I'm too old to push my 182

I have a "Nose Dragger" tug for the Bonanza. A local flying club I've also used has a "Best Tug". The Best Tug is much, much nicer (and, yes, more expensive).

- Martin

Good point. If tire pressure is low it will make it much harder to push.

I seem to recall the POH for my old 172N specifically warned against using the rear tie down ring as a tow ring. Check your POH first.

I just checked the POH for the 172N and the 182P. I found nothing addressing this question in either one. Either I missed it (entirely possible) or it isn't there (also possible).

It was great fun looking through those manuals. They talk about instruments I haven't seen in years (decades?). We've come a long way since the mid 1970s. :D

I just checked the POH for the 172N and the 182P. I found nothing addressing this question in either one. Either I missed it (entirely possible) or it isn't there (also possible).

Never seen it either but know that area where it’s attached can be damaged pretty easily. I believe you want the tie down ring to be a certain hardness/softness so it deforms first, and I’ve heard of people breaking things back there when the airplane is stuck or chocked and they’re cranking away with an electric winch.

On the other hand, Cessna sold a factory glider tow package attached in the same place for the 182.

Soooo it’s one of those “your mileage may vary” things and don’t winch the airplane over obstacles or through deep snow or whatever.

Rolling resistance shouldn’t be that much force on it. But some people have no sense of what they’re doing.

(We see people pushing rentals around by the spinner all the time. Probably taught by their young CFI to never touch a prop out of “safety” so... well, guess what you get... LOL.)

There’s other more solid attach points that something could be fashioned for a 182 if someone was handy and creative. But done without added stupidity... I wouldn’t be concerned to pull my airplane by that ring.

Maybe send a few loose rocks flying and one more opportunity to cut off a foot. :7)

I think most of us are smart enough to not engage the pto if we use a riding mower as a tug....sorry you are not in the group.

Pulling / pushing my plane out of the hangar by hand is part of my self assessment. When I can't do it, I will think long and hard about my fitness to fly. That said, the RC geek in me really wants one of those R/C track tugs.
This has been my approach also regarding my fitness. I have a slight incline to push the plane to its tie down, but if I had a lip to get into the hangar, I’d be in trouble without help.
Having said that, a friend donated a nonfunctional Powertow to me. After $200 tuneup with carburetor, and buying the adapter to fit my front wheel fairing for $125, I have a functioning unit. If I was in a hangar, using and storing it would be easy. Since it is outdoors and chained with a cover to the chain linked fence, it is a bit of a pain to use. So most of the time I still just push it back unaided.

I have been puling / pushing by hand for 3 years now, i have a lip and a dip in the concrete right in front of the hangar. its interesting to say the least when its covered with ice. there are times, i will call the FBO tug because its impossible to move the plane even with 2-3 guys. but a old shoulder injury has been bothering me for a while...

Pulling / pushing my plane out of the hangar by hand is part of my self assessment. When I can't do it, I will think long and hard about my fitness to fly. That said, the RC geek in me really wants one of those R/C track tugs.

I’m not physically unable to do it. I’m just too old to do it. LOL does that make since? I’m in pretty good shape, I exercise often, cardo and weigh training. I just find myself looking at the plane and thinking “now I’ve got to push that sucker all the way over there, this sucks, got to be a better way!” and the older I get the stronger I feel like that. Plus, the weather is starting to get warmer, I don’t need to get all sweaty before I get into a hot plane. So, when I say I’m too old for this, its really me saying I don’t what to do it anymore. Maybe I’m getting a little lazy I don’t know… ;)

honestly.....it's a great feeling to just hook up....pull it out....and hook up and push it back in when yer done. ;)

I’m in a big open hangar w about 10 other planes, so sometimes I have to move 2 or even 3 just to get to mine. The cumulative effects of that have me wanting a tug, especially as it gets warmer!

I’m not physically unable to do it. I’m just too old to do it. LOL does that make since? I’m in pretty good shape, I exercise often, cardo and weigh training. I just find myself looking at the plane and thinking “now I’ve got to push that sucker all the way over there, this sucks, got to be a better way!” and the older I get the stronger I feel like that. Plus, the weather is starting to get warmer, I don’t need to get all sweaty before I get into a hot plane. So, when I say I’m too old for this, its really me saying I don’t what to do it anymore. Maybe I’m getting a little lazy I don’t know… ;)
My concern is that I do not push myself to my endurance limit I will get even older a lot faster. I do not accept aging well. No pain go gain has been verified more than once. But, as I said earlier, over inflating the tires can significantly help.

it does make sense, but personally, if I start finding easy ways to do daily tasks I'll end up NOT being fit enough pretty quick. It's one of those things I refuse to give up, like walking stairs instead of taking an elevator if it's less than 4 flights of stairs.

Snowmass and Salty
I totally get what you guys are saying. I actually enjoy exercise and partake regularly. I love getting on my Peloton bike and doing an hour ride every chance I get. (Then its straight to the shower) I guess I’m just picking my times for exercise. I’m one of those guys that sweats quickly! Lol I know its gross Lol! I admire you both for your dedication though. If I was in a T hanger I might think differently. Right now, I have to push the plane about 50 yards or so up a grade, down a grade then over the sliding door tracks then over some uneven concrete slabs. It’s not crazy hard to do but again I’m not looking to get my workout done before and after each flight. Who knows maybe ill get the tug and decide I’m a sissy for using it? If so, ill sell it and maybe look into AC for the plane. :)

For what these cost, a good used lawn tractor would likely be a lot cheaper
I’m in the market for a tug and had the exact same thought. There are quite a few used lawn tractors in my area in the $200-400 range. Plus it would be a fun project to restore the tractor and convert it for use in the hangar.

I have a nice nose dragger dragger for sale the better version as it uses 12v car battery. like new .needs a battery .sams club boat battery $58. its in sw florida. cost $2k sell $800 just goog Dragger

most riding mowers don't have a sturdy place to mount a ball hitch or pintail hook on the front.no workie on the back .

When I’m too old to push I’ll get a good tug and keep flying for a few more years.

most riding mowers don't have a sturdy place to mount a ball hitch or pintail hook on the front.no workie on the back .
every lawn tractor I've owned or used has a place for a hitch on the back. Our Hangar JD AWS 277 has a hitch on back. It came with a snowplow attachment up front. If you remove the plow blade and leave its base we can mount a 2nd 2" ball on the front. The back is great for pulling. The front is great for pulling and marginal for pushing over very short, very straight pushes. $325 for everything used including the chains for winter. Lots of good used tractors out there w/o mower decks.

Weird. My IA has used three random riding mowers he got for free (mower parts did not work) for over 20 years. Yep, give up...it’ll never work.

Hmm. LOL. That rifle looks familiar. :)

Like one that was lost in a tragic boating accident. ;)

db4e9edb7db78c72dc1411a8141f7042.jpg

I said "most" lawn tractors/ride mowers/cheap .not something like a John deer

Thanks for all the advice! I ordered a Best Tug A3 this morning. From reading here and a few other places everyone who’s used the A3 seems to love it. Its not cheap but I don’t mind paying for quality.
Ill give a PIREP when it arrives (2 -3 weeks for delivery).

Can you please tell us the total damage, with adapters and shipping? And yes, we are looking forward to the pirep.

I saw on Facebook that Mike says a "carry on" tug is in the works. That has no place in my life but some of you guys may want to watch for it.

Snowmass and Salty
I totally get what you guys are saying. I actually enjoy exercise and partake regularly. I love getting on my Peloton bike and doing an hour ride every chance I get. (Then its straight to the shower) I guess I’m just picking my times for exercise. I’m one of those guys that sweats quickly! Lol I know its gross Lol! I admire you both for your dedication though. If I was in a T hanger I might think differently. Right now, I have to push the plane about 50 yards or so up a grade, down a grade then over the sliding door tracks then over some uneven concrete slabs. It’s not crazy hard to do but again I’m not looking to get my workout done before and after each flight. Who knows maybe ill get the tug and decide I’m a sissy for using it? If so, ill sell it and maybe look into AC for the plane. :)

Can you please give us a review of your best tug A3?

I have my Mothers "High Dollar Electric Wheel Chair" . Wondering if it would work for my 172 . It has a 1" receiver hitch where the foot rest connects to the frame. So it would be an easy modification to fabricate a hitch at that point. Needs 2 new batteries @ $100 + each . Tempted to give it a try.
Pulling the 172 out is easy , Pushing it in is not bad till you stop to check wing tip clearance. Only have about 9" clearance on ends of each wing tip.
1948 T hangers with dirt floor but concrete pad where landing gear rolls in. Asphalt up to the door then a bit of a dip and lip across the concrete runners for the bottom door glides.

At age 80 some things just are not as easy as they used to be. :)

I may not be as good as I once was , but still am as good once as I ever was . ;)

Just this afternoon I picked up a new Minimax tug. I flew to Evansville to see how it would work on the plane. Took about 3 minutes and I was sold.

I can’t believe I waited so long. Over the last 3 years I fooled around with a mower and then an electric wheel chair, devising and welding attachments for each. In the end, I never felt comfortable that I wasn’t going to break the 6 figure thing on the end of the $200 thing. So I mostly muscled the plane in & out of the hangar over the years (pulling out was easy, pushing back was not).

The Minimax fits inside my plane too, so I can take it on trips if I want to tow to the pumps for refill without starting up.

Live and learn I guess.

I keep my 182 in a large open hanger. My spot is way in the back and with full fuel (80 gal) I struggle pushing and pulling that PIG! I'm looking at electric tugs, I’ve read a bit on line about a few different brands. Does anyone have any experience with AircraftCaddy 4K Jr? or any other 12V tug? I guy at the airport has one of those drill motor deals but it’s pretty slow. I push my plane about 40 - 50 yards. Thanks for any information or advice!

One more vote for the Redline Sidewinder! It's definitely not cheap, but it pushes/pulls my Navion very efficiently!!

One more vote for the Redline Sidewinder! It's definitely not cheap, but it pushes/pulls my Navion very efficiently!!
I love mine too. It even lets me know when my nose gear tire is low.

My son in law has a little battery powered hand tug that works quite well moving around his Baron B58. He has no room for a golf cart. Although I have a golf cart rigged to move the Mooney around as well as plenty of room for the cart, I usually move the Mooney by hand because there’s less chance of damage.

Back