Well it finally happened- almost!

I think you are on the right track. I think there’s a danger in overbuying... my local mechanic told me when I was looking to buy a plane, “buy one you can afford not just buy but fly a lot. I’ve seen it a lot in my 40years here, guy gets “starter” plane and flies the wings off of it, then decides to upgrade... and with the increased cost and complexity flies less n less n less till I’m doing annuals with 8-12hrs...

Man, I've seen this story repeated sooooo many times. I think in Texas they call these types of airplane owners "Big Hat (airplane), No Cattle (gas money)".

Most pilots don’t need much in avionics in reality. A string on the windshield and ForeFlight and ya could cross the nation with little issue...

I bought a little Cessna 140 and maintain my membership in a 12 person club with a nice 180hp 172. I barely use the club plane as it’s just not as fun as my little vintage gal... that lil gal has hauled me all over across the US now...

So I’m not saying my exact set up is for everyone, but the concept is valid- don’t overbuy.

I'm thinking about stripping stuff out of the Husky to simplify it and lighten it up. It really should be a day VFR airplane.

Man, I've seen this story repeated sooooo many times. I think in Texas they call these types of airplane owners "Big Hat (airplane), No Cattle (gas money)".

I'm thinking about stripping stuff out of the Husky to simplify it and lighten it up. It really should be a day VFR airplane.

That would make sense in the Husky for sure. I just don’t “get it” when folks talk about fancy avionics for vfr... if you fly in the soup absolutely, gadget the thing up to do that voodoo magic flying. :) but vfr it’s all overkill. Iv told a few folks my c140 has way too many instruments, I really only need the oil pressure and engine temp gauge. :). Now that may be a bit hyperbolic but it could be done. I never turn on the t&b, vsi- do I really need to know if I’m climbing 300fpm vs 500? Altimeter if I’m not on a long cross country I’m never over 3000 agl, etc. I’ve yet to meet a soul that had a c140 and upgraded that doesn’t say “I miss that plane still - it was so fun to fly”. And I’m sure that’s applicable to many many other basic birds.

have fun lightening up the husky! :)

That would make sense in the Husky for sure. I just don’t “get it” when folks talk about fancy avionics for vfr... if you fly in the soup absolutely, gadget the thing up to do that voodoo magic flying. :) but vfr it’s all overkill. Iv told a few folks my c140 has way too many instruments, I really only need the oil pressure and engine temp gauge. :). Now that may be a bit hyperbolic but it could be done. I never turn on the t&b, vsi- do I really need to know if I’m climbing 300fpm vs 500? Altimeter if I’m not on a long cross country I’m never over 3000 agl, etc. I’ve yet to meet a soul that had a c140 and upgraded that doesn’t say “I miss that plane still - it was so fun to fly”. And I’m sure that’s applicable to many many other basic birds.

have fun lightening up the husky! :)
I feel like I'd be good with mostly basic avionics. Currently the planes I rent vary from nothing more than a standard 6 pack with an old set of radios and an inop GPS to a couple G5s and a Garmin 430 with Waas. Pretty sure I could do everything I need without the 430 but I do like the traffic callouts in my headset as I've learned ATC can get busy and I'm not a priority as a VFR pilot. As long as its IFR capable I'd consider it as a potential airplane to buy.

I feel like I'd be good with mostly basic avionics. Currently the planes I rent vary from nothing more than a standard 6 pack with an old set of radios and an inop GPS to a couple G5s and a Garmin 430 with Waas. Pretty sure I could do everything I need without the 430 but I do like the traffic callouts in my headset as I've learned ATC can get busy and I'm not a priority as a VFR pilot. As long as its IFR capable I'd consider it as a potential airplane to buy.

mskes sense. I have no IFR plans so idc myself. I do have adsb out via stratus esg transponder and then in via stratus 3i so ForeFlight gives me audio traffic alerts

Back