Early wide body 182 shimmy dampener options?

Johnbo

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Johnbo
In looking for shimmy dampener replacement options for a 182E it seems that neither the Lord option or the McFarlane option will fit. There is a compatibility gap with both of those companies as far as new shimmy dampeners are concerned with the 182E through 182J (1962 - 1966) where it seems there are no options.

Are there any other options available for the 182E?

thx

There is a kit to repair your original.
There are things so worn out that no kit will fix them. I suspect that's the case here. Shimmy dampers get some awesome workouts, and their mountings are light and get torn up. The mounting is also far off center to the shaft axis, putting a bending load on the shaft and radial wear on the cylinder and head bearing bores. Nothing lasts forever, not even the stuff on a mid-'60s 182. Doesn't matter how much you paid for the airplane.

What's needed is a slightly oversize and probably also slightly oblong bushing replacement for the shimmy damper-fuselage interface. PMA'd and STC'd of course:rolleyes:

There is a kit to repair your original.

Yes. all the o-rings were replaced a few weeks ago but it is leaking already. I’m hoping maybe one of them got damaged upon reassembly so I’ll give it one more chance but as others have noted it may simply be worn out.

Back