Firefly

Firefly was a favorite.

made me want to learn how to swear in Chinese

Joss Whedon prior to the Avengers. Might want to look up Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Really good, and clever in the same way. Kinda dated though.

7C16466C-685A-4F17-A871-F481CE8C38F9.jpeg
Joss Whedon prior to the Avengers. Might want to look up Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Really good, and clever in the same way. Kinda dated though.

Dollhouse was another one of his that really didn’t get the eye balls for survival

When you really look at it it's 'just another' western, but the horses have thrusters. I hate westerns, but I *love* Firefly.

Nauga,
the walking contradiction

It's just your typical SciFi-Western-character-action drama.

Yeah, but the one liners, and everything else just fit with a good pace.
Most westerns are sloooow. And I like them anyways.

Tim

Interesting insights as to why the movie didn't lead to a renewal of the series....
Ron Wanttaja

In 1998, I was busy with more important things and didn't watch television, so I missed it all...

My G_d, I had no idea this show was out there until now. Some of the best television I have ever seen, and they killed it after one season.

What a shame - good stuff!

Yes! I know a lot of people who love Firefly, myself included. The one thing we all have in common is that NONE of us knew about it when it was actually airing. No wonder it failed. Damn you, Fox!

Had to Google that one. Looks somewhat amusing but sci fi isn't my thing.

It's not really what you're thinking. It's not Star Trek. It's a Western that's set in the future. Nothing else like it. Really really great entertainment.

It's not really what you're thinking. It's not Star Trek. It's a Western that's set in the future. Nothing else like it. Really really great entertainment.
Definitely a Western...problems are solved by strategy and gunplay, not technology.

Fillion donned his Mal Reynolds outfit and gun a few years later, for a Halloween outfit in his (contemporary) "Castle" detective series. Here his daughter catches him trying it on.

"Didn't you wear that, like, five years ago? Don't you think you should move on?"

Other actors from "Firefly" also showed up on "Castle."

Ron Wanttaja

My gawd, you're making me feel old.

If you're a Shakespeare fan, check out Joss' production of "Much Ado About Nothing", starring the Whedon Repertory Company. I really like Branagh's version - full color, filmed in Italy, and one of the best opening scenes with the soldiers riding full gallop to the villa in parallel with everyone at the villa in turmoil. But Joss' is more intimate, being B&W in a smaller environment, with well-known TV actors. And a few others who've become very well-known.

Last edited:
Interesting insights as to why the movie didn't lead to a renewal of the series....
Ron Wanttaja
Some of the details in that youtube aren't exactly correct. Whedon had written other films: Toy Story, Buffy (the film), Alien Resurrection (aka Aliens 4). However Serenity was the first film he directed, altho he'd directed quite a bit of tv previous to it.

As for killing off 2 characters - that's drama. Not killing off the characters is television. David Gerrold (Trouble with Tribbles) once explained that drama television series is defined as "[fill in the blank] makes a decision" or in the case of Trek, "Kirk makes a decision". Rodenberry pitched Star Trek as "wagon train in space". A film must have serious consequences, tv shows not so much.

I really like Branagh's version - full color, filmed in Italy, and one of the best opening scenes with the soldiers riding full gallop to the villa in parallel with everyone at the villa in turmoil
Plus Michael Keaton as Dogberry was a bit of casting genius.

Dogberry: Thou wilt be condemned into everlasting redemption for this.

Back