LSA training

TRC1969

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
TRC
I discovered today that my class 3 medical will not happen until next summer sometime due to required time off certain meds. My question is if I go the LSA route, then when things clear up for my class 3 medical what will be needed to step up to the next level? I thought I read the LSA hours counted (in part) toward PPL. Thanks everybody in advance.

Compare and contrast the applicable FARs

Sport Pilot: Part 61, Subpart J (Sections 301 to 327)

Private Pilot: Part 61, Subpart E (Sections 102
To 117)

Online version of Part 61 at this link

Just curious in your situation, would you be in compliance with 61.303(b)(3)?

An LSA is an aircraft that meets the weight / speed / seat limits and can be flown under the sport pilot rules. You can solo without a medical except as noted below.
You can pretty much do 100% of your training for a private rating in an LSA if you wish (exceptions would be weight shift and things like that). Lots of pilots got their tickets in what are now LSAs before the LSA definition existed.
Used to be training given by a Sport Pilot CFI didn't count towards a private, now it does.
I assume you did not actually apply for and get your medical deferred - if so, you can indeed solo an LSA under the sport pilot rules. If your medical was deferred by the AME/FAA then you can't solo until it is sorted - LSA or not.

No I have not applied for my medical. Brain injury in 2012. Im perfectly fine now but you can imagine how this is going to go. FAA neuro cog eval...medical records...ect...I will do sport pilot and when my medical is ready to represent to the FAA I will next year I will apply. And my CFI is sport pilot and PPL so it will count. I just want to fly. I originally decided on sport pilot because of my medical. Then I read you could just lie, then I read and decided that was a really bad idea. When I actually got looking into the class 3 medical i quickly found out I needed the right AME to handle my situation. I will only apply when all test are done and everything is ready for the FAA. There was a time when I was fine with sport pilot( Czech Sport Cruiser). then I discovered the Cirrus SR22. My plan was get my PPl then buy the SR22 for my instrument training. This just moves the Cirrus plan about a year farther down the road. Im still very excited to get started.

Just curious in your situation, would you be in compliance with 61.303(b)(3)?

I guess that would be up to me decide if Im reading that correctly (b4) I have no condition (any longer) that would make me unable to operate a LSA. As far as b(3). I haven't applied for my medical yet so nothing has been suspended, revoked, or deferred. I think im good to go unless im missing something.

Keep in mind that when you do present your application for FAA medical, if it is deferred you won't be able to fly LSA anymore until your medical is granted. As far as I know, a brain injury will be a deferral.

I never considered that. Good point, bad news but a good point.

Don't go for the actual medical yet. Do a consult with the AME, don't do ANY paperwork for it yet.
The time you log as LSA will ONLY apply towards PPL if in fact you complete the LSA cert.

Don't go for the actual medical yet. Do a consult with the AME, don't do ANY paperwork for it yet.
The time you log as LSA will ONLY apply towards PPL if in fact you complete the LSA cert.

So I should complete LSA 100% so if my medical is deferred, and it will be then LSA will count toward PPL. That makes sense.

I do have a consultation on the 14th. No paperwork will be done and definitely no application.

The first part I agree with. The second part -- where on earth did you get that?

Im sorry what 2nd part. Im sure im probably wrong. This is such a learning process.

Oops I guess you weren't referring to my post but a reply....

So I should complete LSA 100% so if my medical is deferred, and it will be then LSA will count toward PPL. That makes sense.

Keep in mind that if your medical is deferred or denied, you can't fly LSA even if you are already certified. Since you expect a deferral, you need to be prepared for a likely extensive, possibly permanent, grounding once you apply for your Class 3.

Just seems silly that LSA certification gets wiped out because you can’t get a class 3. Isn’t that the whole idea of LSA medical requirement?

Just seems silly that LSA certification gets wiped out because you can’t get a class 3. Isn’t that the whole idea of LSA medical requirement?

Meaning you lose the ability to fly LSA if you're deferred or denied? If so, yeah it is.

Last edited:
I’m probably just going to go LSA and forget about class 3. My goal was ultimately Cirrus SR 22 for personal travel. I guess VFR at 115kts in a sport cruiser will have to do.

Sport Pilot training hours is all applicable toward a Private Pilot ticket, so it's not time wasted. You can always pursue the private pilot certificate later.

Meaning you lose the ability to fly LSA if you're deferred or denied? If so, yeah it is.
No, it's not. You can fly as long as you have NOT been denied or deferred. Like it or not... that's the way it is.
I’m probably just going to go LSA and forget about class 3. My goal was ultimately Cirrus SR 22 for personal travel. I guess VFR at 115kts in a sport cruiser will have to do.
120 KTAS if you fly an RV-12 with wheel pants. Mine will do it all day long.

I have already started ground school (King) and signed up with a school. The CFI’s are all light sport and PPL so all the hours will count. I have this forum to thank for that bit of advice concerning the right kind of school. There are a lot of possibilities for the future, LSA is going to change sooner than later, maybe heavier, faster, who knows. Maybe additional aircraft will fall under the regulation. Probably not my SR 22 but maybe the SR 20. I think medical regs should change. It seems to me if you can fly LSA then any single engine piston aircraft operating VFR should be legal. Maybe not all of them but 172,s and the like should definitely fall under the reg. Just seems stupid, yes thats right stupid!!!! A medical issue that you only have on paper, makes it unsafe to fly a 172 with steam gauges but you can fly Czech Sport Cruise with avionics and auto pilot. Maybe it’s just me but that does NOT make any damn sense....

Last edited:
I hope whatever changes they propose will come with less restrictions an not more.

I have done a lot of reading about what people think may change. Of course they really don’t know but from what I’m reading they have discussed including more aircraft under LSA, allowing a heavier aircraft, more speed, and some type of automatic adjusting prop. I also read they may allow 4 seats but I doubt it. We will have to wait and see. I think they have until 2022 dec31 to implement whatever changes are coming.

I think medical regs should change. It seems to me if you can fly LSA then any single engine piston aircraft operating VFR should be legal. Maybe not all of them but 172,s and the like should definitely fall under the reg. Just seems stupid, yes thats right stupid!!!! A medical issue that you only have on paper, makes it unsafe to fly a 172 with steam gauges but you can fly Czech Sport Cruise with avionics and auto pilot. Maybe it’s just me but that does NOT make any damn sense....

Amen brother!

I have done a lot of reading about what people think may change. Of course they really don’t know but from what I’m reading they have discussed including more aircraft under LSA, allowing a heavier aircraft, more speed, and some type of automatic adjusting prop. I also read they may allow 4 seats but I doubt it. We will have to wait and see. I think they have until 2022 dec31 to implement whatever changes are coming.

I think they may allow 4 seat airplanes, but only allowed 1 passenger.

That is what was allowed under the unsuccessful "Recreational Pilot" certificate, which failed because it still required a medical.
Among numerous other reasons. It was a perfect illustration of the saying, “The juice isn’t worth the squeeze”.

Truer words have never before been spoken. FAA medical policy for LSA is basically “don’t ask, don’t tell.”
I look at it as more like, "It's between you and your doctor to determine whether or not you're fit to fly". I see my regular doc and my cardiologist once a year each, and ask them every time if there's any reason I shouldn't be flying.

If you have the funds there are some tremendous LSA aircraft available. Such as Bristell:

eyJidWNrZXQiOiJ0YXAtYXNzZXRzMSIsImVkaXRzIjp7InJlc2l6ZSI6eyJ3aWR0aCI6NzAwLCJmaXQiOiJjb250YWluIiwiYmFja2dyb3VuZCI6eyJhbHBoYSI6MSwiciI6MjU1LCJiIjoyNTUsImciOjI1NX19LCJzbWFydE92ZXJsYXkiOnsiYnVja2V0IjoidGFwLWFzc2V0czEiLCJrZXkiOiJ3YXRlcm1hcmsucG5nIn19LCJrZXkiOiI3Mjk1MDYuanBnIn0=

eyJidWNrZXQiOiJ0YXAtYXNzZXRzMSIsImVkaXRzIjp7InJlc2l6ZSI6eyJ3aWR0aCI6NzAwLCJmaXQiOiJjb250YWluIiwiYmFja2dyb3VuZCI6eyJhbHBoYSI6MSwiciI6MjU1LCJiIjoyNTUsImciOjI1NX19LCJzbWFydE92ZXJsYXkiOnsiYnVja2V0IjoidGFwLWFzc2V0czEiLCJrZXkiOiJ3YXRlcm1hcmsucG5nIn19LCJrZXkiOiI3Mjk1MDUuanBnIn0=

Listing: https://www.trade-a-plane.com/searc...l=BRISTELL&listing_id=2388622&s-type=aircraft

I just did some research about recreational pilot. I guess my question is why would anybody spend the time and money to only fly 50 miles? And it still requires a medical! Wow that’s a lose lose situation... I then read there were only about 250 Rec pilots in the whole country. I guess there is some
use for it but just seems very restrictive with the distance.

I just did some research about recreational pilot. I guess my question is why would anybody spend the time and money to only fly 50 miles? And it still requires a medical! Wow that’s a lose lose situation... I then read there were only about 250 Rec pilots in the whole country. I guess there is some
use for it but just seems very restrictive with the distance.
Rec pilot really doesn’t make much sense, which is why so few went that route. I was very slightly tempted to get a Rec Pilot cert halfway through PP training, just to be able to fly with an actual certificate (and passenger) earlier, but it wasn’t worth the cost of the extra check ride.

Back