1K Landing Fee proposed in MA

huh...

>>>
An airport commission governing a municipal or county owned airport or the board of directors of the Massachusetts port authority shall assess a climate impact landing fee of not less than one thousand dollars on personal aircraft, corporate owned aircraft and charter rental aircraft each time that any such an aircraft is to land at an airport in the commonwealth.
<<<

Looks like a lot of privately owned airports may put up big signs that say, "Parking $5".

Of course when Julian Cyr's jet lands the fee will be payed by the MA tax payers.

Of course when Julian Cyr's jet lands the fee will be paid by the MA tax payers.
The bill appears to exclude government aircraft.. So no fee for the Honorable Mr Cyr.
Very clever, half the money goes to the town or municipality, so they have an incentive to support it and half goes to a fund that does not yet exist to mitigate climate impact, so the other politicians like it as it becomes a slush fund for pet projects with the word climate in them.. Massachusetts isn't that big. When I go to visit my dad, New Hampshire or Rhode Island will work just fine..

They should make it apply to automobiles, too. They should make it a fuel tax, since the climate impact is proportional to the amount of fuel burned.

Who in their right mind would pay an additional $1k just to land. I feel like GA is going to die pretty fast over there with conditions like that. Except for those fast 8-digit price tag flyers.

The great news is - if they pass this, they won't need all those public airports anymore. They'll have to sell them and then they'll be private airports.
Nope....very expensive housing.

The real power in Massachusetts is in the house and governor's office.

Perhaps ask Mr. Cyr how much revenue will be lost when all the FBOs, flight schools, charter outfits, maintenance shops, etc., move out of state.

Something like this could easily pass in PRM. Just look at what massport did to fields like KBED. I learned to fly there back in the day and now I wouldn't land there if my engine was on fire.

Nope....very expensive housing.

Who wants to live in a place where the land is contaminated with so much lead? Every airport is practically a superfund site. The state should be required to decontaminate and then restore them to an undisturbed natural state before they are developed.

I spent about $12,000 learning to fly and made about 200 landings to earn my PPL. In Mr. Cyr's world, it would cost me over $200,000 to get my license.

Who wants to live in a place where the land is contaminated with so much lead? Every airport is practically a superfund site. The state should be required to decontaminate and then restore them to an undisturbed natural state before they are developed.

They didn't stop to think about that. Unintended consequences.

“ An airport commission governing a municipal or county owned airport or the board of directors of the Massachusetts port authority shall retain not less than 50 per cent of the proceeds from each climate impact landing fee received by such an entity. Not less that 50 per cent of the proceeds from each climate impact landing fee received by such an entity shall be deposited in the transportation infrastructure climate adaptation fund.”

“The fund shall be used by the Massachusetts department of transportation to invest in infrastructure owned by the commonwealth that requires repair and adaptation due to the effects of climate change.”

I wonder if they realize how much it costs ma$$port to collect landing fees.

"Aviation related" This guy represents Cape Cod and the Islands (Martha's Vineyard, Nantucket and the Elizabeth Islands). He might find that the virtue signalling, trust-fund children of his district find out the extra charge to land daddy's jet on Nantucket or the Vineyard is equal to the fuel cost, he might have some re-election challenges (@Tantalum, getting close?)

Some "legislator" from the People's Republic of MA introduced Bill S.2305 to levy a $1K landing fee on non-cargo, non-public aircraft landing at any municipal our county owned airport in MA. Can't have those personal aircraft people flying to the Cape and Islands.

https://malegislature.gov/Bills/192...IvU_6o7ZydFmE1Z2r7HKhHkS3sJmtU74I9-gfUAdDU6D4

Aside from the fact that this is going absolutely nowhere, it's in violation of federal grant assurances 5, 22, and 23. The bill places the onus on the airport sponsor to collect the fee, forcing them to violate their own federal obligations.

Do we know anyone capable of skywriting a big FU-> pointing towards Cyr’s house?

I'm wondering about the airlines landing at BOS. Will this jack up there fees? It says not less than a thousand dollars. Will there be a sliding scale due to size and/or weight of aircraft? I live in New Hampshire. Years ago I used to fly to BED go to the aero club and could walk over to the PX and Commissary. After 9-11 that place became ridiculous with their 'security procedures' I haven't been back since.

I'm wondering about the airlines landing at BOS. Will this jack up there fees? It says not less than a thousand dollars. Will there be a sliding scale due to size and/or weight of aircraft? I live in New Hampshire. Years ago I used to fly to BED go to the aero club and could walk over to the PX and Commissary. After 9-11 that place became ridiculous with their 'security procedures' I haven't been back since.
If you read the full link my understanding is that scheduled, commercial, pretty much everything but private airplane owners are exempt..

"Nothing in this section shall pertain to public aircraft, scheduled commercial passenger air transportation, freight or cargo aircraft. "

edit: oops - tantalum beat me to it...

Read it again. I missed that sentence the first time. Thank you.

Massachusetts has a group/groups of activists who want small airplanes banned from the skies. They don't have much support from the public from what I see, but they do have the ear of legislators. The group is pretty sophisticated, using flight aware to get registration numbers, altitudes and flight paths, plus some pretty good video equipment to match video to the airplanes. Some of these people are real whack a doodles, one lady claims she needs absolute silence so she can study.

In my area of the state they claim to have been complaining to the flight schools, although I don't think this is true. They are documenting just about every airplane that flies over their houses and attend every airport meeting to complain about noise. Most of it is baseless, but unfortunately they just got some video of a genius pilot flying over what is charted as a congested area doing figure 8s at about 300 feet agl (gps-flight aware). This BS gives them the credibility with the legislators who have figured out the FAA will do nothing about the legal flights. The legislators are apparently trying to backdoor planes out of the sky. And they just might succeed.

Massachusetts has a group/groups of activists who want small airplanes banned from the skies. They don't have much support from the public from what I see, but they do have the ear of legislators. The group is pretty sophisticated, using flight aware to get registration numbers, altitudes and flight paths, plus some pretty good video equipment to match video to the airplanes. Some of these people are real whack a doodles, one lady claims she needs absolute silence so she can study.
[snip]

A number of years ago I would attend ma$$port user meetings at KBED. It was interesting to see their body language and hear the tone of voice when they talked about the local communities anti-airport crowd and how they talked about the people who filed noise complaints. btw - one time a large aircraft was scheduled to arrive at KBED (iirc, a 707 airframe), and sure enough, there was at least one noise complaint filed right when the 707 was scheduled to arrive. Just one problem, the 707 never arrived.

We fly in to KHYA and have our plane blocked from tracking. BTW KHYA has the cameras on the airport and that's how they mail you the bill for the landing fee with a picture of your aircraft. We have a Challenger and have gotten pictures of Gulfstreams.

^take it as a compliment?

Trying to f*** the "rich people that own private planes" but exempt cargo and airliners. Just fly through the Logan bus station instead. And emboldened by the new regime in DC.

There is a reason I won't live in Mass., NY, CT, RI and NJ. New Hampshire is at least more reasonable.

They can improve the environment quickly by eliminating the hot air eminating from the state house.

Back