Flying Small GA to Cuba - Three Amigos & Music

wayneda40

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
waynemcc
Rolling back the calendar to 2016, with best buds Bill and Joe, we flew from California, to Cuba, and then onward to Guatemala, and returned up the Mexican Pacific coast. Our 5 days in Cuba were absolutely amazing, the people very kind, and the days music-filled. In this video we overview the process of flying small GA to Cuba, and provide links to documents with details on planning and logistics. I believe I can speak for the team, if we get the opportunity to go back to Cuba… amigos, we’re there! Welcome aboard! Wayne, GeezerGeek Pilot

Last edited:
Nice!

I have always wanted to go there, but can’t stomach supporting the regime.

Sounds like a pretty cool trip. Any hassles when entering US again with customs??

Sounds like a pretty cool trip. Any hassles when entering US again with customs??
It was a very interesting and enjoyable trip. As detailed in the video, we went during the approx 2 year period when it was completely legal per the US Treasury Dept to fly GA into Cuba and spend a limited time there (under one of a dozen categories/purposes). We went as a single aircraft and under the 'humanitarian' category, but I know that flying organizations (e.g. Baja Bush Pilots) flew in as groups of aircraft. During this period, returning to the US either directly from Cuba or as we did via Mexico would have no basis for concern by US CBP or US Treasury Dept. So in answer to your question, we experienced no hassles or slowdown whatsoever. Thanks for checking in.

I did a similar trip in 2016 and CBP in Key West upon our return was very easy with no trouble at all. Leaving Havana was a bit of a paper chase for flight plans, fuel receipts etc and a wait while they searched our plane for stowaways (how many people do they think can hide in a Dakota?).

I did a similar trip in 2016 and CBP in Key West upon our return was very easy with no trouble at all. Leaving Havana was a bit of a paper chase for flight plans, fuel receipts etc and a wait while they searched our plane for stowaways (how many people do they think can hide in a Dakota?).
Glad your trip also went well. Maybe since our outbound destination was Cozumel there wasn't the stowaway concern :).

Back