"NO ADS-B OUT" Question

Rob Caldwell

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Rob
Thought we would try this question with such a large audience...

The equipment:

Avidyne IFD-540
Dynon SV-XPNDR-261
Dynon SV-ADSB-472
Dynon SV-HDX-1100/B
Dynon SV-GPS-250A

In the attached picture, you can see the message "NO ADS-B OUT: GPS LOST"

We need the GPS signal from the IFD-540 WAAS Navigator to the SV-XPNDR-261. We have confirmed the GPS signal for the IFD-540 is working in all other aspects.

A multimeter confirms the GPS signal from the IFD-540 is pulsing at Pin 3 on the cable into the SV-XPNDR-261.

The 2nd picture here shows NO GPS DATA in the HDX under transponder settings.

The 3rd picture here shows NO ADSB POS in the HDX under transponder settings.

At this point, we are stuck. If I switch over to SV-GPS-250A, ADS-B OUT works. But we cannot use the SV-GPS-250A for ADS-B OUT.

Any thoughts? We are at a loss...

Thanks!

8557b8dd-9e02-42e5-8c07-1dd39108248a_1_105_c-jpeg.4568

ef8f0eda-9d5d-4ef9-9843-eb79c45ae3d3_1_105_c-jpeg.4569

7cd89f03-bb58-4c81-ba0f-c3b0811a6a5d_1_105_c-jpeg.4570

Rob Caldwell
Mooresville (14A), North Carolina
EAA Chapter 309
Bearhawk Model B Builder

Did you call Dynon or Avidyne and ask the people who manufactured the equipment? Just a wild thought.

Did you call Dynon or Avidyne and ask the people who manufactured the equipment? Just a wild thought.
Been working with the company that built my panel and purchased the Avionics from.

Avidyne should be set to ADSB+ and Dynon to Avidyne or ADSB+ (G) and the Dynon to Garmin GNS. Also, you need a 1.21k resistor inline with that signal wire or it won’t work.

So I thought I would try this and set the IFD540 from Aviation to MapMX. My Dynon now says "GPS 1 FAIL".

Garmin GNS is not offered on the Dynon. Only GARMIN ADS-B/ADS-B+

Garmin ADS-B+ Would be the one. The arinc module gets aviation data and the transponder gets ads-b+ with the resistor. They are separate outputs from the Avidyne. They both happen to be pin # 3, but they are different components with different needs. MapMX will not work.

Give me a call at 352-four two seven-0285.

Give me a call at 352-four two seven-0285.
Thanks for taking my phone call Jesse. Extremely helpful!

I went ahead and replaced the wire from Pin 58 of the 5001 connector on the Avidyne to Pin 3 for the SV-XNPDR-261. I included the 1.21K Ohm resistor. It now works! See the attached pic of the Skyview HDX.

However, I am now receiving the following error message on the IFD540. See pic.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_3105.JPG
    IMG_3105.JPG
    157.5 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_3106.JPG
    IMG_3106.JPG
    185.8 KB · Views: 20
Glad I could help. If you get that with theDynon in settings mode, it’s not sending 419 data. Exit settings & see if it goes away. You should see a magenta heading but in map from the Dynon if it starts working. Otherwise, ring out the ARINC out A & B wires on the arinc module to the ARINC in 1 A&B wires on the IFD.

Glad I could help. If you get that with theDynon in settings mode, it’s not sending 419 data. Exit settings & see if it goes away. You should see a magenta heading but in map from the Dynon if it starts working. Otherwise, ring out the ARINC out A & B wires on the arinc module to the ARINC in 1 A&B wires on the IFD.

I should have clarified, the pic of the Dynon was just demonstrating the XNPDR was compliant and GPS Data was OK. :) The error message on the Avidyne was with the Dynon in normal PFD mode.

Sounds like I will be checking for continuity on all the ARINC wires to the IFD tomorrow... :(

It’s just 2 wires, but you could try turning the vhf arinc 429 input to high first.

I have it fixed now. Seems I bent a pin when I reinstalled the IFD, even as gentle as I tried to be. Fixed the pin and all is working now. Thanks again for your help.

That will do it. Glad it’s all working.

Back