Bennington, VT (KDDH) - Any atypical hazardous? Tips?

MJR Pilot

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
MJR Pilot
Planning to fly into Bennington VT (KDDH) in the next week or two. Have never flown in here before. For anyone familiar with the airport, are there any unique hazards or warnings/tips you would give? Am mostly focused on anything related to the surrounding terrain and how that may impact departure or approach. A/FD mentions "mountains all quadrants", and there does appear to be close-in rising terrain all around the field. Is this terrain so close that it requires anything unique on departure? Early turn, or maybe even VCOA? There is only one approach (RNAV 13) - I was reviewing Doug Stewart Flight Instruction and they referred to this as "one of the most challenging approaches in New England." Can anyone who's flown it shed light as to why this is? I know it could be an exaggeration to sell flight lessons. Just want to make sure I'm gathering as much info as possible and not getting in over my head attempting to fly in here. I'm going to call the FBO tomorrow to find some local knowledge, but thought I'd ask here as well. Much appreciated as always.

I don’t know anything about the airport but the takeoff minimums and ODP are a fun read.

I bet it’s pretty there.

This, read and follow the odp if not vfr, pay attention to climb gradients. I haven't been there, but I think I'm going to add it to my list.

Mountains create their own weather. This is Franconia, NH last labor day.

dUnn3QnzWlem7nMCRGyPUvjFt-sFLkeMcMHlDNDpV7JSJSAzA73VT8L7aoByfMCFKLP406AqPhRxzABvRY9g65_osWzwg7iKwmexdoMNL8OfKPT5Lo8CyyiYTLZl2wANfmSCGgVEDIthWv5tXTqgz5r3ofZj7RssDLPlUxRGTMIzcEBxyPetMwEv4AbA-jAPwQjdLrOrI8Mv1D8lkffQa9WYhlZe1jVF7p9lYoV3YTszdtm5MYF8qH-1SRqV2azQ_qrYA6PjfeZCd8QQdXzMPwzRjjLtVEDh_fqb0yxNoGxHdb_SOsautkUw0O9RnYKDgZcfmwiXpA_K6Pp0uLZW7DQVZTL3ZeNcVjJVVanBMSGO968ZlvNs4bQoNBC8HhyDRk6ZJcHKL0QFFNt48fjTzgtN1vsSdaN41nzFcZkdxFn4MxuB3LLI81Ua47gWdOjVinqcYxxjweieZC7-h1FXhuq7K0rbdOfXZBMQCNF4LnhDSacoZU-havRKdeTY9XeSoN53LTAO35_IKcBMzI4EaBrCtxHLwISW6pSVyCwljx1w4sMCSrwXaG5dhkDIYL0D-AlnKyCFf34WEwF0Fu2VJxQWcZO32MALl7HBuINDmKHM5IAXv1N4l3jTsnacJePCE2cZBz3TI-s2zQeKqbezdqalUdm8IwXKeUjyXYR1Kg6zfeqvLc84uCBKq28IZSU-0RhAh1330mMIrhqNJ7wmCY88RQ=w1252-h939-no

1. Be very polite. Everybody in Vermont has a gun.
2. There are only 2 paved roads in the state. You won't be near any of them. (OK, that's a slight exaggeration)
3. When you are stuck behind a car doing 15 miles an hour for what seems like hours, remember point #1.

Thanks everyone. Yes, have studied the takeoff mins and ODP and will plan to fly the ODP just to be on the safe side. Appreciate the responses.

I've flown there a couple of times...most recently last week. I've only flown it VFR so can't help with the RNAV. 13 is preferred but every time I've been there the wind has favored 31. Right traffic for 31. I fly a 172 and I turn base before the monument. This makes it a little bit of a short approach. How short depends on how close you want to get to the monument. The airport is tucked in on the north side of a hill and hard to see until you're on top of it coming from the south. Runway was repaved a year or so ago. Good FBO.

I've flown there a couple of times...most recently last week. I've only flown it VFR so can't help with the RNAV. 13 is preferred but every time I've been there the wind has favored 31. Right traffic for 31. I fly a 172 and I turn base before the monument. This makes it a little bit of a short approach. How short depends on how close you want to get to the monument. The airport is tucked in on the north side of a hill and hard to see until you're on top of it coming from the south. Runway was repaved a year or so ago. Good FBO.
Thanks Tim - very helpful. What pattern altitude do you use? 1,800? A/FD is silent on this. I know the monument is at 1,200. On departure from 31 in VFR conditions, does the rising terrain off the departure end really come into play? Just trying to figure out how much of a factor that is on departure. The takeoff mins mention a VCOA procedure but am curious if VCOA is really needed or if a typical straight out departure will suffice with a decent climb rate.

My great great great great great grandfather was born just north of there. That's all I've got. Been there by car. Would like to go by plane.

I use Pattern Altitude of 1800. Departing 31 VFR, I have never been concerned about terrain. I've always been able to climb over it at Vy without a problem. A slight turn to the NW offers even lower terrain. There are some youtube videos of landing on 31 that show the terrain to the west. I've never departed 13 but that could be a little more exciting.

I use Pattern Altitude of 1800. Departing 31 VFR, I have never been concerned about terrain. I've always been able to climb over it at Vy without a problem. A slight turn to the NW offers even lower terrain. There are some youtube videos of landing on 31 that show the terrain to the west. I've never departed 13 but that could be a little more exciting.
Thanks again - this is much appreciated.

Too long ago to be helpful. My first stop on my first student solo cross country.

Vermont is a great state. Very friendly people, and the dirt roads are better maintained than many paved roads in other states. You can cruise quite nicely and quickly on them. Guns? Whatever, focus on what you want to focus on, but its great state.

I grew up (flying) in that area. Pretty mountains. So what? I would plan my first arrival to be in VMC. You will see why. Some years ago, A Lear started an approach and wasn't found until the next spring, sprawled on the side of Moose Mtn. One of the last DC-3 airlines (Northeast) flew in regularly. Buy some maple syrup when you get there.

Lesson is that talking about politics on POA is not allowed, unless it is pro-gun.

And not everything non-airplane is politics. Rational discussions about social and medical issues can easily be non-political and pilots (being smarter than the average bear :D ) tend to be able to use their words in useful ways to share ideas without resorting to flinging political monkey poo.

I flew into DDH a long time ago in a 172 and I don't recall being concerned with terrain. If you're VFR/VMC, just don't hit anything and you'll be fine. IFR/IMC, study and follow all the approaches and DP's, and you'll be fine.

There was an AirNow airplane that bonked into a mountain when he got mixed up doing the VOR-A approach several years back. I would suggest not doing the same.

[QUOTE="Groundpounder, post: There was an AirNow airplane that bonked into a mountain when he got mixed up doing the VOR-A approach several years back. I would suggest not doing the same.[/QUOTE]
That's the one that I referenced. It was before GPS and there was a VOR on top of Moose Mtn. Its about five or ten miles SE of the field. The Lear was doing the VOR-A procedure to 31 and just fell off the world. The search wasn't abandon for months. The wreck was sighted almost a year later.

I flew into DDH a long time ago in a 172 and I don't recall being concerned with terrain. If you're VFR/VMC, just don't hit anything and you'll be fine. IFR/IMC, study and follow all the approaches and DP's, and you'll be fine.

There was an AirNow airplane that bonked into a mountain when he got mixed up doing the VOR-A approach several years back. I would suggest not doing the same.

I think someone flew into a hill taking off within the last 10 years in VT too, can't mess around.

That's the one that I referenced. It was before GPS and there was a VOR on top of Moose Mtn. Its about five or ten miles SE of the field. The Lear was doing the VOR-A procedure to 31 and just fell off the world. The search wasn't abandon for months. The wreck was sighted almost a year later.

You're confusing the Lear crash at LEB with the E110 crash at DDH.

Back