Epilepsy

Brett-V

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Brett-V
First post here...
I always had the goal of getting a pilots license after finishing my surgical training. I'm a few months away and while doing my research for the license, found that the FAA clearly states that a history of epilepsy will be denied. I had a few unprovoked seizures about 10 years ago, was fine on medication, then had another seizure 1 year ago while trying to come off of meds. I'm at a point where it's well controlled with medication, but I do not meet criteria to have surgery to completely come off meds (nor do I really want it). I've seen a few stipulations that one can be medically cleared if seizure free for 10 years, but need to be off meds for the last 3. My interest in flying is purely for sport. My brother inlaw is a commercial pilot and we've talked about getting something small for weekend trips and back country camping with our families on weekends. From what I can find, it looks like I can fly an ultralight under the part 103 rules but would love something with at least 2 seats, like a Kit Fox of Cub, to bring my wife. Will I ever be able to fly something larger than a ultralight? I just don't want to get my hopes up.

My interest in flying is purely for sport. ... Will I ever be able to fly something larger than a ultralight?
Welcome to PoA. If you have a drivers license, check out sport pilot / light sport aircraft.

First post here...
I always had the goal of getting a pilots license after finishing my surgical training. I'm a few months away and while doing my research for the license, found that the FAA clearly states that a history of epilepsy will be denied. I had a few unprovoked seizures about 10 years ago, was fine on medication, then had another seizure 1 year ago while trying to come off of meds. I'm at a point where it's well controlled with medication, but I do not meet criteria to have surgery to completely come off meds (nor do I really want it). I've seen a few stipulations that one can be medically cleared if seizure free for 10 years, but need to be off meds for the last 3. My interest in flying is purely for sport. My brother inlaw is a commercial pilot and we've talked about getting something small for weekend trips and back country camping with our families on weekends. From what I can find, it looks like I can fly an ultralight under the part 103 rules but would love something with at least 2 seats, like a Kit Fox of Cub, to bring my wife. Will I ever be able to fly something larger than a ultralight? I just don't want to get my hopes up.

YES. Sport pilot license is what you need/want to pursue, you don't have to have a medical for it. DO NOT apply for a 3rd class medical. You'll be denied, then you won't have a snowball's chance of even flying on your driver's license.

Just if these warnings against trying to get a medical weren't enough - here are the notes for the Aviation Medical Examiner on the topic:

* Unexplained syncope, single seizure. An applicant who has a history of epilepsy, a disturbance of consciousness without satisfactory medical explanation of the cause, or a transient loss of control of nervous system function(s) without satisfactory medical explanation of the cause must be denied or deferred by the Examiner. Rolandic seizures may be eligible for certification if the applicant is seizure free for 4 years and has a normal EEG. Consultation with FAA required.

** Infrequently, the FAA has granted an Authorization under the special issuance section of part 67 14 CFR 67.401 when a seizure disorder was present in childhood but the individual has been seizure-free for a number of years. Factors that would be considered in determining eligibility in such cases would be age at onset, nature and frequency of seizures, precipitating causes, and duration of stability without medication. Followup evaluations are usually necessary to confirm continued stability of an individual's condition if an Authorization is granted under the special issuance section of part 67 14 CFR 67.401.

Definitely look at sport pilot. Keep in mind that several older GA airplanes qualify under the sport rules, especially the old grasshopper tail wheel airplanes.

There are rumors that sport pilot weight limits might increase to include common GA airplanes, but I wouldn't put any stock in that until you hear the FAA talk about it.

Thank you all for the help. That link gives some great info but the part that gets me is the “Not know or have reason to know of any medical condition that would make that person unable to operate a light-sport aircraft in a safe manner.” I clearly know I have an issue as I'm actively taking medication for it, but do I fit into the 'safe' category as my seizures are controlled? also I have had many EEGs, even one that lasted 2 weeks, and it never came back positive.

Thank you all for the help. That link gives some great info but the part that gets me is the “Not know or have reason to know of any medical condition that would make that person unable to operate a light-sport aircraft in a safe manner.” I clearly know I have an issue as I'm actively taking medication for it, but do I fit into the 'safe' category as my seizures are controlled? also I have had many EEGs, even one that lasted 2 weeks, and it never came back positive.

Light Sport......no doubt!!

That's an excellent question. And one that you should pose to your treating physician. Assuming your physician doesn't have an issue with you driving, and doesn't have an issue with you flying, it isn't a problem. This isn't about meeting part 67 medical standards, but a personal risk assessment of your medical fitness.

Go for a Sport Pilot license. Light Sport Aircraft are quite capable planes. You’ll be limited to daytime VFR, but you can fly yourself and one passenger anywhere in the US and the Bahamas. Weight limits will constrain your luggage a bit, but so does traveling by motorcycle. It’s not that bad, and really it’s pretty much your only option.

Go for a Sport Pilot license. Light Sport Aircraft are quite capable planes. You’ll be limited to daytime VFR, but you can fly yourself and one passenger anywhere in the US and the Bahamas. Weight limits will constrain your luggage a bit, but so does traveling by motorcycle. It’s not that bad, and really it’s pretty much your only option.

In 2023, some of these restrictions just MIGHT change.

Sport planes can give you 120 knots and a few give 600 lbs. or more to carry people, gas, & bags. The right sport plane can be fair cross country machine or a back country STOL plane. Lots of options.

If you are safe enough to drive you should be safe enough to fly. When doing an evaluation of your health for flight it's important that you be brutally honest with yourself.

Back