When to repaint a plane?

I understand the possible problem painting at a public airport but what about renting a hangar at a private airstrip (like mine)?

Many (all?) states have rules on painting regardless of where you do it. For example, the state of Iowa will allow you to do some painting for personal use with no oversight. When you exceed a set amount of paint being applied within a year the department of natural resources gets involved even if you aren’t doing it for a living. They’re immediately involved with things when it is a business.

A paint shop or mechanic that is painting could potentially fly under the radar for a while at a private airport but I suspect that any legitimate business will want to do things the right way to avoid the potential for fines.

That's an option there are several around my area that offer that but the facilities are not set up for painting or fabric work.

Few people do dope and fabric any more and those that do usually have their own set up with most in my region located miles from any airport.
I am not "set up" for painting. I just have a wide open hangar and paint after wetting down the floor. Painting is really quite simple if you get one of the many "how to" books sold a auto stores. In fact I also painted the green car in my thumbnail. In fact some here paint planes out of doors on a calm day in shade of a hangar.

If one is concerned about paint fumes a painting hood is only a few hundred dollars.

Many (all?) states have rules on painting regardless of where you do it. For example, the state of Iowa will allow you to do some painting for personal use with no oversight. When you exceed a set amount of paint being applied within a year the department of natural resources gets involved even if you aren’t doing it for a living. They’re immediately involved with things when it is a business.

A paint shop or mechanic that is painting could potentially fly under the radar for a while at a private airport but I suspect that any legitimate business will want to do things the right way to avoid the potential for fines.
I hope I still live in a free state which will allow me to paint my plane, car, farm tractor, house, etc. OTH we are definitely being contaminated by ideas coming from refugees from the people's republic next door.

Back