Where to have a Field Overhaul

Penn Yan is expensive and my opinion over priced. While quoting shops for my O-470R overhaul, they among the most expensive and also the least amount of machining work. Their warranty was sub-par for the cost as well.

Corona Engines out of Corona Ca has good average pricing and a good benchmark for reference. Airmark out of Florida overhauls to new tolerances and frequently a lower price - just see the spectrum.

Pricing page: https://www.coronaengines.com/Engine-Overhaul

Just to add anecdata, I've had Ben at Corona Engines build several motors for me. Best one was an O-300 that went 4400 hours (1800 TBO), as well as several Skyhawk O-320s that went past 2500. He'll be doing one of my current IO-550Cs when it finally sends up the money sign. He did an IO-550B for my Vtail and an IO-520E for my last Baron. Both were humming along (~900 on the 550, ~500 on the 520) with their new owners, last I knew.

There is a sweet spot between "brand name recognition" and "non-exorbitant price" to be found with Western Skyways. They're about 15% more than a typical field OH but bring enough name recognition to add value at resale.

It's outside your geographic area, but I was pleased with the work that Don George Aircraft did when I had an engine overhaul (actually, DG had a recently overhauled engine of the same type on the shelf, so there was near-zero downtime.). I rented a U-Haul to transport the engine back to Ohio. Got a tour of the facility & they ran it on the test stand for me before I left.

The work was fairly priced.

They would be on my list to call were I doing another engine.

BUT, they're in Orlando, which is outside of your area of interest. Also in that general area is Zephyr engines, which I believe also does good work.

Orlando, which is outside of your area of interest. Also in that general area is Zephyr engines, which I believe also does good work.
And while we are mentioning that area, shout out to JB Engines in Sebring! He has with pleasure answered questions/concerns 4 years post overhaul.

If you sell while it is still "low time", you'll probably recapture the added cost of a reputable shop.

I am sure glad I majored my engine myself. It cost me 1/2 or less and I did not need to ship it anywhere. I am surprised that mechanics shy away from this. These are really simple 1935 technology tractor engines. Large displacement and slow turning. Late model cars are a different story. Very complicated.

Back