Young Eagles - Count Me Out :(

We have a pattern we fly and we just have the faster planes head further out and join back up in the 45. Also, pilots can use their ADSB display to find the gaps and adjust for spacing. Our volunteer planes have ADSB out, but also the kids with their young, sharp eyes are great at spotting planes and it's fun for them.

We did it 5 minute legs with the last a slow wide s to enter the 45 on way back... worked well the flow was smooth... I never felt crowded and we had 8 or 9 of us going... I waited once for a plane on short final... other than that one wud be taking runway as another was entering DW...

Curious exactly what you mean by flying to one airport and then to the next. etc. EAA rules do not allow a Young Eagle flight to land at an airport other than the one it took off from, unless the airport suddenly becomes closed.
Sorry, was not talking about young eagles in particular.... Different program that flies kids and we can land at other airports.

As a chapter president and YE coordinator I want to thank you all for helping with YEs. I would also also encourage you to start the Flying Start program with your chapters as it is basically YEs for adults. The flights are limited to one passenger per plane so it will just be you and them. Also you have a lot less restrictions than YE such as being allowed to land at another airport and no real time limit.

Flew another YE event today. Two flights of two. The second had a 17 year old girl sitting up front with her younger sister in back. She flew about 50% of the route and held altitude and heading like a pro, even through turns.

As a chapter president and YE coordinator I want to thank you all for helping with YEs. I would also also encourage you to start the Flying Start program with your chapters as it is basically YEs for adults. The flights are limited to one passenger per plane so it will just be you and them. Also you have a lot less restrictions than YE such as being allowed to land at another airport and no real time limit.
We were joking it should be called the Bald Eagles event :D

I did another event Saturday as well. Had the same conversation with a different senior pilot. Very respectfully reminded him of who was the PIC of my aircraft. Mooneys aren’t built to fly slow. I did that at Oshkosh and burned through a quart of oil just like that.

I don’t think anyone followed the plan. I did have to kick out a parent (we fly them when things slow down), couldn’t fit a set belt around him. His daughter didn’t seem to mind much. Landings were all good, thank Odin. This time there was a Bo in the mix. Had a couple beauty pageant winners from the local Strawberry festival show up in their regalia. They were so cute.

It is a Boy Scout rule, called "Two-Deep".

To quote from the policy:
  • Two-deep leadership is required on all outings. A minimum of two registered adult leaders — or one registered leader and a participating Scout’s parent or another adult — is required for all trips and outings. One of these adults must be 21 years of age or older.
  • One-on-one contact between adults and youth members is prohibited.
https://blog.scoutingmagazine.org/2...wo-deep-leadership-and-no-one-on-one-contact/

Nothing new. I recall that being the policy when I was a Scout leader in the late 1980s / early 1990s. BSA has been serious about this for far longer than most other organizations.

Back in 2015 EAA Chapter 690 began a Youth Build Program. Our youth earn credits for the hours they work on the projects. Jeremy was one of our first youth to take advantage of the credits he earned. On April 1st of 2017 Jeremy soloed, on March 30th of 2018, his 17th Birthday, Jeremy earned his Private Pilot Certificate and on June 27th of this year Jeremy became an Instrument Rated Private Pilot.

BTW, Jeremy has flown 21 Young Eagles for our chapter since becoming a Private Pilot.
Jeremy Welch Solo 2.jpg IMG_0044.jpeg IMG_2153.jpeg Jeremy w-YE-6-1_1.jpg

I would add one more. In 2008 our chapter flew the kids that were part of the local Tuskegee Airmen's Summer Camp. We flew one youngster by the name of Joshua Dobbs. Google is your friend.
What some sorta aeronautical engineer or sumthin? Josh is a heckuva guy... And I'm an Iowa fan....

EppyGA, that is really very cool... If I get my medical and get current again, I may just do this... What a great opportunity... Just one kid, that's all it takes to make the whole thing worthwhile.

Last edited:
I went to the briefing for a local YE event today. Our local chapter canceled their event last year and as I have never done it, I had been interested in flying people in my plane. The event is next week and I have decided to opt out. They are going to make the kids all wear face masks and gloves and the pilots are *strongly* encouraged to wear face masks too... not sure how all that will work out with headsets and communications. Gloves for the pilots seems like it would not work with touch-screen avionics in many cases.

It all just seemed like too many restrictions. I can take people flying on my own through friends and family and get just as much out of it.

The gloves are over kill.

I wear a mask on Angel Flights. I put the mic inside the mask. Not as good a seal on the mask, but we're in a very small space for one to two hours, sometimes longer, so I'm not sure how much the mask helps. It certainly helps talking with ATC.

I agree it might be better to wait a little longer with those procedures.

Wayne

Nothing new. I recall that being the policy when I was a Scout leader in the late 1980s / early 1990s. BSA has been serious about this for far longer than most other organizations.

Somehow some of the Boy Scouts leadership interpreted “Two Deep” as something-else-deep. And they applied the new interpretation rather well.

Your experience was clearly different than mine. I have given hundreds of young eagles rides since the program started. The look on some of their faces is priceless the first time they go fly. If they get hooked, great. If they find a STEM job in the aviation industry awesome.

I fly my first event next weekend. So far we have 9 planes and 8 kids signed up, but they expect the number of kids to triple by next week.

My first experience with Young Eagles was when my son and I went for breakfast at the airport one Sunday. We sat by the window to watch the planes. But, there was a group of 4 pilots at the next table who were having a very animated discussion about flying and having a really good time laughing and joking. Putting 2 and 2 together, I figured these were the guys that were flying the gaggle of RV-4s parked on the ramp outside.

I introduced myself, and told them I was planning on building "one of those new RV-8 kits" when I retired from the Navy. My son and I were immediately invited to join the group. By the time breakfast was over, these guys had already agreed that my son was riding in one of the RV-4s and I would ride in another, in a 2-ship formation flight. Off we went, with our pilots explaining about the airplanes, and about flying in formation.

After a few minutes, my pilot radioed the other one that "it was on!" We then squared off for demo of a 1V1 "dogfight". Nothing too serious. But, fun as all heck!

It turned out this was the famous "BlackJack Squadron". And, our 2 pilots were retired Air Force fighter pilots. Back at the airport, the pilot my son flew with pulled a YE certificate out, filled in the blanks and presented it to my son. He was ecstatic! That flight was all he could talk about for days. Today, my son is a pilot in the Navy.

I think some of the fun has been lost from YE these days. At least from what I've seen. Out of the necessity to "protect" the EAA and member pilots from liability concerns, it just seems too regimented, and over produced. Not like that Sunday morning, long ago.

Somehow some of the Boy Scouts leadership interpreted “Two Deep” as something-else-deep. And they applied the new interpretation rather well.

you think that was clever, but really it just came across as pompous. Some perverts took advantage of children under their care and helped ruined a good organization. There’s no place for humor in that equation unless you’re trying to trivialize it. Let’s try to keep it in perspective.

downer? Sure, I’ll own that and repeat it every time it comes up.

Oh, and no mention of masks let alone gloves.

When YE started having background checks, I quit. In someways I understand. But you are with the children for 20 minutes while trying to fly an airplane. Not sure what I could do even if I wanted to. Then the hyper parents.

I went to the briefing for a local YE event today. Our local chapter canceled their event last year and as I have never done it, I had been interested in flying people in my plane. The event is next week and I have decided to opt out. They are going to make the kids all wear face masks and gloves and the pilots are *strongly* encouraged to wear face masks too... not sure how all that will work out with headsets and communications. Gloves for the pilots seems like it would not work with touch-screen avionics in many cases.

It all just seemed like too many restrictions. I can take people flying on my own through friends and family and get just as much out of it.

Our original intention was to require masks but after hearing another chapter nearby got major pushback on that we decided to hold a meeting with everyone to discuss what to do. We won't make everyone happy but hopefully including more people in the decision making process will help.

When YE started having background checks, I quit. In someways I understand. But you are with the children for 20 minutes while trying to fly an airplane. Not sure what I could do even if I wanted to. Then the hyper parents.
This was a decision by the Risk Mgt dept at EAA....the lawyers. I argued against them because they were being done by a commercial company and pretty much limited to the state drivers’ license office. As a CAP member, my background check is FBI and national.

This was a decision by the Risk Mgt dept at EAA....the lawyers. I argued against them because they were being done by a commercial company and pretty much limited to the state drivers’ license office. As a CAP member, my background check is FBI and national.
Oh, I knew it was the lawyers. That is what they do. Doesn’t mean that the EAA has to listen to them. The EAA’s action on this issue contributed, in part, to the dissolution of our chapter. I heard other chapters dissolved and quit the EAA as well. I still hang out with the same guys, but we are just not an EAA chapter and we don’t have to pay the dues. For me, I found it insulting and not just a little bit stupid. My time, my plane, my Fuel.

you think that was clever, but really it just came across as pompous. Some perverts took advantage of children under their care and helped ruined a good organization. There’s no place for humor in that equation unless you’re trying to trivialize it. Let’s try to keep it in perspective.

downer? Sure, I’ll own that and repeat it every time it comes up.

I read what you posted three times this morning.

I agree. Thank you for keeping my “clever” in with a reality check.

It is so worth it to fly kids. I've never been nervous and 95% of kids are grateful, funny, smart, respectful, and engaged. Once one set of girls was way too cool for their own good, but they still said thanks at the end. We do high school and middle school kids. Most of the time, they can't stop smiling and the younger ones are quivering with excitement when they land to tell others about what they did.

Funny: One kid asked if I could do a knife edge maneuver. In a Tecnam Eaglet? Nope, but you can look at the little houses and cars and do some shallow turns.

Inspiring: (Second hand) The young lady was nervous about going up, but she overcame that and decided to go. Once up, the pilot offered to let her fly. Wide eyed, she said she couldn't do that. But he insisted and again, she stepped up and took the controls. Being a CFI, he had her do turns, ascent/descents, etc. As she flew he looked at her in surprise thinking she was a ringer. But nope, never flew before as she held altitude, heading, and speed. She looked at him and said, "I can do this!". The pilot laughed and said, "Yes, you certainly can".

Wonder: The one girl kept saying over and over, "This is so beautiful!". The other said, "It seems scary on the ground, but up here it isn't!". The third one said,"This is the coolest thing I've ever done in my life!"

Heart breaking: There was a conference for the blind over in D.C., so some of the parents arranged to come over with their sight-impaired/blind children for airplane rides. The flight school offered free rides. One girl wanted to fly over Pennsylvania, so the pilot took her up to the MD/PA state line and circled. Though she couldn't see, she was thrilled. She could feel the vibration of the plane and the G-forces as he circled. They actually took her up a second time.

The second boy was profoundly blind, white cane and all. He held my arm as I guided him to the plane. I took his cane and we helped him up over the wing into the cockpit. He was all smiles as we buckled him in. The pilot latched the canopy and the boy waved out at the ground crew and parents he couldn't see. After the flight he was all smiles, thanking the pilot and everyone around him. I gave him back his cane and guided him back to the fenced area. He went on about how wonderful it was and described what it felt like to take off, turn, listen to the engine and the wind and finally land.

I look for and treasure these moments when doing YE, even just as ground crew. Flight is wonderful but sharing it with kids is even better. Give it a second try and I think you'll find it provides some of the most precious moments you'll ever have as a pilot.

Wonderful. Very inspiring. Just guessing anyone who works with children; teachers, coaches, community mentors, live to see the light go on or comfort in perhaps a fuse was lit for future activation.

At 18, a good person in our community heard I liked planes at air shows and took me up twice in a 182. I really enjoyed it but was kind of put off by small plane GA safety and decided not to pursue. Not because of him as his plane was immaculate and he a high-time commercial pilot I could tell he was covering over disappointment.

35 years later I got my license and bought a 182P. It stemmed back to that introductory flight. In my case he just lit a slow fuse.

Last edited:
I read what you posted three times this morning.

I agree. Thank you for keeping my “clever” in with a reality check.

Classy. Please do the same for me.

As others have said, it all depends. Some kids get more excited than others. Some EAA chapters have a better handle on the logistics and ground operations than others. Of course everything is more fun on a fair-weather day than with gusty winds or a low overcast. But it can be very rewarding.

Back