Do I need a Sentry/Scout if I have an iPad/Foreflight and the A/C has ADS-B out?

Rooster T

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
BT
I've googled but can't find the exact answer to what is I'm sure a simple question for most. I've just started flying again (C172 and PA-28) after a few years. I believe/assume all the rental aircraft have ADS-B out since we have a lot of B/C airspace around here (Seattle) and most of the A/C are IFR approved. I bought a new iPad Mini (wifi/cell). Is there some additional advantage to having a portable ADS-B receiver like a Sentry?

Thanks

BT

Yes, the addition of an ADS-B receiver will give you inflight traffic and weather.

Thanks. That's what has confused me, because even on the ground I can see live traffic on the ipad. Perhaps I'm not seeing ALL the traffic?

If your iPad is connected to the internet (Cell or WiFi) when you are on the ground, you'll see traffic and weather. That won't work reliably in the air, hence the Sentry need. Exception would be if the aircraft avionics provides an ADSB in via bluetooth, then you don't need Sentry or equivalent.

If your iPad is connected to the internet (Cell or WiFi) when you are on the ground, you'll see traffic and weather. That won't work reliably in the air, hence the Sentry need. Exception would be if the aircraft avionics provides an ADSB in via bluetooth, then you don't need Sentry or equivalent.

That's the final piece of the puzzle! Thanks everyone!

BT

Thanks. That's what has confused me, because even on the ground I can see live traffic on the ipad. Perhaps I'm not seeing ALL the traffic?

When you’re seeing it on the ground it is most likely labeled internet traffic. Once in the air you will need IN to see that traffic. A Stratux is the most economical way or you can spend a lot more for a Stratus to do the same thing.

When you’re seeing it on the ground it is most likely labeled internet traffic. Once in the air you will need IN to see that traffic. A Stratux is the most economical way or you can spend a lot more for a Stratus to do the same thing.

Had not heard of the Stratux. Thanks!

Sentry (and the other similar devices) will act as a backup AHRS, and high resolution GPS too, in addition to ADS-B. The GPS on your iPad will be meh/ok, but having WAAS accuracy makes the track logs really pretty later :)

Stratux is $165 on Amazon if you’re willing to build it. It’s pretty easy to do and a great value. ADS-B and GPS work perfectly. AHRS needs some finessing to be useful.

Also sentry has CO detector. So:
-ADS-B in (traffic, wx)
-WAAS GPS
-AHRS
-(for sentry) carbon monoxide detection

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
<snip/>
AHRS needs some finessing to be useful.
<snip />

Any suggestions on fiddling with the AHRS? My Stratux is always need to have drift set and reset while in straight and level flight.

Any suggestions on fiddling with the AHRS? My Stratux is always need to have drift set and reset while in straight and level flight.

I took mine apart and reseated it. Then I’ve found it has to be mounted exactly parallel to the airframe, so like on the driver or passenger window instead of in the back (in my C150). Then you gotta calibrate it on the ground via the web interface, then reset the AHRS in Foreflight - sometimes more than once. It’s annoying and if the plane at the club i just joined didn’t have a garmin GTN650 with wifi I’d probably replace it with a sentry. I really want that AHRS data for cloud ahoy. I’d hate to get stuck in the soup and have to rely on it (“backup AHRS”... Hrmm.)

If you are seeing traffic on your iPad mini, it could be internet traffic like others have said, but it could also be that you are pinging off other aircraft's "pucks." If that is the case, it probably won't be very reliable. You may want to go the Stratux route and carry it with you.

All planes need ADBS Out. Not all are ADBB In.

If your rental has a transponder like a Stratus or Garmin 345, it provides ADSB IN and you link your I Pad to the transponder and see weather, traffic, ect.

If your rental has an ADSB OUT only transponder or if it has an ADSB Tail Beacon, then you need a Scout or Sentry to give you the ADSB IN that can then link to your I Pad.

All planes need ADBS Out.

Not true.

I think what you mean is that "ADS-B OUT is what's required where ADS-B is required. ADS-B IN is never required."

But there are many areas of the country where many people will keep flying perfectly happily and legally without ADS-B OUT.

I stand corrected.

Almost all planes need and have ADSB out. There are a few quaint old timey planes flown by Amish pilots who don’t have ADSB.

But for the OP - his planes probably will. And might or might not have ADSB In. And hence might or might not need a Scout or Sentry.

Another ADSB IN unit to consider is the Garmin GDL 52 which will bring XM weather and music in to your cockpit.

would a sentry + ipad/foreflight combination be a useable ifr emergency backup for experimental planes? ie would the waas gps vnav be accurate enough?

You wouldn’t want to fly an approach to minimums using only ForeFlight but if the ceiling wasn’t too low you could probably do better than guessing…

ok thanks! It would be only in the scenario where everything else failed ofcourse

75% of the helicopters I fly don’t have ADSB in, 25% have brand new panels, even flying in busy areas I don’t really miss not knowing where every plane in the sky is when I’m in our older ships, helicopters do fly much more visually eyes outside by nature it seems however.

The few times I spend the money to take my girlfriend or friends up in a R22, let alone spending twice that for a 44, ADSB or not is not really that much of a concern.

would a sentry + ipad/foreflight combination be a useable ifr emergency backup for experimental planes? ie would the waas gps vnav be accurate enough?

If your alternative airport options were also requiring a GPS related approach and had no other options (not VFR, no VOR, ILS, etc.), and you had to get down, yes - it's better than CFIT as Andy pointed out.

If some can confirm: I have an Ipad mini and when I'm in the plane I get all traffic,etc from my Lynx NGT-9000 ADSB. So i dont need a Sentry portable or equivalent correct?

I stand corrected.

Almost all planes need and have ADSB out. There are a few quaint old timey planes flown by Amish pilots who don’t have ADSB.

But for the OP - his planes probably will. And might or might not have ADSB In. And hence might or might not need a Scout or Sentry.

If you aren’t flying in airspace where adsb is required, you can have a brand new cirrus not having adsb out.

If you aren’t flying in airspace where adsb is required, you can have a brand new cirrus not having adsb out.

Technically true. I guess you could buy a Cirrus and never fly it above 10,000, and/or anywhere within a Mode C veil, and/or any C airspace.

You could just sit in the cockpit with a tin foil hat on so the ADSB surveillance beams don't read your mind. :)

The point is - almost all aircraft are going to have it these days.

If some can confirm: I have an Ipad mini and when I'm in the plane I get all traffic,etc from my Lynx NGT-9000 ADSB. So i dont need a Sentry portable or equivalent correct?
You'd have to confirm that it is compatible with whatever app you use on the iPad, unless you don't mind getting reading everything off the Lynx screens.

Good question. What app are you using? ForeFlight?

Back