Have You Ever Paid Anyone to Interview them for a Job?

MBDiagMan

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Doc
I’ve been working on my IR a LONG time! Have had a hard time finding an instructor, get going with one I like flying with and he has to move for a flying job or get things going then have major mechanical trouble, etc.

I have finally really learned the skill of keeping the shiny side up and flying approaches, and all the stuff that goes with it. I have all requirements such as written, cross country time, time under the hood and IMC, instrument cross country et al. The only ticket I don’t have punched is three hours CFII in the previous two months.

An acquaintance of mine got his CFII not long ago so, before resorting to flying to another airport to finish up, I thought I would look into flying with him. I sent him a text that began by saying “xxxxxxx, I would like to talk to you about finishing up my IR in my 140 since it will be weeks or months before my Mooney is back together....”

He courteously responded that he could meet in a few days, he then texted what he wanted to see, like my logbook with all the required hours and so forth. That seemed reasonable since I had told him I had all the ticket punches except the last three hours. While I was tabbing logbook pages and making lists that I figured would be handy on the oral anyway, he texted me to tell me that a friend of mine who has flown with me and taught me a lot because he taught instrument flying in the military, is not a CFII. He apparently thought I was so stupid that I didn’t know that the 15 instruction hours had to be with a CFII. I have WAY more hours in all categories that I need including 27 CFII hours.

So I met him at the scheduled time and sat down with him. He started right away basically challenging all my hours. For instance he wanted each cross country to have a leg of greater than fifty miles and insisted that it wasn’t legitimate. I have 179 hours cross country so I know there’s no problem, but we start through the book checking the from’s and too’s in Foreflight to make sure they are legitimate according to his interpretation of the 50nM stipulation. It took a while, but we got far enough along that he could see that I was good in that category. We then went through the instructors listing each one and how many hours. The long and short of it was that he either thought I was lying about it or was too stupid to know the difference.

So then he starts stacking all the books on the table that he says it is imperative that I read. He asked me some different questions about things, some that l knew, some not. I took my written last August and made an 85 which I thought was not bad for a 72 year old. My plan has been to bone up once I get nearer to the checkride because of the memorization. I think I could pass an oral now, but I plan on studying and be at a point that I know what I’m talking about when I do it. I am not a slacker when it comes to such things.

He said that he didn’t think the DPE would do the ride in a 140. Okay, well another instructor who knows the DPE had told me that he couldn’t imagine that being a problem. This is a 140 with a 420, LOC/GS, six pack and center stack with an O-200 with alternator and vacuum pump. It is a totally legitimate instrument trainer and some have even said they would fly it confidently in IMC. He went on to say that he only had an hour in a Decathlon and something else and wasn’t comfortable teaching in a 140 and said something about feeling uncomfortable with no tailwheel skills teaching someone with hundreds of hours tailwheel. I hesitate to right this because he put it in terms that were unclear.

He stressed that I was going to have to go through the books and that he was going to start over with all the categories of Instrument flying before he put his name in the logbook. I actually understand this, although I would hope that he didn’t spend a bunch of time reteaching me these things, but that might be what he has in mind.

So we wrapped up in a little over two hours. He kept asking about the 172 I flew for awhile and why couldn’t I use it. It was my son in laws who sold it so it’s out. and asked when my Mooney would be back together. He clearly didn’t want to teach in a tailwheel plane.

SO.... we finished our meeting. I had asked him to discuss flying with him and wanted to talk about it, but he considered it a lesson said that even though it was more than two hours, he would round it off to two hours and I owed him $100. I paid him without complaint.

After that meeting I called the guy who taught me to fly many years ago and set up for 9AM the next morning. The next morning I went to that airport almost cross country distance away and flew almost three hours with him with the foggles on. About two hours in, he asked me if I had gone onto IACRA and set up for the checkride. He ended up logging 2.7 hours checkride prep in my logbook.

I spent most of my career before retirement in a software company that went through hyper growth. There is no telling how many people I interviewed for a job during that time, but up until this week, I have NEVER paid someone to sit in front of me an interview for a job. Life is full of firsts.

Last edited:
There was no mention of an exchange of money for services. I swear

Last edited:
Doc, I’ll have my CFII done next month (been waiting on an avionics upgrade to finish).

If you need my help by then, let me know.

Too long. I need the cliff notes.

Doc, I’ll have my CFII done next month (been waiting on an avionics upgrade to finish).

If you need my help by then, let me know.

it would be great to fly with you also Mike! The instructor part is now solved. Barring something happening to the instructor that I’m using now, the instructor piece of the puzzle is solved for now. I’m so close that I really believe I will get there now. The critical path now, is finding a DPE that is willing to do the ride in the 140 and that will fit in it. 75% of my flight time has been in the 140. I can fly it better than about anything else I get into. The Mooney I have now is sort of a beast. My short body was a pussycat, but the F that I have now is just not as docile.

I’ll bet that stack of books was eight inches tall. That’s another thing. I have already read almost all of them albeit a long time ago. I will be doing a lot of studying leading up to the oral, but I won’t be reading all parts of all of those books. I am not good at memorization. I’m a concept guy. Once I understand a concept I will take it to my grave. Those books helped me to learn the concepts of instrument flying. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t know everything, but I’m past learning the basics. I know how to do it. It’s the memorization things that I will have to spend my time on. I just don’t memorize things well. I’m doing great to remember a squawk long enough to punch it in.:)

You thought it was an interview. He thought it was instruction. Maybe you could have clarified that before sitting down with him.

You thought it was an interview. He thought it was instruction. Maybe you could have clarified that before sitting down with him.
Yeah, OP went full deflection on that approach.

Last edited:
I’m dense this morning, not getting what that means.

fwiw, I’ve done the same - met an instructor to talk about the mechanics of lessons and he expected me to pay him. I did, once. It’s a bad move for a cfi.

I’m dense this morning, not getting what that means.

fwiw, I’ve done the same - met an instructor to talk about the mechanics of lessons and he expected me to pay him. I did, once. It’s a bad move for a cfi.
It wasn’t clear. It was directed toward the OP. He let the meeting with the instructor go wildly off course without doing anything to correct it.

I hate reading. Hate it, hate it, hate it.

OP>>>“...I sent him a text that began by saying “xxxxxxx, I would like to talk to you about finishing up my IR in my 140 since it will be weeks or months before my Mooney is back together....” CFII said ok. They did. It lasted over 2 hours. OP’s ‘meet with’ was Ground Instruction to the CFII and he billed as such.

A joke on the title of thread. I hadn’t even read the post yet. A mention of money is required to make a prostitution bust. Without any context to go along with it, not a great joke. My bad

Okay, I get it now. I guess I’m a dull boy to not get that.

OP>>>“...I sent him a text that began by saying “xxxxxxx, I would like to talk to you about finishing up my IR in my 140 since it will be weeks or months before my Mooney is back together....” CFII said ok. They did. It lasted over 2 hours. OP’s ‘meet with’ was Ground Instruction to the CFII and he billed as such.

Yep!

The instructor has never done any work in his career dealing with customers with the exception of cuffing and stuffing them in the back of a police car. This lack of customer experience resulted in his not understanding that had he met with the customer to discuss the project and not presented a bill, the customer would, to varying degree, feel indebted to him. By charging, he got the hundred bucks at the expense of losing the funds involved with the overall project. He is not seeing the big picture.

I spent most of my career before retirement in a software company that went through hyper growth. There is no telling how many people I interviewed for a job during that time, but up until this week, I have NEVER paid someone to sit in front of me an interview for a job. Life is full of firsts.
I often paid people for interviews in my veterinary hospital. In order to determine their skill level I would require them to perform clinical tasks, under supervision. The law says if they do ANY work, they must be paid according to wage and hour laws. I have even been told that if they see a piece of paper on the floor and pick it up and put it in the trash, that is work and they must be paid.

I think payment should always be discussed in advance, because an instructor generally has nothing to sell other than time, so I have no problem paying them, otherwise they simply become unpaid consultants.

If that were the case, then I imagine an 'itemized bill' would outline those items that were actually taught. If the CFII can't (conceptually) write an invoice indicating, "I taught this, that etc" then what is he billing him for?
A CFII is not a Lawyer. Meaning that he is not paid for his time. He is paid for instruction. A subtle difference to be sure, however...
I agree with the OP, you pay that guy once, walk away and tell a good story later.

The critical path now, is finding a DPE that is willing to do the ride in the 140 and that will fit in it
I know of a few that are not scared of tail wheel. Describe required body parameters

I have. MANY times.

I operate a sound and lighting company. We bring people on for a project or two and "test drive; them if you will.

Not a traditional interview but applicable to the production world.

Reactions: Ted

Yes, it occurred to me, but as it all turned out I think it was $100 well spent to know not to start down the path with him. I have no regrets about paying the bill. That’s a two way street though. He could have said this is a lesson at regular rate.

I know of a few that are not scared of tail wheel. Describe required body parameters

It has 150 seats and accommodates tall people quite well. 180 pounds or less would be nice, but without full tanks I could deal with 210 legally.

Moving to Dallas in 3 weeks. Willing to drive to fly with you... or maybe just bring the box stock 120 over to see a updated high tech 140!!

Tools

Yes, it occurred to me, but as it all turned out I think it was $100 well spent to know not to start down the path with him. I have no regrets about paying the bill. That’s a two way street though. He could have said this is a lesson at regular rate.

I agree - like I said, I did the same. When your first impression of a CFI is that they're going to nickle and dime you for everything, it's not a good start.

A CFII is not a Lawyer. Meaning that he is not paid for his time. He is paid for instruction. A subtle difference to be sure, however...

I don't agree with this. I consider you to be paying me for my time. How much quality instruction I provide during that time is the reason you're going with me and not somebody else, but that's more a measure of quality, not quantity. Let's say you hire me to fly with you on a good IFR day to get some actual experience. We schedule a 2-hour block from say 2-4 PM. I get there my customary 5 to 10 minutes early. You show up at 2 and then spend 30 minutes preflighting, getting the plane out of the hangar, fueling it, whatever. (Yes, this happens all the time.) I'm not providing any real instruction during that time but you can bet I'm charging for that time.

You paid him for two hours of ground instruction. Did you get a signed logbook entry from him?

That's not a good metric either. I've done lots of instruction with pilots and not signed off any ground instruction - typical everyday example would be a 2-hour block with 1.5 of flight and 0.5 of "ground", being pre and post flight discussion. I am charging for 2 hours but likely won't document the 0.5 of "ground", because it usually doesn't matter and nobody cares. Along that line, I've had numerous cases where I haven't put anything in their logbook - because they didn't bring it with them - but I'm still charging for my time. The typical example here is like the one above - actual IMC experience. It's usually something spur-of-the-moment like them calling me saying "hey the weather's 800 overcast, can you fly this morning? I'll leave the office right now if you can." Grabbing their logbook is not top priority or even necessary - if desired, we can catch up later, but that almost never happens for one-off training events, in my experience.

In the OP's case, there was clearly some miscommunication as to what was expected - it happens. As for me, I don't (typically) charge to sit down with a new client and figure out a way forward. To me that's more "marketing" and is in my best interest. I've done it over lunch (I will say usually the client will pick up the tab, although I have done so too), but it also doesn't usually take 2 hours. However, I wouldn't really expect to comb through a client's logbook for 2 hours for free. However however, it also shouldn't take me two hours to do so.

The OP's CFII also has some of the rules wrong, and seems to be a difficult sort to work with, so I am glad he went elsewhere.

That's not a good metric either. I've done lots of instruction with pilots and not signed off any ground instruction - typical everyday example would be a 2-hour block with 1.5 of flight and 0.5 of "ground", being pre and post flight discussion. I am charging for 2 hours but likely won't document the 0.5 of "ground", because it usually doesn't matter and nobody cares.
The fact that "it usually doesn't matter and nobody cares" doesn't change the reg.

The objective answer: he gave you two hours of his time, that should be compensated. It's as much an interview for you as it is for him to see you are a good fit.

The actual answer, I sort of think it's BS, especially if he didn't tell you upfront that this was "note a free quote" and he'd charge for this sit down time.

RE: HOBBES vs actual time instruction..
When I got my private the instructors always charged based on HOBBES time, if we had the plane from 1 to 3 and flew it 1.7 he'd charge 1.7 and I'd pay him 1.7. "Recently" (last 10 years) I see this has changed and instructors charge the whole time

I'm torn on this. YES, they are giving you two hours of their time, but NO they are not actually teaching you anything when you're just waiting for the fuel truck at the plane talking about whatever and shooting the ****. And often times the CFI is not actually with you the whole time, they stroll out the ramp 15 minutes into the hour to "give you preflight time" and start making phone calls or texting their next student after touchdown. Go on a long cross country and stop somewhere for lunch? They should not be charging you for the time you chow down a burger

But that's just me.

The fact that "it usually doesn't matter and nobody cares" doesn't change the reg.

Of course it doesn't, no question. I assume you're referring to 61.189a, "A flight instructor must sign the logbook of each person to whom that instructor has given flight training or ground training."

If that's your point, then I'll freely admit that I have violated that regulation numerous times, as has probably every other CFI out there. Typical case, as mentioned above, is someone who requests some one-off training event, such as working on crosswind landings or actual IMC, and doesn't bring their logbook. Therefore, I can't sign it, and there's nothing I can do about it. Happens all the time, since most people not in active training wisely don't keep their logbook with them. I suppose I could sign a piece of paper and give it to them, but that isn't exactly "signing the logbook" either.

If your point is that "not entering all ground training, even pre-and post-flight, in the logbook is a violation", well, that's possible. I could make a slight quibble, though, that the wording of 61.189a only requires me to sign the logbook of someone I gave ground or flight training to, not that I necessarily write anything else or detail out the breakdown of time. That responsibility is the pilot's, as defined in 61.51b and h.

When I got my private the instructors always charged based on HOBBES time, if we had the plane from 1 to 3 and flew it 1.7 he'd charge 1.7 and I'd pay him 1.7. "Recently" (last 10 years) I see this has changed and instructors charge the whole time

I have no issue with CFIs who charge this way, if they want to. As long as they realize they are effectively working for less than their stated rate. If I wanted to charge just by Hobbs, I could increase my hourly rate about 25-40% and the end result would be the same. Some say it's easier to charge by Hobbs, I don't understand that, either way you're doing some basic math, and it's easier to multiply an hourly rate by 2 than by 1.7.

I'm torn on this. YES, they are giving you two hours of their time, but NO they are not actually teaching you anything when you're just waiting for the fuel truck at the plane talking about whatever and shooting the ****. And often times the CFI is not actually with you the whole time, they stroll out the ramp 15 minutes into the hour to "give you preflight time" and start making phone calls or texting their next student after touchdown. Go on a long cross country and stop somewhere for lunch? They should not be charging you for the time you chow down a burger

If we stop for lunch, I'm not charging for that time. Usually the client will buy me lunch anyway. However, I did mention this one of my clients once, and his answer was "why not? I do." He is a lawyer. I don't know how billing works in that world.

Otherwise, if you schedule me at 2, I'll be there by 2. You could easily have arrived at 1:30 to get the preflight and fueling and all taken care of. Or scheduled me at 2:30, whichever. But once our scheduled time is reached, my clock is ticking. If you still need to preflight and call the fuel truck, well, I'm happy to get paid to watch you do it - I'll even help with stuff like pulling the plane out or whatever, since after all you are paying me. Of course, I make this known to a client at our first meeting. There should be no surprises.

Now, most of my work is with either aircraft owners or people seeking advanced ratings - some of this would be different if it was with student pilots renting airplanes, but after a certain point in training, even that isn't any different.

Typical case, as mentioned above, is someone who requests some one-off training event, such as working on crosswind landings or actual IMC, and doesn't bring their logbook. Therefore, I can't sign it, and there's nothing I can do about it. Happens all the time, since most people not in active training wisely don't keep their logbook with them. I suppose I could sign a piece of paper and give it to them, but that isn't exactly "signing the logbook" either.
that's what signing my logbook looks like. (actually, it would be an address label, not just a plain old piece of paper)

Last edited:
Russ, you bring up some good points. I am someone who completely respects peoples time. I can’t STAND to be even one minute late for anything. I completely understand that not everyone is punctual. I feel that being late to meet up with anyone either personal or professional is rude and disrespectful. I taught my kids that punctuality is part of your charecter.

As far as miscommunication, it takes two to communicate I assumed that an initial meeting in the way that I requested was a meeting to discuss if and how we proceed. Since I didn’t make it crystal clear I’ll pay him without complaint and AFAIAC it was a cheap price to learn that this not the path I want to follow.

Don't be silly, you did not give someone a job interview. Were you going to pay him 40 hours a week and give him health insurance, paid vacation, and all the other benefits expected with a job?

Don't be silly, you did not give someone a job interview. Were you going to pay him 40 hours a week and give him health insurance, paid vacation, and all the other benefits expected with a job?
Perhaps, but personally, I’d be pretty ****ed if someone asked me to pay him to review my logbook for 2 hours when what I wanted was instrument instruction.

Back