1K Landing Fee proposed in MA

Unbelievable from so many angles. Someone(s) actually sat down to write this.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

huh...

>>>
...the Massachusetts port authority shall assess a climate impact landing fee of not less than one thousand dollars on personal aircraft, corporate owned aircraft and charter rental aircraft each time that any such an aircraft is to land at an airport in the commonwealth.
<<<

Looks like a lot of privately owned airports may put up big signs that say, "Parking $5".

No doubt a tingle ran up his leg as he composed this.

By the way, if Taxachusetts is successful, I can guarantee you that some other states will do the same thing.... mostly on the left coast.

This seems like one of those bills that's designed to get attention (and it's apparently worked). People who support it will cheer and donate money to their favored politician. People who are against it will be outraged and donate money to their favored politician.

Meanwhile, I'm just here like:

4ee9b0eb9f73a036a4b44f25445e6745.jpg

So I guess they are saying **** you to anyone on an Angel Flight as well.

Also noticed that it says aircraft, and not airplane. So gliders are included also.

So I guess they are saying **** you to anyone on an Angel Flight as well.

Also noticed that it says aircraft, and not airplane. So gliders are included also.
Gliders don’t have much of a carbon footprint, unlike the tow plane. That would add $2k to every glider flight.

It doesn’t exempt life flight helicopters, either.

Last edited:
Whoever wrote this bill has no idea how food shows up in the grocery store. It’s even possible they have no idea how food shows up in their own refrigerator.

Unbelievable from so many angles. Someone(s) actually sat down to write this.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

What's concerning is all the non-elected interest groups, who actually write the draft bills and hand them to whoever submits them, just sit a computer all day writing every fairytale thing they want and saves it on their computer. I have no doubts that complete gun confiscation, air travel ban, petroleum powered vehicle ban, ____________ has already been written and is stored on a computer waiting to be tweaked and printed.

The bill appears to exclude government aircraft.. So no fee for the Honorable Mr Cyr.
Very clever, half the money goes to the town or municipality, so they have an incentive to support it and half goes to a fund that does not yet exist to mitigate climate impact, so the other politicians like it as it becomes a slush fund for pet projects with the word climate in them.. Massachusetts isn't that big. When I go to visit my dad, New Hampshire or Rhode Island will work just fine..

Problem is, there will not be any revenue. Nobody is gonna fly there.

MVY
Aircraft operations: avg 100/day *
50% transient general aviation
45% air taxi

1B2
Aircraft operations: avg 128/week *
55% local general aviation
45% transient general aviation

That will cut down on a lot of people going to Martha's Vineyard.

Brainiac probably sees it as a way to bring in an extra $800,000 week just from Martha's vineyard alone.

It's pandering / politicking to the woke crowd that will vote for this guy. Trouble is that there is a path to making this law. Why not? CA has a lot of rules that are killing industry, housing, etc. Why not MA as well?

But.... he can do this because he was elected, and people vote for this. Whether it makes sense or not isn't in play. It doesn't matter if this doesn't generate revenue, kills jobs, etc.

Last edited:
Well, you know, it's just those rich fat cats in their private planes, $1000 per landing is nothing for them, right?

Massachusetts has a group/groups of activists who want small airplanes banned from the skies. They don't have much support from the public from what I see, but they do have the ear of legislators. The group is pretty sophisticated, using flight aware to get registration numbers, altitudes and flight paths, plus some pretty good video equipment to match video to the airplanes. Some of these people are real whack a doodles, one lady claims she needs absolute silence so she can study.

In my area of the state they claim to have been complaining to the flight schools, although I don't think this is true. They are documenting just about every airplane that flies over their houses and attend every airport meeting to complain about noise. Most of it is baseless, but unfortunately they just got some video of a genius pilot flying over what is charted as a congested area doing figure 8s at about 300 feet agl (gps-flight aware). This BS gives them the credibility with the legislators who have figured out the FAA will do nothing about the legal flights. The legislators are apparently trying to backdoor planes out of the sky. And they just might succeed.

Id love to buy the place next door to her, and put in the motocross track I’ve always wanted.

Some "legislator" from the People's Republic of MA introduced Bill S.2305 to levy a $1K landing fee on non-cargo, non-public aircraft landing at any municipal our county owned airport in MA. Can't have those personal aircraft people flying to the Cape and Islands.

https://malegislature.gov/Bills/192...IvU_6o7ZydFmE1Z2r7HKhHkS3sJmtU74I9-gfUAdDU6D4
The legislator in question represents the Cape and Islands, don't forget that.

How to fight against this bill? Always follow the money.

Every state has a periodic report that details financial impact of aviation in the state. This includes not only direct income/costs but associated jobs, business revenue, off-airport spending (visitors who fly in), agriculture & taxes.

Don't know about Mass, but in Colorado, aviation (as per the CDOT 2020 report for 2018), the 70 (really 74 but 4 didn't report) airports in Colorado support 346,000 jobs (9% of the state in general) with a payroll of over $16 Billion and business revenue of over $48 Billion. GA spent more than $20 billion supporting nearly 200,000 jobs. If we assume the same limitations as the proposed Mass bill, none of this come from cargo or commercial, schedule aviation.

Check out the similar report from Mass DOT at https://www.mass.gov/economic-impact-study
What's the prominent image on the cover? Bunch of spam cans. This report is only 12 pages compared to the 115 for the Colorado report. But then, Mass is tiny compared to Colorado. Military $$$ impact is in the Mass report but not in Colorado.

If the major GA airports (and the Big 2 - DEN and COS really do have a GA component but let's not include them the discussion) started a $1000/landing fee (or a substantial fee) I can almost guarantee there will be

1) zero flight training - there's no exemption for flight training in the Mass bill that I can find
2) minimal traffic to Aspen, Vail and Telluride for ski season - they'll go to Utah
3) zero medical transport - no exemption in the bill
4) zero Angel Flight - no exemption in the bill
5) zero Young Eagles, and other aviation educational groups
6) at least half the existing GA-specific airports will close up due to lack of business (no fuel, no maintenance, no visitors)
7) Hm...the USAF Academy will have a problem since it uses 5 or 6 GA airports for training in addition to the Academy field - no exemption in the bill

This bill looks an awful like the recent FAA ruling on the Warbirds - trying to deal with a specific NIMBY problem but impacting everything else.

Where is his staff? They're the ones who are supposed to be doing all the research and determining the implications of any proposed legislation.

What's concerning is all the non-elected interest groups, who actually write the draft bills and hand them to whoever submits them, just sit a computer all day writing every fairytale thing they want and saves it on their computer. I have no doubts that complete gun confiscation, air travel ban, petroleum powered vehicle ban, ____________ has already been written and is stored on a computer waiting to be tweaked and printed.
And the legislation is sent along with a large check.

Is skydiving covered under that deal, too?

The jump plane landing ($1,000), the half-dozen or more meat-bombs ($1000 each).

Yes, well, it's the Cape.

He backed down already and stated it was meant to start the conversation.

Imagine the poor SOB like me (working middle class bum) that lands in Mass. trying to get one more color on his flying map and being told to hand over $1,000. I would be washing dishes in the FBO I guess. Great way to increase the unemployment in Mass.

Well - don’t worry - AOPA is on the case now! They will soon be able to declare victory and then use that as an excuse that demonstrates their effectiveness to raise the dues - again.

Here’s the scenario. He “started the conversation” (aka bidding) @$1000 a landing. When it ends up a $5, $10, $25 or any amount per landing, he’ll be a hero to the tax collectors.

Cheers

Don't know what to say about this, other than it's crazy. Sure glad I live in AK were flying is still apricated as a means to support the community, live life to it's fullest and just get around..:rolleyes:

I knew my ancestors should never have sold the land that the state house is on to the government...

Back