Stupid Wx minimum question

How about just answering the damn question??

Damn question was answered in damn post 4. And answered the damn again in damn posts 11, 12... maybe more. I think folks are just having a damn good ol' damn time.

I appreciate you pointing me to the regs, I wanted to make sure I was reading them right. The chart says "distance from clouds" and "500 feet below". While I thought that mean the plane would need to be 500 feet below, I could see it being read as "clouds need to be 500 feet below".
Don't just look at the table:
"[N]o person may operate an aircraft under VFR . . . at a distance from clouds that is less than that prescribed . . . in the following table:"

Damn question was answered in damn post 4. And answered the damn again in damn posts 11, 12... maybe more. I think folks are just having a damn good ol' damn time.
I resent having my post labeled as a damn post, damn it!

I resent having my post labeled as a damn post, damn it!

Salty, I'm sorry. Look, maybe if I turn this into a constructive acronym it will help ease the sting...

D own under the damn clouds by 500'
A bove the damn clouds at least 1000'
M ake sure you are 2000' on either side of the damn cloud.
N ever, ever, ever! fly through even the wispiest, see-through-est, tiniest, friendliest damn cloud without an IFR clearance. No VFR pilot has ever, ever done that and lived to tell the tale.

If you can see through it, wouldn't that be mist rather than a cloud?

If you can see through it, wouldn't that be mist rather than a cloud?

I'll have to refer to the section of the JARs (Jerry Aviation Regs) on what constitutes a cloud vs. mist. I mean, all clouds are made up of water droplets and are, to some extent, see-through to a certain distance (which may be only 1', but still). So maybe under JFR you never are actually in clouds... just varying degrees of mist?

I'll have to refer to the section of the JARs (Jerry Aviation Regs) on what constitutes a cloud vs. mist. I mean, all clouds are made up of water droplets and are, to some extent, see-through to a certain distance (which may be only 1', but still). So maybe under JFR you never are actually in clouds... just varying degrees of mist?
Maybe we need to apply the visibility requirements for the class of airspace involved.

Get yer tape measures out.

Mine is messed up ... all I can do is have it trail in the slip stream to tell me how far I USED to be from a cloud. ;)

To the OP: All of this is so you realize don't go closer to the clouds than that estimated distance in case an IFR flyer pops out at 200 MPH ...

Back