flashlights for cockpit

JOhnH

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Right Seater
I bought a mini (4") LED LENSER dual color flashlight about 13 years ago and it has given great service, even though I rarely use it. I test it about once a year just in case, and up until last year it was fine. Last year it was dim so I changed the batteries. In the process I noticed some corrosion around the contacts so I cleaned it up as much as possible. Today, one year later it is dim again and new batteries aren't helping. There was a slight amount of corrosion, but not bad.

In the meantime, I have probably purchased a dozen or more small LED flashlights that never lasted more than a few months.

Do you have a small hand-held flashlight you like for use in the cockpit.

I bought a mini (4") LED LENSER dual color flashlight about 13 years ago and it has given great service, even though I rarely use it. I test it about once a year just in case, and up until last year it was fine. Last year it was dim so I changed the batteries. In the process I noticed some corrosion around the contacts so I cleaned it up as much as possible. Today, one year later it is dim again and new batteries aren't helping. There was a slight amount of corrosion, but not bad.

In the meantime, I have probably purchased a dozen or more small LED flashlights that never lasted more than a few months.

Do you have a small hand-held flashlight you like for use in the cockpit.

I have one of these. I like it. No problems for about 5 years or so.
https://www.pilotoutfitters.com/smith-wesson-galaxy-28-led-flashlight.html

... Do you have a small hand-held flashlight you like for use in the cockpit.
Yes. I like the single-AA Fenix E12 and the brighter two-AA Streamlight 88033. Both are light, compact, and amenable to adding a lanyard. I avoid oddball batteries as a matter of policy. You can get AAs easily anywhere in the world. The oddballs? Not so much.

One dark night I landed with an inop landing light. I have practiced this and it is no big deal. But .. the unlighted taxiways were another matter with my cockpit mouse lights. From that I learned to carry a much brighter light that I can stick out the pilot-side window to navigate along the edge of the taxiway.

I just use my phone. Always has been bright enough for me.

This streamlight rides in my pocket at all times and gets used every day. I've had this one a couple years, and the one I had before this one was the same model, it was even more beat up and I carried that one every day for about 7 years. I only replaced it because I lost it, not because it quit working. This one takes 2 AAAs and has 2 brightness modes and strobe. They make a smaller single AAA version of it and they make a model called the stylus that takes either 1 or 2 batteries and are slimmer but they only have one mode.
I have never had any trouble with any of the streamlights.

Attachments

• PXL_20210502_224126551.jpg
    PXL_20210502_224126551.jpg
    426.9 KB · Views: 29
This streamlight rides in my pocket at all times and gets used every day. I've had this one a couple years, and the one I had before this one was the same model, it was even more beat up and I carried that one every day for about 7 years. I only replaced it because I lost it, not because it quit working. This one takes 2 AAAs and has 2 brightness modes and strobe. They make a smaller single AAA version of it and they make a model called the stylus that takes either 1 or 2 batteries and are slimmer but they only have one mode.
I have never had any trouble with any of the streamlights.

I carry the same one 7 days a week as well. I’m on #4, although I’ve only worn out two of the previous ones (the last one was borrowed and never returned). They’re great flashlights and I wouldn’t want to be without mine.

I've been using the same mini maglight for 20 years now. I made a red lens for it from an old model A tail light lens.

What flavors do they come in?

Nauga,
and those that will

I usually wear a ballcap when flying, so I have an LED light that clips on my cap visor as a backup for cockpit lighting. Has red and white output. I also carry an LED penlight for inspections.

Price is so cheap that they are all basically disposable these days. Any corrosion at all, just toss it. Exceptions would be maglight and surefire.

I don't use handheld lights in the cockpit for night flying, I use either a headlamp or a cap visor clip light for supplemental cockpit lighting. preflight. Normall use the cap lights. I carry two cap visor lights, so if the coin batteries fail, I've got another at the ready. Headlamps and clip lights come with red/white multiple intensity LEDs, and will last a long time on lithium batteries without risk of corrosion. I do have a small red/white LED hand light for night preflights.

Did they get rid of the FAR that required a two D-battery flashlight?

Fenix E35UE

Stays in my flight bag. Every once in a while, pull the battery out and recharge it while at home, and then back it goes into the flight bag.

I don't use handheld lights in the cockpit for night flying, I use either a headlamp or a cap visor clip light for supplemental cockpit lighting. preflight. Normall use the cap lights. I carry two cap visor lights, so if the coin batteries fail, I've got another at the ready. Headlamps and clip lights come with red/white multiple intensity LEDs, and will last a long time on lithium batteries without risk of corrosion. I do have a small red/white LED hand light for night preflights.
I don't use the flashlight or the headlamp, they are there for backups.

My Cub has steel tubes so I use a magnetic flex light. I also carry a Petzl E+Lite, which has a selectable clear or red lens. But it rarely gets dark in Alaska summer and I don’t do much winter flying anymore. For other tasks in the dark of winter I have an assortment of headlamps but more often I end up wearing a small Pelican light as a necklace. I probably have 10 of these hanging around where I can grab one quickly. And it’s plastic, so I can hold it in my teeth on a cold night.

Attachments

• B594F749-D0F7-495A-AB21-14844FA99CD3.jpeg
    B594F749-D0F7-495A-AB21-14844FA99CD3.jpeg
    169.2 KB · Views: 11
  • 54A1C32E-FDDC-4A4A-A533-33E475A72377.jpeg
    54A1C32E-FDDC-4A4A-A533-33E475A72377.jpeg
    198.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 9ECB04D2-22E8-45F4-8C93-EA27794BCBF4.jpeg
    9ECB04D2-22E8-45F4-8C93-EA27794BCBF4.jpeg
    124.9 KB · Views: 10
Whatsa key lock?

A few years back, S&W incorporated a locking mechanism into their revolvers. The keyhole can be seen right above the cylinder latch. It adds a failure point, allows moisture to get into the trigger mechanism, makes the gun ugly, it's used by no one (that's what safes are for, whether a big ol' gunsafe, or a small biometric gun locker) and it caused a spike in prices for 'pre-lock' revolvers.

164222-sw-OnWhite-3Q-Left_0.png

I emailed Ledlenser support a description of my problem and asked if I should buy a new battery case, or just buy a new flashlight. This flashlight was around $40 13 years ago, and I told him I failed to remove the batteries last time I put it away, which caused the corrosion. They replied that they will send me a new battery case.

My cockpit is ridiculously dark. I bought a rechargeable LED headlamp. Improved my night landings considerably.

My cockpit is ridiculously dark. I bought a rechargeable LED headlamp. Improved my night landings considerably.

Expound on how lights inside the cockpit make night landings better. I am not looking inside the cockpit while trying to land. Unless I'm missing something?

Expound on how lights inside the cockpit make night landings better. I am not looking inside the cockpit while trying to land. Unless I'm missing something?
I was thinking the same thing. Seems to me that a light inside the cockpit would make seeing outside the cockpit harder.

I was thinking the same thing. Seems to me that a light inside the cockpit would make seeing outside the cockpit harder.
I think he does better when he’s not looking.

I usually wear a ballcap when flying, so I have an LED light that clips on my cap visor as a backup for cockpit lighting. Has red and white output. I also carry an LED penlight for inspections.

I've got a visor light that only has red LEDs. I like that, as it means I can't possibly click the switch the wrong direction and ruin my night vision with white light.

I bought a half dozen of these Blocklite SW805 LED lights a year or two ago. One is in the armrest compartment in the plane, one in my car's glove box, one in my bedside night stand, one I take on my after dark dog walks so I can see his "deposits" to pick up, etc. The body is a standard 9 volt battery and the six LEDs are in a small unit that just snaps onto the battery terminals. A three position slide switch lights 2 LEDs, OFF, and all 6 LEDs. They're stone simple and the 9 v batteries seem to last forever. In the 2 LED position, the light is dim enough that even though it's white, it doesn't affect my night vision.
Blocklite Compact LED Flashlight.jpg

I like the Blocklite concept, but they're just not bright enough for my general use. I don't fly at night (never enjoyed it, even in training), so don't need night-vision preservation.

These, https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06VSK99MC/and other such clones are my go-to, small, stash-away flashlight. One AA battery, and pretty darn bright. I have them stashed all over and they make a nice little gift.

I'd love to see a Blocklite of similar brilliance.

In a complex aircraft you set both prop RPM and manifold pressure. Without the headlamp the tachometer is invisible, clear across the cockpit. Not one of Mooneys better ideas. It is also nice to know your airspeed when you're at low altitude and energy. Again, very hard to see without light. Everyone I know who flies at night has some sort of lighting system, except maybe Ed, who obviously doesn't need an airplane. All he needs is a cape.

I never use a flashlight in my Mooney and can see the tach just fine. I’m Super human too I guess. Or I’m just capable of pointing the bullet light that Mooney installed at the factory at the gauge.

Last edited:
In a complex aircraft you set both prop RPM and manifold pressure. Without the headlamp the tachometer is invisible, clear across the cockpit. Not one of Mooneys better ideas. It is also nice to know your airspeed when you're at low altitude and energy. Again, very hard to see without light. Everyone I know who flies at night has some sort of lighting system, except maybe Ed, who obviously doesn't need an airplane. All he needs is a cape.

In all the planes I've flown at night, the analog gauges have/had instrument lighting. The digital gauges/instruments in the Comanche (G5/MVP-50) are electronic screens and are also lit up. Both setups negated the need for a flashlight. Didn't know that Mooney didn't put any instrument lighting in their aircraft. Like you said, very dumb idea on their part. No need for a cape, just fly airplanes with sufficient cockpit lighting.

In all the planes I've flown at night, the analog gauges have/had instrument lighting. The digital gauges/instruments in the Comanche (G5/MVP-50) are electronic screens and are also lit up. Both setups negated the need for a flashlight. Didn't know that Mooney didn't put any instrument lighting in their aircraft. Like you said, very dumb idea on their part. No need for a cape, just fly airplanes with sufficient cockpit lighting.
Do you have an essential buss and separate battery for critical instruments and lighting? Maybe you haven't had an electrical system failure, but I have; it was night time and it wasn't fun. Fortunately I had a small flashlight handy.

In all the planes I've flown at night, the analog gauges have/had instrument lighting.
All Mooneys came with were torpedo lights for the panel which are closer to useless than not. Putting in post lights or anything else it expensive. A headlamp is cheap and works great.

Do you have an essential buss and separate battery for critical instruments and lighting? Maybe you haven't had an electrical system failure, but I have; it was night time and it wasn't fun. Fortunately I had a small flashlight handy.

G5's have their own battery backups, so I have all the flight info in one spot. MP and RPM aren't that critical if the MVP 50 (or instrument lights) screen goes black. They aren't even that important during the day time. I fly by airspeed and sight picture. If either of those look wrong, add or reduce power or trim as necessary. I do carry a flashlight, but that's more so I can write down or read a written down clearance.

All Mooneys came with were torpedo lights for the panel which are closer to useless than not. Putting in post lights or anything else it expensive. A headlamp is cheap and works great.
Speak for yourself. They work fine for me.

+1 on Smith & Wesson flashlight. Had mine dropped, kicked, left in freezing cold for 1 week...7 years later still works like a champ.

Speak for yourself. They work fine for me.
You can apply to be Batman. Everyone else I know who flies a vintage Mooney does something to accommodate night flight. One fellow kludged in LEDs into the torpedo tubes. Looks like it worked well.

Back