinking before hitting the push to talk.

And sometimes they make mistakes, I learned a while back to listen to the controllers and do what they say, but also to not follow blindly and keep my own situational awareness up. When I am told to do something that seems wrong, I think about it for a bit and then question them if it really doesn't seem right.

Yep ... they are human too! Not so long ago a friend and I were leaving MYR and the controller cleared us for takeoff. Only problem was the Cherokee in front of us waiting to be cleared to takeoff. We politely reminded the controller that we were #2 waiting to depart.

I guess we could have just blew by the Cherokee on the grass and hit the runway and blasted on out of there! :D

So what happens if you refuse to call the tower after being instructed to?
Legally you are not required to call any number ATC gives you. Some aviation lawyers tell you not to call without council present, other people obviously say that if you are not a jerk or have not done anything terribly wrong on purpose (like flying under a bridge), then calling will usually clear up the issue and everyone will be merrily on their way.

What did the pilot do to merit a suspension or a PD? Did he fail to follow an instruction?

My experience is that controllers can be just as big tools as this pilot was... I've found it never helps to react or get upset at a controller. Just get what you need and move on.

All this pilot had to say was "I'm going to xxxx" to the controller, it would have been cleared up in a few seconds. The thing about these videos is that you just get one snippet in time. Who knows if the pilot spoke to, or was directed by someone else to do what he did, we don't know that. The controller could have been a little nicer on the first call up, I guess, but those guys have a lot on their plate, so I try to give them some slack. The "don't lecture me" line makes me think it wasn't this pilots time reacting like this.

Yeah, for all he knows, the controller needs very badly to give instructions to someone on a collision path while instead is having to deal with this disrespectful moron.

I’m a boondocks pilot, so when talking to ATC I’m all thumbs. I appreciate them and usually find myself in nothing but an apologetic or appreciative mode with them.

Yeah, for all he knows, the controller needs very badly to give instructions to someone on a collision path while instead is having to deal with this disrespectful moron.

If that was the case, the controller would be in serious need of an attitude adjustment. He kept the exchange alive, couldn’t let it go and just get the guy to parking.

Back