Snow

SkyChaser

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
SkyChaser
It is going to snow during what was supposed to be my checkride this weekend. SNOW!!! Who gave it permission to do that?!?! So yeah, checkride attempt #2 is also a no-go, same reason as last time - crazy winds and snow.

Third time's the charm? Whenever that is... :rolleyes:

You can fly in snow reduced visibility can be expected. Ask me how I know...:rolleyes: Not sure how the DPE would feel, most likely not positive, but I have no idea.

Super rude! Nice IFR weather tomorrow next door to you to get some actual in for my IR but the CFII went out of town. Sad face.

Ugh, sorry to hear! Hang in there, it’ll happen!

It is going to snow during what was supposed to be my checkride this weekend. SNOW!!! Who gave it permission to do that?!?! So yeah, checkride attempt #2 is also a no-go, same reason as last time - crazy winds and snow.

Third time was a charm for me. Head up

That’s what you get for living in Minnesota. Have you considered moving south?

I thought she lived in Iowa?

(But that just means you get the same weather as Minnesota, 10 minutes later).

I thought she lived in Iowa?

(But that just means you get the same weather as Minnesota, 10 minutes later).
Nah, Iowa gets weather somewhere between what Chicago and or Green Bay gets...:rolleyes:

That’s what you get for living in Minnesota. Have you considered moving south?

I am actually in the process of moving south...but it's very slow. It's also the reason I want to just get my checkride done already. LOL My parents are moving to Texas as soon as they can sell the current house and buy another. As that leaves me homeless, I'm taking advantage of that fact to find a more hospitable climate. Sorry @NealRomeoGolf - I tried to stay (sorta, kinda, not really) but I'm about done with this weather, which gives me about an even half-dozen of compelling reasons to go south.

BTW, y'all were close, but @Half Fast is right - I live in Minnesota and fly out of an Iowa airport (but it's only 20ish miles over the border, so Minnesota weather).

Snow flying is fun. Forward visibility can be next to nil- Star Wars leap to hyperspace feel. But if you look down you can see far!

I am actually in the process of moving south...but it's very slow. It's also the reason I want to just get my checkride done already. LOL My parents are moving to Texas as soon as they can sell the current house and buy another. As that leaves me homeless, I'm taking advantage of that fact to find a more hospitable climate. Sorry @NealRomeoGolf - I tried to stay (sorta, kinda, not really) but I'm about done with this weather, which gives me about an even half-dozen of compelling reasons to go south.

BTW, y'all were close, but @Half Fast is right - I live in Minnesota and fly out of an Iowa airport (but it's only 20ish miles over the border, so Minnesota weather).
Noooooo!!!! You can have my basement. Anything. You can get PA32 time! Don't be a Texan!!

Alas, it is a lost cause.

P.S. Me: Born in Texas. College in Texas. Enough Texas for me.

Noooooo!!!! You can have my basement. Anything. You can get PA32 time! Don't be a Texan!!

LOL! I didn't say *I* would necessarily stay there, but thanks for the offer anyway! I am attempting to use it as a short stop-over on the way to other southern destinations, so hopefully it's not quite a lost cause. :)

I’m curious where this checkride was supposed to be? I wasn’t aware of any forecasted snow in northern Iowa or southern Minnesota.

If the examiner is willing, I wouldn’t pull the plug until the last minute on the checkride.

So you chose Illinois???

I’m curious where this checkride was supposed to be? I wasn’t aware of any forecasted snow in northern Iowa or southern Minnesota.

If the examiner is willing, I wouldn’t pull the plug until the last minute on the checkride.

Yup, neither would I, forecasts aren't that reliable and sometimes the best flying is a few hours before a storm.

Just to be clear, the examiner was the one that cancelled it. If I had the final say, I'd be sitting here on pins and needles watching the forecast and hoping it would change. :p It's more of a "little things add up", I think. Between the snow and the wind, which is supposed to be from the direction that makes it a very, very stiff crosswind component for both runways, and the visibility/ceiling forecast, and the temperature, etc., etc., etc...a lot would have to change before it would be even a decent day!

The weather has indeed been crummy. But no snow forecast that I am aware of. Where was there supposed to be snow?

So. @SkyChaser , do you have a new date for the check ride?

Not yet. The examiner said he was going to see if he could find me a time in early May, though...so possibly soon. And hopefully he'll tell me at least a couple days before!

@SkyChaser

I had the same DPE for PPL, IR and MEL.
All three had multiple cancelations due to weather. All three, she called me a few days later and said someone cancelled, can you get here in an hour?

In terms of weather, I have always felt that there is only so much you can take off but you can always put more on. Further, as you get older there is always less that you should take off!

Good luck

Tim

Sent from my HD1907 using Tapatalk

Just a data point, the day Skychaser said it would snow I also had my doubts. We live near the Twin Cities and that very day at about 3pm we looked out the window and it was snowing. Crazy weather.

Now yesterday and tomorrow...them be checkride days!!! I hope you can get your ride in then (if not already)

Just a data point, the day Skychaser said it would snow I also had my doubts. We live near the Twin Cities and that very day at about 3pm we looked out the window and it was snowing. Crazy weather.

Now yesterday and tomorrow...them be checkride days!!! I hope you can get your ride in then (if not already)

I don’t see anything that stated a specific day, just the “weekend”. Saturday would have been an ok day in northern iowa from what I remember but Sunday would have been a no-go here, snow or not. (We didn’t get snow but I know they did north of us.)

While it appears the weather didn’t work out and was as forecast, it seems to me that the examiner pulled the plug on this awfully early. It makes me wonder if it was a convenient excuse because something came up? I’ve never had a DPE cancel on me or one of my students like this.

QED: Mother Nature hates checkrides.

-Skip

Gee , I didn't know you could take dates on a check ride. ;)
I’m pretty sure they were referring to calendar dates. The other kind of date requires you to pass the check ride first to become a real pilot. :cool:

Gee , I didn't know you could take dates on a check ride. ;)

I’m pretty sure they were referring to calendar dates. The other kind of date requires you to pass the check ride first to become a real pilot. :cool:

Yes, calendar dates...but apparently, if you schedule the checkride enough times, even if you never take it, the result is the same. ;)

Joking aside, I still haven't gotten my ride rescheduled. I am guessing that the DPE is waiting for a cancellation on a good weather day, but I haven't heard from him at all. How many times is it okay to contact him and ask, if he's not responding? He prefers texting, so I texted him last Sunday, but I haven't heard back at all. He hasn't talked to my instructor either. Is it okay to text again, even though he didn't reply last week? I don't want to nag, but I'd also like to know something at this point!

A text once or twice a week should be fine, until you get a date. If he is like most busy people, the pleasantly squeaky wheels get the grease.

A text once or twice a week should be fine, until you get a date.
Again, I think we are talking about calendar dates. It’s probably better to call for the other kind instead of texting repeatedly.

Sorry, those jokes write themselves.

For the examiner, I would agree. Text weekly and maybe call every second week. Don’t pester but don’t fall through the cracks, either.

Back