Aerial views

Sadly, as the years have passed the Skagit Tulip crop has increasingly been replaced with more lucrative crops. These photos are from 2004:
Skagit.6.640x480.jpg 05.Skagit.Flowers.jpg

Interstate 80?

I wonder what that load is. Not only is it so wide that it occupies pretty much two lanes, it must also be mighty heavy to require all those wheels.

Interstate 80?

I wonder what that load is. Not only is it so wide that it occupies pretty much two lanes, it must also be mighty heavy to require all those wheels.
Yes, I-80. I was wondering, too. I suspect they needed more than one of those things, since I saw this a minute earlier going the other way:
JAK_8812 by Jack Silver, on Flickr

Interstate 80?

And it looks like it's meant to stabilize the load and spread it evenly on the chassis.

Interesting trucks
JAK_8809 by Jack Silver, on Flickr

It likely a switch gear box for either a solar field or wind farm. Just a guess probably weighs in the 150-200k range. The reason for all the axles is in fact due to the weight. You can only have some many pounds of ground pressure on each axle, and also have to meet the federal bridge law which is a formula used to figure how much weight you are putting on the bridges vs how much length you have.

Thats the horribly explained condense version....

It likely a switch gear box for either a solar field or wind farm. Just a guess probably weighs in the 150-200k range. The reason for all the axles is in fact due to the weight. You can only have some many pounds of ground pressure on each axle, and also have to meet the federal bridge law which is a formula used to figure how much weight you are putting on the bridges vs how much length you have.

It all makes sense to me. Thanks.

You can only have some many pounds of ground pressure on each axle, and also have to meet the federal bridge law which is a formula used to figure how much weight you are putting on the bridges vs how much length you have.

Dad was the chief engineer, later VP of engineering, for Fruehauf. I remember him telling me many years ago about "Michigan Centipedes" with 11 to 13 axles. They've got some different highway laws there.

Harpers Ferry WV. Maryland to the left, Virginia to the top and WV to the right and the intersection of the Potomac and Shenandoah rivers.

Qzi7fLY.jpg

Dad was the chief engineer, later VP of engineering, for Fruehauf. I remember him telling me many years ago about "Michigan Centipedes" with 11 to 13 axles. They've got some different highway laws there.

No kidding... I'm still running some mid 90's Fruehauf tank trailers daily. Hands down the best trailer ever built.

Yes in MI I believe they can run 160k on 13 axles total.

No kidding... I'm still running some mid 90's Fruehauf tank trailers daily. Hands down the best trailer ever built.

Yes in MI I believe they can run 160k on 13 axles total.
Dad was with the Liquid & Bulk Tank division for over 40 years. Guaranteed the trailers you’re running were his designs and have at least a few of his patents on them.

Funny story. I wanted an aerial view for the cover of my new book. I was going to take the airplane out and get some when a friend mentioned that there's all sorts of free stock photos on the internet. They were right and I'm really happy with the cover I made. All I have to do now is finish the rest of the book.

Funny story. I wanted an aerial view for the cover of my new book. I was going to take the airplane out and get some when a friend mentioned that there's all sorts of free stock photos on the internet. They were right and I'm really happy with the cover I made. All I have to do now is finish the rest of the book.
I'm sure you truly checked, but make sure the the source for the "stock" photo truly has the rights to give them away. I have a couple of images of a barn labeled with a former president's name- one of them is in this thread. I was surprised to find one of them in a news site without them even asking.
Personally, I still would have taken the airplane out- that seems like a good reason to do so.

It's difficult to see in this image, but the smoke warned me of weak wind shear. The smoke was going left until it was in line with the edge of the fields, then it was blown to the right. That sort of thing throws you off landing on a short field.

JAK_8878 by Jack Silver, on Flickr

It's difficult to see in this image, but the smoke warned me of weak wind shear. The smoke was going left until it was in line with the edge of the fields, then it was blown to the right. That sort of thing throws you off landing on a short field.
Saw a more-obvious case about 30 years back.
wind_inversion.jpg

(hopefully, the photo linked)

Ron Wanttaja

Out in the Cub on May 21, watching the cars on I90 blow past me.
Airspeed 85-90 mph. Ground speed 37 mph.
My landing speed (ground) was something like 15 mph.
Just another day in the Cub. Narration is for my grandkids.

Some tricky winds over the paper mills at Longview, Washington, New Years Day 2012:

IMG_2145.JPG

Back