Who here sassed the controller at Sun and Fun?

Glad I’m not a controller. Might have to take a short break and walk over for a comeuppance meeting with that one.

Unreal!

Lol! So you understand that you’re suppose to tell the controller where you’re going but yet you didn’t??? Moron.

The FAA should suspend the idiot 90 days for ATC instruction violation.

You know that 90 days is the maximum suspension the FAA can impose for deviation from ATC instructions, right? Maybe you want to preserve the big penalties for the really big items. Everything can't be a capitol offense.

Lol! So you understand that you’re suppose to tell the controller where you’re going but yet you didn’t??? Moron.

I wonder if it didn't get passed along. I've checked in with approach "...with [ATIS], to [FBO]." Then the tower ends up asking where I'm going anyway. Still no excuse. FAA should make the guy buy the controllers donuts or pizza for a week.

This reminds me of a lesson I learned the other day about making sure you're 100% in sync with controllers. I'm a relatively new instrument pilot so when something unexpected occurs I think it's got to be me. Clearance delivery assigned me a SID that was not applicable to my departure airport. I read back the clearance omitting the SID figuring I would be corrected. I wasn't. Wrong strategy! I should have questioned the SID. When I contacted departure on climb out I was told my clearance is all screwed up. I assume it was the SID. Everything was cleared up pretty quickly so no harm no foul...but lesson learned.

I wonder if it didn't get passed along. I've checked in with approach "...with [ATIS], to [FBO]." Then the tower ends up asking where I'm going anyway. Still no excuse. FAA should make the guy buy the controllers donuts or pizza for a week.

Yeah but that’s not something approach is going to pass along. They don’t care where you’re parking. Now tower, sure they’ll pass to ground “Comanche 345 coming off on delta for Signature.” Even then, unless tower asks, sometimes I just wait to clear the runway and tell ground my parking request.

Yeah but that’s not something approach is going to pass along. They don’t care where you’re parking. Now tower, sure they’ll pass to ground “Comanche 345 coming off on delta for Signature.” Even then, unless tower asks, sometimes I just wait to clear the runway and tell ground my parking request.

Maybe it depends on the facility, because I have had some pass it along to tower (multiple FBO's so it's not like they knew where I was going) and have had some not pass it along to tower.

My experience is that controllers can be just as big tools as this pilot was... I've found it never helps to react or get upset at a controller. Just get what you need and move on.

All this pilot had to say was "I'm going to xxxx" to the controller, it would have been cleared up in a few seconds. The thing about these videos is that you just get one snippet in time. Who knows if the pilot spoke to, or was directed by someone else to do what he did, we don't know that. The controller could have been a little nicer on the first call up, I guess, but those guys have a lot on their plate, so I try to give them some slack. The "don't lecture me" line makes me think it wasn't this pilots time reacting like this.

I used to fly with a guy who seemed to always have a chip on his shoulder when it came to ATC. Can't tell you how many arguments this guy had on the radio. It just made it suck for everyone. I don't fly with him anymore and learned never to argue on the radio no matter who is at fault. I always take a "thank you for the help" attitude regardless and everyone enjoys the flight.

Maybe it depends on the facility, because I have had some pass it along to tower (multiple FBO's so it's not like they knew where I was going) and have had some not pass it along to tower.

If it’s a TRACON working out of tower, which is common in a class C, then sure it’s just a shout out over to the Local Controller. If they’re not combined and tower didn’t get your parking information, then TRACON didn’t bother to pick up the landline and relay it. It’s not flight plan info that can be coordinated on their scratch pad either. It’s not even an operational request. So yeah, it’s not something that approach is tasked to do.

Last edited:
cringeworthy. another scenario that could have so easily been rectified in a couple of seconds.

yes IF the pilot had awareness of what was going on around him, rather than treating ground like a fulltime progressive-taxi and concierge by default. Had he detected the bad instructions earlier, he could've fixed things with those few seconds. He wasn't, so he didn't, and then as bonus, decided to throw an on-freq tantrum to the delight of nobody.

Pilot was having a bad day for sure, but the lack of self-control/self-awareness over taxi instructions is sort of mind-boggling. Mistreating ground wasn't very nice or called for, and I'm sure his local FSDO ASI will delight in reviewing the complaint, then the tape, then in meeting with this rooster wagon and asking him to explain himself

If it’s a TRACON working out of tower, which is common in a class Cs, then sure it’s just a shoot out over to the Local Controller. If they’re not combined and tower didn’t get your parking information, then TRACON didn’t bother to pick up the landline and relay it. It’s not flight plan info that can be coordinated on their scratch pad either. It’s not even an operational request. So yeah, it’s not something that approach is tasked to do.

Yeah, since GRR combined into GLA it's not happening since they aren't in the same building anymore, and that's when it started with "where you are going?" from tower.

It just made it suck for everyone.
That about sums it up. There is no upside from these shouting matches, not for anyone.
What we need instead is more pilots bringing pastries or other treats to controllers. Seriously, this whole system only works well if we all get along.

- Martin

I always take a "thank you for the help" attitude regardless and everyone enjoys the flight.

One thing that was always expressed to me was the fact that we don't argue in airplanes. That means between ourselves in the plane or with others on the radio. We are supposed to be professionals. If there's a disagreement it can wait till we are all safely away from the places where our attention needs to be focused.

When ultralight training many moons ago I had a particular student that would want to debate many of the things being taught and at times it seemed that his ears would quit working at a critical moment. OK, you don't have to listen to the instructor ... just give me the plane and I'll explain when we get on the ground and are sitting at the picnic table ... o_O

Wow... That guy's voice and attitude sounds exactly like someone I used to work with. Maybe he got back into flying...

It is 2021 folks... questioning Authority seems to be the trend. Sick of it.

Sadly, this didn't happen overnight either. Children have been growing up more and more without discipline and respect for authority. When they become adults, they think they are someone important because of all the "participation" trophies they received, not for hard work and actually having the discipline to achieve something, but instead just for showing up. It is sickening the direction we are headed. There are a few of the younger generations that still get it, but the majority seems lost.

Yeah - being a jerk never really improves the situation. Even if the other guy is wrong. Ground cleared me to taxi to runway, and I'm approaching Alpha - look both ways - and sure enough a plane is already there. I just sit for a moment - instead of calling ground back and "got cha!", I' just sit for a sec, chill, and get ready to call back with "hey, why don't I wait for a sec". Before I could do that, ground calls back with "Oh, wait, give way....". All good. Of course, I'm still sitting after the traffic taxi's by because of the other plane he directed off the runway onto Alpha. Rinse and repeat.

So - what exactly happens if you get invited to call a number and you refuse? You mean, Harrison Ford could have just ignored that request when he flew over the airliner and landed on the taxi way??????? Hey, who knew that was an option! :confused:

Potomac Approach always wants to know what FBO you are going to at IAD, and they will try to assign you the closest runway.

So - what exactly happens if you get invited to call a number and you refuse? You mean, Harrison Ford could have just ignored that request when he flew over the airliner and landed on the taxi way??????? Hey, who knew that was an option! :confused:
I do not think that you are legally required to call that number but if you don't, it pretty much guarantees that you will be talking to them at a later date.

Potomac Approach always wants to know what FBO you are going to at IAD, and they will try to assign you the closest runway.

Yeah, if it changes which runway the approach clearance will go to, they want to know. But they also might not even relay that (parking) to tower.

My point is, it’s not a primary service they provide and it’s not a coordination item that they’re required to do with tower. Like a VFR wanting approach to close out their flight plan with FSS. Or a VFR wanting to air file an IFR with approach. They CAN do it but it’s not something that’s universal.

Sadly, this didn't happen overnight either. Children have been growing up more and more without discipline and respect for authority. When they become adults, they think they are someone important because of all the "participation" trophies they received, not for hard work and actually having the discipline to achieve something, but instead just for showing up. It is sickening the direction we are headed. There are a few of the younger generations that still get it, but the majority seems lost.
Previous generations always think that they are different. Then the younger ones look back at all the messed up crap the older ones left behind, including crappy parenting. Thanks Montrose Chemical Corp. for the 100,000 barrels of DDT you dumped on the ocean floor. Thanks 3M for covering up the effects of PFOS and PFOA.

Then the cycle repeats itself over and over. If the problem today is with millennials, then who do you think raised them that way and gave them those "participation trophies"? When one finger points out, three more point right back.

Previous generations always think that they are different. Then the younger ones look back at all the messed up crap the older ones left behind, including crappy parenting. Thanks Montrose Chemical Corp. for the 100,000 barrels of DDT you dumped on the ocean floor. Thanks 3M for covering up the effects of PFOS and PFOA.

Then the cycle repeats itself over and over. If the problem today is with millennials, then who do you think raised them that way and gave them those "participation trophies"? When one finger points out, three more point right back.
It’s also such a lazy, unoriginal argument. One that people have been making for thousands of years.

https://proto-knowledge.blogspot.com/2010/11/what-is-wrong-with-young-people-today.html

https://www.bbc.com/worklife/articl...ple-have-always-complained-about-young-adults

Last edited:
It’s also such a lazy, unoriginal argument. One that people have been making for thousands of years.

And we have seen the rise and fall of different countries/civilizations for thousands of years as well. It is clear that the direction of this country is changing, and I don't believe it is for the better. I am reminded of the quote by historian George Santayana. "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

I doubt the parents of those in this country who went off to WWII thought that generation was lazy, messed up, and resulted from bad parentage.

I doubt the parents of those in this country who went off to WWII thought that generation was lazy, messed up, and resulted from bad parentage.

Yes some did per my second article.

“Many [young people] were so pampered nowadays that they had forgotten that there was such a thing as walking, and they made automatically for the buses… unless they did something, the future for walking was very poor indeed.”
Scottish Rights of Way: More Young People Should Use Them, Falkirk Herald, 1951

“It’s an irony, but so many of us are a cautious, nervous, conservative crew that some of the elders who five years ago feared that we might come trooping home full of foreign radical ideas are now afraid that the opposite might be too true, and that we could be lacking some of the old American gambling spirit and enterprise.”
The Care and Handling of a Heritage: One of the “scared-rabbit” generation reassures wild-eyed elders about future, Life, 1950

“Parents themselves were often the cause of many difficulties. They frequently failed in their obvious duty to teach self-control and discipline to their own children.”
Problems of Young People, Leeds Mercury, 1938

“Probably there is no period in history in which young people have given such emphatic utterance to a tendency to reject that which is old and to wish for that which is new.”
Young People Drinking More, Portsmouth Evening News, 1936

Last edited:
Back