I bought a famous airplane

Pilawt

Final Approach
Santa Rosita State Park, under the big 'W'
Display Name

Display name:
Pilawt
Last week I took a Delta flight to Atlanta to see the Cherokee Six I was interested in. I took a MARTA train from the airport. The seller picked me up at the Doraville station and drove me to his hangar at LZU.

On the way he said, "Did I tell you about the airplane's history?"

Uh oh. That's generally not something you want to hear when buying an airplane.

Then he told me the story, dating back to 2006, long before he bought it. I recalled hearing about it. This is indeed probably the most famous Cherokee Six around.

https://www.pressreader.com/usa/usa-today-international-edition/20060908/282634618097351

And yes, the bed came with the purchase.

Perfect for camping! :D I did turn down the seller's offer to let me have the hot-pink sheets.

I have an idea for a raffle prize at next year's PA-32 fly-in! ;)

Attachments

• IMG_3834.jpg
    IMG_3834.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 63
Did you spray that stabilator surface down with Lysol after those pink sheets were removed?

When I put the 414 up for sale, one of the guys who was interested in buying it was going to use it for mile high club rides if he bought it. I'm not sure I'd want to do those in a Cherokee Six, a little too close for my tastes, but to each his own. :)

Inspect the inside of that plane with a black light. On second thought, never mind, it would probably look like a Jackson Pollock painting!

I'm hoping that you're keeping your dad's 172 as well. We ALL need two airplanes!!

to carry stiffs around.
I see what you did there :rofl:

After 40 years the percentage of pa32's that have been used for adult activities is probably disturbingly high. Id just rather not know.

I would imagine difficult to keep trimmed depending on how fast and far the c.g. kept moving.

The linked article says everyone got fresh sheets and got to take the sheets with them.

I see what you did there :rofl:

After 40 years the percentage of pa32's that have been used for adult activities is probably disturbingly high. Id just rather not know.
Yours was previously owned by Hugh Hefner, figured now would be a good time to tell you.

I guess it's better than one that was used by a funeral home to carry stiffs around.
True story: way back in the day I refueled planes at the small airport my father managed. Went out to one after getting the ladder, forget what kind of plane it was. As I walked around and happened to peek in the door I saw a long white sheet covering something. Looking closer, I saw a foot sticking out with a tag tied on the big toe. Corpse. Just as you said.

Yuck

Attachments

• emoji.jpg
    emoji.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 19
Back when I was a line guy, we had a Cherokee Six come in to pick up a body and the funeral home that brought it to the airport wanted their body bag back. I can still picture the guys gray hair blowing in the wind as they transferred him to another bag. I don’t know why the pilot couldn’t just have given him the empty bag and called it good.

I helped unload a body from the back of a 210 once. A funeral home director had asked my friend to help him pick up the deceased woman a couple hundred miles away.

She was wrapped in white plastic sheeting, quite obvious to anyone what the "package" was.

As we got her out and turned to put her in the back of the funeral guy's unmarked minivan a car came around the corner. They stopped briefly and then remembered a pressing engagement. I expected cop cars to show up but they never did.

Many years ago I "moonlighted" for a small charter company and one thing we did was conduct "funeral" flights where we would have a local funeral director come to the airport where we would transfer the deceased to a Cherokee 6 in a body bag then fly to the destination where we were met by another funeral director who received the deceased. The service was very affordable for the families because transporting a casket (very heavy) by commercial airlines was quite expensive and, in many cases, still required ground transportation to smaller towns not served by airlines. A good service for families who were in need of it. Note: Such flights had the flight plan annotated as "funeral flight" so as to not confuse anyone who would find more people on board (in case of an accident) than were listed as passengers!!

Don't go through the plane with a black light if you don't want to know what's there...:p

For those who say ewwww, I guess you never stayed at a hotel, or bought a used car.

Or driven one of those used cop cars used as courtesy cars at airports... LOL

Guaranteed every bodily fluid has been everywhere in those. Hahaha.

I suppose it was better than other ways to treat the departed.

200.gif

How much extra for a zero-G push?

A. Totally worth it.
B. If I'm gonna die, let me die like that.

OK, how about hitting all the bases: Get stiff, come back a stiff. Pilot takes off with 3 souls on board, Man Dies During Sex, 'Extreme Orgasm' Determined as the Cause of Death (news18.com).
Pilot amends flight plan from "Mile High" to "Heavenly Gates".
Such flights had the flight plan annotated as "funeral flight" so as to not confuse anyone who would find more people on board (in case of an accident) than were listed as passengers!!

Last edited:
Hard pass...

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Well taking out the black light on the pre-buy is a new one...

A. Totally worth it.
B. If I'm gonna die, let me die like that.

Then I can get a ride in a Cherokee Six, maybe.
Had an aunt that had her umm...partner pass during a fun evening. "I knew he was dead when he crapped the bed"

The article mentioned Flamingo Air which is based at KLUK. I flew a Cherokee (not a Six) in their fleet once. I didn’t notice a curtain behind the front seats. Hope they didn’t offer a discount rate for the four place ones.

They do advertise “sight seeing” flights but don’t specifically identify all the sights that might be seen.

Cheers

Back