Youtube Video Question

BPM

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
BPM
In this video, at around ~1:30, after receiving clearance to use runway 15, with winds of 170, the pilot requests runway 27. Does anyone have a guess as to why?

Because it's RIGHT there.

My T-hangar is at the end of 22 at my airport, I'll gladly accept a crosswind or even a light tailwind to save 5+ minutes of taxi.

I was a bit curious about why the controller would bother to cancel out the IFR flight plan. Does it hurt anything to just let it expire? I've had a similar situation where I had a plan on file but decided to go VFR. The controller in my case seemed confused that I didn't want to open the plan I had on file. I didn't want to cancel it though in case there was some unforecast weather or I needed to climb higher for smoother air.

In this video, at around ~1:30, after receiving clearance to use runway 15, with winds of 170, the pilot requests runway 27. Does anyone have a guess as to why?

First, look at this taxi diagram of ARR. https://aeronav.faa.gov/d-tpp/2104/05103AD.PDF

I have not watched the whole video, but taxiing to 27 would be much quicker than taxiing to runway 15 which is probably the main reason. Also winds were a crosswind of 9G15 from 27 which is well within the range that aircraft can handle.

Thanks for the quick replies. The idea of a shorter/quicker taxi makes sense and never popped into my head.

Because it's RIGHT there.

My T-hangar is at the end of 22 at my airport, I'll gladly accept a crosswind or even a light tailwind to save 5+ minutes of taxi.

I was a bit curious about why the controller would bother to cancel out the IFR flight plan. Does it hurt anything to just let it expire? I've had a similar situation where I had a plan on file but decided to go VFR. The controller in my case seemed confused that I didn't want to open the plan I had on file. I didn't want to cancel it though in case there was some unforecast weather or I needed to climb higher for smoother air.

It doesn’t hurt anything to let it expire. The controller was probably just wanting to clean up their strip board though. They have an IFR sitting there that’ll never be used. Just remove it from the system and chuck the strip in the trash.

He’s too busy making YT vids to reply. I don’t know how Kevin has the time or the money to do that much flying. @Radar Contact should quit his day job and become a full time YouTuber! :)
Ha ha. I wish...YouTube would need to pay A LOT more money for that. :)

Sorry for not seeing this earlier @BPM , as mentioned it was purely about the taxi time. Our hangars are right by 27. 15 is a looonng taxi. Twin Cessnas have big rudders and I’d rather take a stiff x-wind if it’s still safe.

Back