Amphibious Commuter Choice

urquhart

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
urquhart
So... Moving to the lake as a permanent residence. 50 minute drive into work. 21 nm to airport from lake. I've done the math on timing, probably a wash considering securing aircraft at airport and driving to office from there ( but not as adventurous or fun). Choices include amphibious planes, gyrocopters and helicopters... open for comments and suggestions.

Icon

How close is the airport to your work?

https://www.trade-a-plane.com/search?s-type=aircraft&amphibious=t&s-page=3

The Simple Choice

I like the searey planes. https://www.searey.com/
mDMrPmYkZR4aQHTb6

Last edited:
Since when do we buy planes based on merit, wisdom or time savings?! I'm simply jealous. I'd much rather have my seaplane endorsement that gyro, heli, etc.

I looked that concept a few years ago and decided it simply would not work on a year around basis. I live on Lake Coeur d’Alene and contemplated an amphibian to travel between the TriCities in Washington State. 3 hours by car and 1 hour by air. The problem is the wakes and boat traffic in the summer makes landing on the lake a real challenge and would require some kind of lift to get the plane out of the water so it wouldn’t be beaten to death from the wakes. Just to give you an idea, I spent over $10K in fiberglass repairs to my sailboat and over $3500 in dock repairs, all from excessive wakes. In the winter, very light boat traffic but the usual fog/low ceiling and ice on the water. The lake no longer freezes over but there can be a lot of ice close into shore and in shallow bays. I ended up buying a land based aircraft and used that for commuting. Funny thing is door to door, I saved maybe 1/2 hr but it was way more fun.

Airport to work, 15 minutes by car

I solved this problem by re-locating my (non-aviation) business office from downtown to the airport. ;)

If you won't have a lot of passengers or gear in your commute, a Progressive Aerodyne SeaRey may fit the bill (retractable landing gear gives you the ability to use runways or a boat ramp too).

You plan to take off from a lake, arrive on a paved runway, and drive to work. Here you go LOL

286ed488c83f1e92245301.jpg

The world's first amphibious flying car, which can drive on the ground, on water and in the air, will undergo test performances in August. [Photo/wxrb.com]

The world's first amphibious flying car, which can drive on the ground, on water and in the air, will undergo test performances in August, the manufacturer announced July 4.

Wuxi-based MuYu Aero Technology Co independently designed, developed and produced the amphibious flying car, the MY-ABC. A combination of aircraft, boat and car, it was first shown to the public during the China International Aviation & Aerospace Exhibition in Zhuhai, Guangdong province last November.

I used to work for a company where the CEO commuted by landing on the roof of headquarters.

Common joke - what do employees of company X and the Viet Cong have in common? Fear of helicopters …….

Buddy bought himself a little Cessna 150, used it to commute from Spruce Creek to Orlando. Didn't do it very long. I think it got old fast.

Or you could roll like The Man with the Golden Gun: Republic RC-3 Seabee

Back