Best ipad configuration / size for cockpit??

john745

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
john745
I've got a beautiful (couple year old) 12.9 in iPad which works fantastic for non cockpit activities.

I'm looking at getting a new iPad for foreflight.
I thought that the 12.9 inch would just be too big.
Should I consider getting the iPad mini?
Or should I be getting the normal iPad size?

I don't mind spending a little extra money to get a new iPad but I'm not a huge fan of the idea of having multiple ipads in my life. Don't we all have enough electronics? Maybe I'll just get me the new 12.9inch which is described as 25% smaller?

(Still working on my private pilot license very early in the game hence the request for advice rather than just flying around with it myself)

Anyways, the real question is... What do you use for foreflight? Do you like the size for in cockpit activities?

I use a standard sized iPad Air with the internal GPS for Foreflight, and keep all my other aviation related things on it. It does not get used for anything else.

I like the extra screen size over the Mini (at my age).

Its all about where you want to put it. In my 180 I used velcro and put my Mini right over my Aera. The Aera remains auto-on and off so is a fully functional backup.

Attachments

• 83618C33-20C7-4C2A-8AD6-9EE5F3432E82.jpeg
    83618C33-20C7-4C2A-8AD6-9EE5F3432E82.jpeg
    213.5 KB · Views: 42
  • 9941FAFE-5552-4EE7-9E15-4F7A4D468F3D.jpeg
    9941FAFE-5552-4EE7-9E15-4F7A4D468F3D.jpeg
    98.6 KB · Views: 41
I like the large one, but most everyone I know thinks it’s too big. I sometimes split the screen with the Synthetic Vision on the left, so the extra area is welcome.

You will be the one using it. If you feel good with the mini in your hands then that’s what you should get.

Fantastic. Excellent feedback.
Gives me much to think about.
Like many of you, I like to make one purchase and be happy about it.

I downsized and now use my iPhone (Max):
ec3701e7dcb8e481f8a25b5433c55288.jpg

I use full size iPad for planning purposes.

Last edited:
Fantastic. Excellent feedback.
Gives me much to think about.
Like many of you, I like to make one purchase and be happy about it.

Not only that, but researching and deciding on what you will buy is half the fun.

If you have young eyes, you could probably get by with something like an Iphone 10 or 12. I can use my iPhone 6 in a pinch (like when I forget the iPad), but mostly use an iPad Mini 4. I don't have cellular on the Mini 4, but our airplane has ADS-B Out via a Garmin transponder and ADS-B In via a Garmin GDL 39. You could probably use the 12.9 inch iPad if it will run Foreflight for you.

The mini is a great size. The RAM x-mount clamped to the yoke puts it right in your scan and the screen is almost exactly the same size as printed approach plates. I occasionally wish for a bigger screen, but even in the pa32 there's just no place for it besides your lap, and I don't want to have to look down in imc.

Be sure and attach it to something. Dropping a tablet right when you need it is a great way to produce an unusual attitude.

I have an iPad mini, and it works great in both the Bonanza, which has a somewhat narrow cockpit, and the Challenger, which has a cockpit big enough to play rugby in. I tried using a "regular" size iPad in the Bo, and I found it to be too big. Probably would have been fine for the Challenger though.

Lots of opinions - just use the one that works the best for you.

M2C - I have a 9.7 inch I Pad Pro. I use bifocals, of "that age", etc. I find the 9.7 is too large in the cockpit, and if I had to do it again I'd get the mini size.

Now, if you want another 100 posts, ask if you should get one with the built in GPS or WiFi Only-non GPS version.

Back