Faulty Assumptions - Air Safety Institute

Pilot was so concerned about being over gross that he thought 24 lbs of fuel was the problem?

Maybe just me, but I’m petrified of running out of fuel. I know being over gross should be avoided, but it doesn’t worry me like running low on gas would.

I remember that day. Wife is a CPA and was meeting with a client from Kerrville. When she found out he was a pilot, she told him I was too, and he said “oh, did you hear about the crash in Kerrville this morning?” Since she shows no interest and generally knows no details of my flying, she had to text to see if I would answer.

Another sad video. I fly an airplane with a very accurate totalizer, every time it is spot on when I get to refuel it. Even so, I refuse to trust it most of the time. Meaning, if I have flown it and confirmed what it reads visually before I started flying it, I will trust it when my plan says I will arrive on a vfr flight with at least 20 gallons of fuel. IFR flights, I'll refuel in that situation. First flight, I need to see the gas at tabs (60 gallons) or full 92 gallons or I will refuel. There are certain things as GA pilots we just shouldn't skimp on, fuel is one of them.

Yes, the old saying "The only time you have too much fuel is when you are on fire!" holds true.

No place to pull over up there if you run out of gas. I usually don't even calculate - unless there are particularly strong winds. I need to be down within 3 hours - just my flying way... So always full before I leave, and rarely 4 passengers. Never four lard asses like me. And I'm on the east coast - rarely a density altitude problem.
RIP

Back