Passenger Misconduct

Palmpilot

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Richard Palm
It cost him 50 grand, in this case:

https://www.foxnews.com/travel/unit...ay-50g-hitting-flight-attendant-divert-alaska

A man from California has been ordered to pay nearly $50,000 in restitution after attacking a United Airlines flight attendant last February, and forcing the Tokyo-bound plane to divert to Alaska.

Seksan Kumtong, of North Hollywood, appeared in court earlier this week, where he was sentenced to five years’ probation and ordered to reimburse United Airlines for expenses incurred during the diversion, which included the costs of meals and lodging for the rest of the flight’s displaced passengers and crew — expenses that totaled $49,793.​

interesting that the article referenced "flight attendant" and "crew member" regarding the person who was struck. I'd like to know if it was a he or she flight attendant.

Why does it matter?
If you’re a dude getting pushed around I’ll cheer you on for a while before I help. If you a lady I’ll just help. If you’re a dude that looks like a lady or a lady that looks like a dude I would be confused at first but eventually help.

Wonder if he got on the no fly list.

Bad move for that California guy. Wonder what his problem was. Do the courts take payments or do you have to pay the fine in one lump sum?

Yes, interesting question what his issue was. Apparently was drunk and became belligerent when denied more alcohol.

No one was apparently hurt; however he did say he would kill the attendant. Since he grabbed the tie of the attendant, seems like attendant was likely male.

Restitution seems about right to me. I think he would have to pay United and probably could do a payment plan.

He hopefully also had a court ordered evaluation for alcoholism. Definitely meets some of the screening criteria!

If you’re a dude getting pushed around I’ll cheer you on for a while before I help. If you a lady I’ll just help. If you’re a dude that looks like a lady or a lady that looks like a dude I would be confused at first but eventually help.

Extra points for the Aerosmith reference.

I’m going to go out on a limb and suggest he may have difficulty starting an aviation career at this point.

If he’s got a lot of miles on United, he might as well use them for shopping or hotels. I don’t think United will want him on board again.

I visited the dentist the other day. The hygienist said they had an upcoming family get together in FL. She mentioned that her sister like to enjoy a little ‘mix’ in her Starbucks cup for the flight. I told her that was the way to go about it, low profile, no disturbance.

https://www.foxnews.com/travel/amer...tendant-garbage-dispute-report-new-york-miami

"American Airlines passenger attacks attendant: 'Cops aren't going to do anything to me' "

WRONG! :rolleyes:

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loc...light-for-not-picking-up-her-garbage/3033425/

"Woman Accused of Attacking Attendants on NYC Flight for Not Picking Up Her Garbage"

...The complaint filed in the Eastern District of New York claims Campbell followed a flight attendant down the aisle and began arguing with her after no one picked up her garbage. A second attendant intervened and attempted to physically separate the woman and the first attendant, according to the criminal complaint.

That intervention escalated Campbell's actions, and that's when she allegedly punched the second flight attendant and pulled her hair. She [briefly] walked away and yelled at another passenger, before returning to the second attendant to yell obscenities, the complaint said.

Amid her shouting, the court document says Campbell yelled, "Cops aren't going to do anything to me," and then struck the flight attendant again with closed fists.

An off-duty NYPD [officer] who was aboard the plane jumped in and placed Campbell in restraints for the remaining duration of the flight. She was taken off the plane and placed into police custody once it reached its final destination at JFK Airport.

The complaint states the injured flight attendant suffered several injuries -- including scrapes, bruises, and a strained neck -- but declined medical attention....​

Bad move for that California guy. Wonder what his problem was. Do the courts take payments or do you have to pay the fine in one lump sum?

I guess the court takes payment, but....

Early last year before the market took off we were looking at the worst house in the best neighborhood. And trust me,it was the worst. It was going to be a 'down to the bare walls" project, but that is not what scared us. There were a boatload of liens against it from the city (code violation fines), county (fire department usage fine/violation - weird/tax lien), and California Superior Court (restitution judgment) that needed to be satisfied when the deed transferred. What it boiled down to was we were going to own the house for a year before we could even think about doing anything to it while all the paperwork worked through the system.

The county lien was the easiest... the Superior Court, little tricky, but the escrow officer I worked with knew someone who knew someone on how this worked and how to navigate through... no, it is not that easy, and of course that was an extra $1,000.00. the city was the problem... for Pete's sake, I needed a permit for the permit that was never a permit because there was a permit that superseded that permit that was never paid for because the permit for that expired and on and on and on..

We will continue to see more and more unruly passengers as general levels of despair continue to climb. Same reason we have a heroin epidemic.

I just heard on NPR these incidents are statistically on the rise and slack will not be cut

Expectation of entitlement rising would probably be a better explanation

I don’t think anyone thinks they are “entitled” to behave poorly, unless you are referring to all of the people who seem to think they can refuse to wear a mask and not get kicked off the plane.

(Which has been the vast majority of aerial events these days)

opinions differ

Pilot says unruly passenger behavior is a threat to all flyers, calls for tougher legal action

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/02/unruly-passenger-behavior-is-a-threat-to-all-flyers-says-pilot.html

Excerpt:

An American Airlines pilot and union official told CNBC on Friday that on-board passenger disturbances do not go unnoticed in the cockpit and called for the U.S. government to take further action to deter incidents from happening.

“When I hear that one of my flight attendants has been assaulted or another passenger, I’m up there flying the aircraft 35,000 feet near the speed of sound, that’s a distraction,” Dennis Tajer said on “Squawk Box.”

“That’s a threat to everybody else on the aircraft. ... We can’t just pull the plane over and say, ‘All right, get out,’” added Tajer, who serves as a spokesman for the Allied Pilots Association, which represents 15,000 pilots working for American Airlines.

Reports of unruly behavior from airplane passengers have soared this year, such as a flyer allegedly assaulting a Southwest Airlines flight attendant in late May.

The Federal Aviation Administration said June 22 it has received about 3,100 reports of unruly behavior since Jan. 1, with 2,350 reports of passengers refusing to obey the federal Covid mask mandate. The policy is in place until Sept. 14, and the FAA plans to enforce its zero-tolerance policy for passenger disturbances as long as the mandate remains.

This year alone, the FAA has proposed more than $560,000 in overall fines against airline passengers who refused flight attendants’ directions to comply with cabin crew and federal regulations. Passengers have 30 days to contest the fines.​

Maybe try something like this...

HcNQiDl.jpeg

Back