Presidential TFR

Kelvin

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
KTD
There does not appear to be a TFR for either President Obama or President Trump anywhere that I can see...

I see one for W the Dallas area.

Am I missing something?

Yup…. We are just waiting out the clock on this one…

Fortunately, it tops out at a low altitude, but sits in the “at the surface” for the DFW Bravo

08F6852C-D7B7-4021-AC84-08B32908A670.jpeg

That is curious one has it but not the others.

The main Obama residence wouldn’t benefit from a TFR because it is located in Washington DC, within the FRZ, and the FRZ is bigger and more restrictive to aviation than a small TFR like the one for W.

Curious, though, that among other former presidents one has a TFR at their residence and the others don’t. I’m actually unsure what real benefit is provided by a small TFR anyway.

During a recent safety seminar for northeast, there was an interesting, but inconclusive discussion regarding variations how, where and when airspace restrictions are implemented for former presidents.
It appears that restrictions for former presidents are implemented IF requested. (which Clintons and Carters declined)
- The approx 4-year TFR for mid-town Manhattan (Trump Tower), went away when the valid period lapsed.
- Whereas charted, such as P-67 southeast of Kennebunk, has not been removed subsequent to H.W.'s passing.
[Theories included: because the original requester (DoD, etc.) has not submitted an updated request to remove it.]

p.s. NJ/NY participants in the seminar all agreed; it will be a relief not to see the Bedminster TFRs over northern NJ this summer :)

Last edited:
I've been wondering about this for a while. I've always assumed that the former presidents who did not request a TFR therefore don't have them. It makes me wonder why none of them other than Bush requested it though.

I've been wondering about this for a while. I've always assumed that the former presidents who did not request a TFR therefore don't have them. It makes me wonder why none of them other than Bush requested it though.

The Clintons requested a TFR for their Chappaqua home, and didn't get it. It would have effectively closed the main runway at KHPN. I can't find a link now, but as I recall it was discussed on the Red Board at the time.

The main Obama residence wouldn’t benefit from a TFR because it is located in Washington DC, within the FRZ, and the FRZ is bigger and more restrictive to aviation than a small TFR like the one for W.

Curious, though, that among other former presidents one has a TFR at their residence and the others don’t. I’m actually unsure what real benefit is provided by a small TFR anyway.
Ha. There is no benefit to any TFR. Unless you want to harm the person protected by the TFR. Then it might be helpful.

Yup…. We are just waiting out the clock on this one…

Fortunately, it tops out at a low altitude, but sits in the “at the surface” for the DFW Bravo

View attachment 95989
Because it's in the B and right by ADS is why it's still a TFR and not a P. Although as far as I can tell, in practice it only affects drone ops.
Look for Ps for the other ex presidents.

Back